Gas line bonding

That’s cuz all you hillbillies are looking at it like this…

It has nothing to do with what’s flowing through the pipe, it has to do with continuity.

Hello All,

On the term “Earth Bonding”, I would guess that understanding the definition of “bonding” and “grounding, or earthing in Europe” is the source of confusion in regards to the proper terms. When we “ground” something we are establishing fundamental connections to earth for specific reasons which physically is a conductive body except in it’s use within the National Electrical Code. If in theory we never admitted it was a conductive body then I guess “stray voltage” would be none existent upon it. However, we do know that in terms of the NEC, the earth is never to be considered a conductive path to utilize for any electrical function of the wiring system.

Now, in terms of using the terms “bonded to earth” when referencing a connection between the electrical wiring systems and earth via a GEC [Grounding Electrode Conductor] to a suitably qualified electrode we are indeed in theory “bonding” the system to the earth so while it is probably a poor use of the term it is never the less an accepted statement. The only wrinkle in the theory is that the NEC does not consider the earth as a conductive body…just Earth.

The main reason using the term “bonding” with any reference to grounding is actually incorrect at all levels is basically by reading the references in Article 100. Reading “bonded” and “bonding” as well as all additional associated references to bonding clearly rules out the EARTH as any point in those definitions.

It is quite ironic that this topic would be going on since I am in the process of authoring a ebook titled :

Breaking the Electricians Code- The Basics of Electrical Grounding and Bonding for Home Inspectors

Hope that explained the use of the term a little better. And by all means it is ok to disagree with me…I am certainly no GURU.

I would disagree with that :stuck_out_tongue: Your humility always inspires me.

I learn something new daily…:slight_smile: Thank you for the compliment my friend.

That book is long over due Paul. I hope you will be completing it soon. I believe this is one of the most misunderstood topics for home inspectors.

I agree with your explaination and understand where “earth bonding” can be accurate, but I still believe it lends more to confusion than it does to an understanding of “bonding” and establishing continuity.

Agreed 100% my friend…why I am writing the ebook in an attempt to NOT get overly technical…just technical enough for a usable document.

I will let you know how it goes…im about 2/3 done right now.