Go the extra Mile and find things like this

This was a crazy inspect today had this shower stall build into an open area where two attic come together leaving a cavity with not much room. I crawled head first into this space to observe the bottom of the shower pan and what I found surprised me cold air from the attic has been condensing on the un-insulated dry wall on the backside of the stall and mold growing about two feet up the wall. Sorry I am suppose to say mold like substance. Any way it is nasty. Curiosity will kill me one day when ever I see a hole I just have to go there. Just like a kid in a candy store.

Nice grab

Mic

Or Zoey.

Any chance there is a leak at the shower tiles and water has wicked upward over time?

Or even a leak from the left (cold) water fittings. Notice the green patina on the upper fittings. There is staining or salts (white) along the drywall behind the pipe.

Or could it have been a severe case of condensation on the left (cold) pipe from humid ambient air. Maybe the insulation was added later in an attempt to reduce/prevent condensation.

Anything is possible when we observe something after the fact; I considered a leak but found nothing to support that. There was a defective wind turbine not rotating on the roof very close to this area and cold air was streaming in when the wind was blowing as it always does here. This was a first for me never observed a shower stall open in a cavity this way.

Kewl !.. 229 cloned cats…assuming the first one is the original :shock:

229? That’s all? I guess there are some that I haven’t uploaded. No wonder why the mom-in-law keeps sending me daily emails asking how Zoey is doing. :roll:

I don’t see any pictures of her inspecting with you–have you not yet trained her to take a small camera into the tight holes and crevasses? My, my…:cool:

I’ve trained her using The Power of P. She knows how to Pee, PooP, and PloP in doorways so that I triP over her.

I crawled head first into this space to observe the bottom of the shower pan and what I found surprised me cold air from the attic has been condensing on the un-insulated dry wall on the backside of the stall and mold growing about two feet up the wall.

Wouldn’t it have been easier to rap on the tiles. Surely if the wall was wet and damaged they would have been loose. I could just see an old fart like me crawling head first into a cavity like that. Probably would have to use my liability insurance to clean up the mess coming out.

That was the problem home had been vacant for sometime the dry wall was not actually wet the day of inspection and no tiles from within the stall indicated a problem. Would never detected any problem If I had not been able to see the back side of the stall. Curiosity keeps me young;)
</IMG>

I hope you recommended a mold inspector to determine the species and deadliness of that mold. It’s good you caught it when you did, or someone surely would have died soon!

“Surely”? That’s a little fatalistic, I think.

Russel its called levity…and Joe has a good sense of humor too.

Curt

Guess RR doesn’t like being called Shirley !!! :stuck_out_tongue: :twisted:

HUH???

wait til you get older. The bones start to creak and crack.

I try to Ride at least two bucking horses out of the chute before every inspection gets me limbered up;) :smiley: