GFCI Installation

I recently inspected an older home with a 2 wire system.In lieu of providing a new 3 wire system the contractor installed GFCI outlets through out the house. The bathroom and kitchen both have reset buttons,but would not trip at the outlet or at the panel breaker.I used a 3 prong tester without any success.How to I confirm that the system is working correctly,and can AFCI be provided on the same system in the bedrooms.Any advice would be appreciated.

The 3 light tester will not trip a GFI installed on a two wire setup. The correct way to test is the TEST button on the device. If the power goes off it is working. The 3 light works by sending some current to the ground pin. Since the ground pin is floating it will not complete the circuit to trip the device.

The fix provided by installing the GFI receptacle or breaker is a code compliant method. The “No Equipment Ground” sticker should have been applied to the coverplates.

AFAIK the AFCI breaker can be installed without problems if the panel will accept the breaker.

You can also test this gfci with a voltage tester. Just put 1 lead in the jot side and the other in the ground, the gfci should trip is the plug is properly wired and grounded.

I’m not sure how that would works since this receptacle is ungrounded. However as James pointed out you can use a voltage tester and go from the receptacle hot to a known grounded source like a water pipe and depending on the type of tester it will trip the GFCI.

I’ve tested this same setup with a Wiggy solenoid type tester, for the down stream outlets.

This is likely what you’re talking about, just to clarify.

I generally don’t see the required GFCI Protected AND NO Equipement Ground stickers provided on the outlets to let me know what I’m looking at… I end up stumbling across a GFCI in a sleeping or living area and go from there.

According to the NEC,* GFCI protected* stickers are not required, but the no equipment ground are.

You’re correct about the Wiggy solenoid style tester. They will generate enough of an imbalance to trip the GFCI protection provided you’re testing to a solidly grounded object… Many electronic testers or DMM’s will not.