Fuse

This is a pic from yesterdays inspection. When fuses are present, do you recommend that they be upgraded to circuit breakers, just curious. The service also, is probably to small, 100amps, for todays electrical demands on a home.

Here in Florida many of the insurance companies will not insure the home if there are fuses. I also alway get curious when I see all new fuses, like in that box.

William
Why would the new fuses make u curious? Just curious.

I don’t have a concern with fuses ( but again some insurance companies might…not sure why however ) because they are reliable when installed right. IN fact, a good argument could be made they are more reliable than circuit breakers because of the trip factors involved in circuit breakers.

But alas…the concern starts to come in when you see double lugging on the fuses terminations and so on…meaning it simply has a capacity issue.

I always find it important to know the people you are inspecting for so that you can understand their future intent…if they plan on expanding anything, adding anything, bringing in more modern appliances and so on…because if they do a suggestion to consider an upgrade is a good one because it keeps your client aware of his/her future cost considerations.

I have heard alot of insurance companies don’t like fuses, I think it is more so the ability to over fuse the circuits…but then again you have that same possibility with a circuit breaker as well…many insurance agencies are simply protecting their liability so they know upgrading means safer in their mind and that they LIKE…alot…

I know one carrier ( statefarm actually ) that would not provide a policy for an apartment complex that had fuse panels in each unit, but they had no problem with the old AL wiring in the walls and at the terminations…go figure but thats how the companies work.

The fuses themselves don’t bother me, you have 3 15s and a 20, in type S adapters so they can’t be overfused. It is certain that they are not up to today’s standards tho since you have 4 required 20a circuits these days in addition to the the general lighting circuits. I would also be curious how the little breaker panel next to the fuse box is connected.

It is spliced into the main luggs.

Ummm. That might be an issue.:wink:

lol…go figure…yeah thats a problem.

“Why would the new fuses make u curious? Just curious.”

Because all too often it means they have tripped for some reason. Its kind of like putting freon in the AC system before the inspector gets there to pass the inspeciton. Guess I am just the skeptical type.

How can you tell that they’re new? My home uses fuses, and they’ve been in the panel for the 13 years I’ve been there (never blown, and they are properly sized for the circuits). And they look like they just came out of the box.

Many fused panels need upgrading due to the wiring issues inside the panel.

I’ve inspected very few that are absolutely perfect, but the 60 amp panels may not cut it in todays electrical needs, so I write it up as recommending an upgrade to a minimum of 100 amps.

Correct David