Floor joists supported by 2X8 vertically

Can I get some advice on how to write this up? Still learning so I’m not sure. The 2x8 was not secured to the joists or pillars in any way. I want to write this up as a major defect recommending contractor take a look.
2x8 Supporting Floor Joists

Hi Levi, No one can see you photo(s) without logging in…see below screenshot.

Can you post the picture(s) on the forum directly?

Thanks. I only needed to look 1 more time to see the upload icon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Possibly:
Crawlspace has loose, unfastened, unsecured beam(s) resting on loosely stacked, unsecured piers (without footings?) and they need correction by a qualified masonry and framing contractor to secure their functional integrity.

6 Likes

Fantastic. Thank you. I’m sure I’ll learn more in the Structural courses.

What was above this? Almost looks like it was added for a specific purpose, like a big tub or big aquarium? There appears to be a block wall support right next to it.

3 Likes

Ryan, this is just prior to the bathroom, i was under and beside the remodled bathroom when taking the picture. The wall to the left is the foundation wall. This was 1 of 2 similar support beams under the home. The other was closer to the hall. The beams seemed to run under the kitchen and into the living room.

With the wall that close, the beam in question may not be primary support. May have been added to reduce a bouncy floor, etc.

6 Likes

Given this is not the main support beam, does this change how you would report the findings?

Yes, for sure. If you are pretty confident it is not part of the main critical support structure (which it does not appear to be based on your pictures, but you will have to make that call), then I would back off a bit on calling it a “major defect,” as you stated above.

I would lean more towards pointing out that additional support was added for unknown reasons, and that the support appeared to be installed without adequate fastening, securing, etc.

Below is a narrative I use when I see posts added randomly in basements. You would have to tweak it obviously to fit your scenario, but maybe it will be a good starting point for you.

Additional support posts appear to have been added in the basement.

This may indicate that some level of structural concern was observed in the past, or that some original support method was removed and replaced with the new posts.

Recommendation: Consult with the current homeowners if possible to obtain more information about the added support posts. If possible, obtain paperwork showing the additional support was designed and approved by a structural engineer or contractor. Alternatively, consult with a qualified structural contractor for evaluation of the suitability and performance of the added support posts.

7 Likes

Note: Beware of your wording when reporting this.
A single 2x8 is not a Beam.
A built-up beam is minumim 3.0 inches wide, and a solid wood beam is minimum 3.5 inches wide.
Obviously, that issue is more than you think it is, regardless it’s intended prupose.

2 Likes

Great info. Thanks.

1 Like

My two cents, 2x8 is not adequate to support a tile floor, they may have been added to stiffen the floor to keep the tile from lifting and cracking? Just a thought, I am not there seeing the whole situation.

4 Likes

One last thought about this 2x8. There is no securing of the board to the floor joists or pillars. Could this take us back to suggesting Major defect as the board could twist? I keep thinking of Minor as the home owner could correct the issue. Is this where I may be mis-wording the narrative?

I’ve found it worked well to narrate just the facts of what I see and make
a recommendation. I refer back to post #4 which seems to work whether the issue is major or minor (words not necessary)…

What do you see? And, what do you recommend?

3 Likes

That’s one reason why I, and many other professionals here, do not use either of those two words, or rarely anyway. I would just describe it as being amateurish/temporary (or additional) support and have a qualified person review and repair/replace as needed. Or similar wording.

2 Likes

interesting verbiage.

Most added subfloor supports are typically installed to help with sagging floors, bouncy floors or to support something added after the house was built. The adequacy of the subfloor is an engineering question most home inspectors shouldn’t determine. I suggest you say “additional subfloor supports have been added” and request they ask the homeowner for an explanation. In some cases there was obvious subfloor damage like broken or rotten joints, again I would refrain from determining if they were adequate or not.

2 Likes

Poor beam support leading to Possible rotation or failure.
Not secured at the top or bottom.
Not supported at the ends.
Too short.

1 Like