Dam ice!! I mean Ice Dams

Question on Ice dams, my house.

Ranch stye house, 4 years old architectural roof coverings.
Ridge, gable and soffit vents.
9-12 loose fill insulation with baffles.

Gutters all dammed up at rear of home at valley intersection.

Maybe it is from leaking at the walls, Mid 60,s house with cedar siding. I beat there is only 1 inch of insulation. Looks like I need an IR camera for my house.

I wanted to add ice cables at rear of home this fall but did not due to complications of adding electrical for cables.

Seems like the downspout gets blocked with ice and then the dams accumulate.

I have the gutter brush installed but removed at valley area and gutters as they just contirbute to the dams.

So what are you thoughts on getting rid of the ice dams?

I here there are companies that defrost the gutters.

Thanks!!

Move south LOL Sorry could not resist

Up home they had a cable that only worked when needed Thermostat run dow the length of the wire ,kept gutters flowing

We also used a chain run down in the inside of the down spout on commercial Buildings

Having ice dams steamed away is not cheap.

Hopefully your roof has proper ice and water shield in place.

I have a similar problem with gutters on the north side on my home.

No problems yet but we have had almost no melting days for 3 months.

I have a sliding door below the worst area, I am sure the wall cavity is poorly insulated. Had an estimate for a new sliding door. $2800 bucks.
Seamless gutters would be nice!!

Moving south sounds good!!

I remember something I saw somewhere about melting the ice off a roof. The guy put ice melt in pantyhose and placed them just above the gutters. He actually threw them up there. Was on youtube or something.

Yes I remember that, actually a talk show guy talked about that. Garry Sullivan.

I bet my wife would be thrilled if I used her pantyhose:D

Here is the article,

The next time it snows you need to prepare yourself for ice dams. Ice dams form in the gutters around the home when the snow melts faster at the top of the roof instead of the bottom. When this occurs the water freezes in the gutter creating a dam. Before damage occurs in the house you need to eliminate the ice. A pair of panty hose and ice melter ( not salt ) works great. Fill the legs of the panty hose with the ice melter and tie them at the waist. Simply lay the legs of the panty hose across the top of the ice dam and leave it there for a day. The ice will melt and will not be corrosive to the gutters.

It’s been a tough year for that here Dave all of my gutters are solid ice and have been pretty much since Dec.1 some years here are worse than others …this year seems particularly bad…are You actually getting water inside the house or is it all just piling up outside?

Piling up outside, no leaks inside. The roof has ice guard protection as it is a 4 year old tear off.

Using calcium below the gutters as it is on the patio and the dog slips, slides as she rushes out to get um. Chases the squirrels and whatever else is around.

I here you about the weather. The week I was in California is when it was 58 here. Before I went, since Dec 1 and as of today there has been snow on the ground.

as long as You are not getting inside water Dave the best thing You can do is wait it out in my opinion…all of the other options have too many negative side effects…I go outside with a broom or something and knock off icicles in problem locations from time to time, but as Carl says …spring is right around the corner…Yeah I know I can’t find that corner either…

I think the squirrels took spring and buried it in the neighbors back yard, were is that darn ground hog!!

At least it is light to 6PM. Days start getting warmer around 2nd week of February. Average high last day of February is 40 degrees. 40 sound good, that will get rid of the dam dams!!

if you want to give me a call early summer Dave I’ll take a look at that slider and give You some ideas Dave…

Thanks Jim, appreciatte the offer, it would be nice to have you over just to talk inspections and whatever.

Dave if Jim can’t handle it, I will go down and help him out. :mrgreen::wink:

Couldn’t resist. ;):twisted:

If you have never used a ice dam melting sock on your roof before, you will find that they provide an inexpensive method for removing roof ice dams and improving your home’s heating efficiency.
Roof ice dams are an annoying source of roof damage, leaks, and heat loss in the winter.
The main causes are drip melt from improperly capped warm air vent pipes and poor roof insulation.
Laying a ice melt sock onto the roof so it crosses the ice dam and overhangs the gutter, will melt through the snow and ice and create a channel for water to flow down into the gutters or off the roof. If done properly those ice sickles that form as the snow melts from the edges of the gutters will never appear, they too are a cause of much damage and are dangerous to life and limb.

Refillable ice dam melting socks breaks ice dams in minutes by creating ice channels to drain water. Just place and forget it for the winter. The socks are available from most manufacturers full of non-staining ice melt or empty for you to fill.

Ice dam melting socks remove ice dams to prevent water damage to ceilings, windowsills, wood floors, and carpets.

Most ice dam melting socks are nylon; this nylon sock can be used again and again to remove ice dams from your roof. Most ice melt socks do not include ice melt or throw cord. Typical sock when filled weight 3 pounds, and is 18 inches long, ice melt sock lasts for months. This is based on melt of 20-40 Square yards of roof snow per sock used. Place one sock every 10-15 feet at right angles above channel eaves and gutters. Reuse sock until empty.

After use allow socks to dry naturally. Store in well-ventilated area.
Purchase only environmentally friendly 100% nylon socks.
An ice melt sock can last all winter and keep a 20 square foot area clear of ice dams depending on roof angle, sock placement, and rain/snowfall.
You can fill and refill the ice melt socks with off the shelf ice melt. Simply open the Velcro strap at top of socks, fill with off the shelf “ice melt” from any hardware store, and reclose the strap tightly, bottom knots for the pull cord, attach your own nylon throw cord and throw or place at troubled roof areas where ice dams are evident. Allow the throw cord to hang over the edge of the roof. Leave in place all winter or use approximately 20-foot pull cord to retrieve.

Most manufacturers can make socks to any length and can prefill them at a reasonable price plus shipping.
You can purchase the “ice melt” with the socks from most manufacturers and fill and refill as needed.:slight_smile:

always glad to have the help of those much older Marcel…:wink:

Hey, what’s with the (much older)?:mrgreen:

I just couldn’t help myself Partner…

;):slight_smile:

You (and family) are welcome anytime, Good info as usual.

Thanks!!