GFCI test on and older home....need advice.

The house was built in 1955, two wire system no ground.
They installed GFCI’s in the bathrooms…the GFCI test open
ground and do not trip.

What is a good write up for this situation?

David

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x296/dawlita/Nachi/100_9041.jpg

Did you use the integral test button on the receptacle to trip it?

Yep i was about to say test with the test button only your tester will not work on Non grounded outlet, Outlet is still protected with GFCI ( as long as you tried it and it worked)

The 3 button tester may not be effective but as mentioned you should use the GFCI test button.

If properly tested, using the GFCI Test button, and did not trip, then write in your report that the GFCI receptacle did not respond to the Test button.

You should write up that the outlets are missing the required labels for “GFCI Protected” and “No Equipment Ground”

Your GFCI tester does not work on outlets that have no ground. Use the manufacturer supplied test button.

A grounding connection is not required for proper function of GFCI protection. The only issue (assuming the internal test button opens the circuit) is that there is no label on the receptacle.

Yes…

Thanks everybody for the feedback…

David,
Was anything done to the home, or it’s electrical system, that would have triggered a requirement for an upgrade to the circuits?
Jeff

Rarely is there a case where existing circuits would have to be grounded as a condition of the permit application.

In my town, if you remodel the bathroom, the electrical to the bathroom must be upgraded, ie… GFCI.

Same for the kitchen.

I am now running into some AHJ’s that are requiring some homes with K&T to upgrade the circuits (needing GFCI by todays standards) to upgrade those circuits when performing Panel upgrades (which we see a lot of around here).

Long overdue as far as I’m concerned.

It has been the same around here for several years now.

Jim

Then, it needs repair/repacement.