Gutter leaf guards. Yea or Nah?

We always climbed on the roof and cleaned them with a leaf blower. Takes less than 10 minutes.

If I were to get gutter guards I would get the helmets. They seem to be the best.

Pretty Nifty JJ…

but expensive

1 Like

Wide mouth downspout have a role also:
wide mouth gutter

Even in combination with other solutions (flushing whatever is in the gutter is a good thing).

never use screens units or perforated ones like Leaf Guard, these are just shelves that will hold debris NO matter what the claims is.

If in your area use a system like Gutter Helmet or Gutter Guard

used a similar system for 15 years NEVER had a clog and never had to clean the gutters

That is so cool.

I use an attachment for my leaf blower and it works great. If you are multi-level may not reach. My house is single level and a hip roof so it has a lot of gutter (I’m thinking about 500 lineal feet of gutter). We actually took out most of our big fruitless mulberry trees so I don’t have to clean them much anymore. However before it was twice a year to blow out the sterile seed pods in the spring and then the leaves in the fall. Takes maybe 30 minutes to suit up (Tyvek suit) and blow them out. So about 1 hour each year for clean gutters…(compare that to the time and money of installing gutter guards.)

Many times at inspections, I’ll find gutters full of dirt , not leaves and they get heavy. Leaf guards, if installed would need to be removed every few years to clean out the dirt as they don’t keep out the dirt and lets face it, gutters just don’t have enough slope to flow like a sewer drain to keep the dirt and mud from building up…Not a big fan of Leaf guards for this reason.

1 Like

Every year my neighbor’s trees grow over my roof. Every year I prune them. Every year my gutters fill with leaves. Every year I clean my out my gutters at least twice. If only leaf guards could do all of that… Today’s project:

My roof, neighbor’s trees.

What I find is more often better characterized as compost. So its leaves that sat in the gutter. That’s where the wide mouth or funnel shaped outlets cone in.

Note the area I inspect in has zones where gutter guards are required, on fire grounds (Class A roofs as well).

But switching to products that don’t work as advertised: the popular foam inserts. Absolutely fake news.

My husband and I bought Gutter Cleaning, and we are very happy with it, cleaning really bexame easier!

Around here it’s always sunny…most of the time…but often when it does rain (for about an hour) the rain is so hard it shoots right past the gutters. We have lots of trees so on one story homes the gutters get filled up quickly…if they have gutter guards the leaves just wind up on top of the gutter guards. Then there’s the issue of splash back rotting out fascia or roof sheathing and other problems. The way I feel about it…rain is going to find it’s way to the ground anyway so unless you have a real need avoid the aggravation.