Hey Electricians... Can you help by proofing this new course?

Mike I will up you 222;)

Michael Keaton in Mr. Mom

Yep, Michael Keaton talking to Martin Mull.

Ah, I see, :smiley:

Yes, welcome as a member. I’ve enjoyed your posts. Thank you. :smiley:

Back in the 50’s-60’s, it used to be 110/220 but as households bought and used more electric appliances, installed electric heat and hot water heating appliances, problems of system voltage drop arose in periods of high demand. So they increased the voltage to 120/240 so that in these periods, voltage would not drop below the 110/220 that these appliances need to operate at. When I test the voltage in homes in my area, it’s usually in the 119-120 or 239/240 range.

A question arises though in that the higher extra voltage puts the average power bill up by 2-9% per month!!!

Uh… no, not at all. Ohm’s law, brother. A kilowatt hour is still a kilowatt hour, no matter what voltage you’re served at. If your household appliances ran on one million volts, and you had a one million volt service, your kilowatt hours consumed would be identical or even ever so slightly less due to efficiencies gained at higher voltages.

P=E²/R

A resistive load would result in increased kilowatts for the higher voltage.

Welcome Giuseppe!

Your complaints about what you read as being incorrect, and making suggested corrections should not be directed toward the person who claims to have written this, but to the following:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/publications/books/housing/housing.htm

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

We acknowledge the suggestions, assistance, and review of numerous individuals and organizations that went into the original and current versions of this manual. The revisions to this manual were made by a team of environmental health, housing, and public health professionals led by Professor Joe Beck, Dr. Darryl Barnett, Dr. Gary Brown, Dr. Carolyn Harvey, Professor Worley Johnson, Dr. Steve Konkel, and Professor Charles Treser.

Individuals from the following organizations were involved in the various drafts of this manual:

• Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Healthy Homes and Lead Hazard Control,
  • U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Environmental Health (NCEH)
  • National Healthy Homes Training Center and Network
  • National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials
  • Department of Building, Housing and Zoning; Allentown, Pennsylvania
  • Code Enforcement Associates; East Orange, New Jersey
  • Eastern Kentucky University; Richmond, Kentucky
  • University of Washington; Seattle, Washington
  • Battelle Memorial Institute; Columbus, Ohio

Specifically, our gratitude goes to the following reviewers:
Dr. David Jacobs, Martin Nee, and Dr. Peter Ashley, HUD; Pat Bohan, East Central University; James Larue, The House Mender Inc.; Ellen Tohn, ERT Associates; Dr. Stephen Margolis, Emory University; and Joseph Ponessa and Rebecca Morley, Healthy Homes Training Center.

A special thank-you for assistance from Carolyn Case-Compton, Habitat for Humanity, 123 East Main Street, Morehead, Kentucky. Pictures of a home under construction are courtesy of Habitat for Humanity and John King, home builder and instructor, Rowan County Technical College, Morehead, Kentucky; and Don W. Johnson, building photographer of Habitat for Humanity.

In addition, a special thank you to the Environmental Health Services Branch and the following staff: CAPT Craig Shepherd and CAPT Michael Herring, Commissioned Corps, U.S. Public Health Service, for their research and review during the editing of this manual. Special thanks also to Pamela S. Wigington and Teresa M. Sims for their hard work preparing this manual for Web publication.

… of which there are only a couple in a home when compared to the load total.

Joe
Once again you have me confused.

Nick asks that this be commented on and post here in this thread. I thought that he wanted this for continuing education for Home Inspectors.

Are you saying this is something that is going to be used for training material in Iraq?

No not for training in IRAQ, you should search the text of this so called new material and see that it comes word for word from the CDC!

Get it now?

We both know that a lot of the material contained within is completly wrong don’t we

Wrong…according to…?

I think the main objection is to the material being referred to as new or possibly unique to NACHI, and the requisite baiting of electricians to review it, where a membership would be required to do so. From a business standpoint, it was worth a try. Otherwise, it had the appearance of a low class ploy to the thinking man.

Joey!

If you are having heartburn about what you see wrong tell the real authors about your problems!

250.4(A)(5) Effective Ground-Fault Current Path. Electrical equipment and wiring and other electrically conductive material likely to become energized shall be installed in a manner that creates a low-impedance circuit facilitating the operation of the overcurrent device or ground detector for high-impedance grounded systems. It shall be capable of safely carrying the maximum ground-fault current likely to be imposed on it from any point on the wiring system where a ground fault may occur to the electrical supply source. The earth shall not be considered as an effective ground-fault current path.

How about the NEC saying that some of the material covered in the text is absolutely incorrect!

The one thing that I have learned about this site is the inability of some to learn. They seem to be stuck is the yesteryear and refuse to budge.

There is a misconception that grounding or connecting to earth some how makes an electrical system safe. This is far from the truth. Bonding at the service is what makes an electrical system safe. The ground rod, water pipe, concrete encased electrode and the other five electrodes in no way makes the system safe, it only protects from;
250.4 General Requirements for Grounding and Bonding.
The following general requirements identify what grounding and bonding of electrical systems are required to accomplish. The prescriptive methods contained in Article 250 shall be followed to comply with the performance requirements of this section.
(A) Grounded Systems.
(1) Electrical System Grounding. Electrical systems that are grounded shall be connected to earth in a manner that will limit the voltage imposed by lightning, line surges, or unintentional contact with higher-voltage lines and that will stabilize the voltage to earth during normal operation.

It is the bonding of the equipment grounding conductors, service enclosure and grounding electrodes back to the source that protects equipment and personal from current flow;
250.4(A)(5) Effective Ground-Fault Current Path. Electrical equipment and wiring and other electrically conductive material likely to become energized shall be installed in a manner that creates a low-impedance circuit facilitating the operation of the overcurrent device or ground detector for high-impedance grounded systems. **It shall be capable of safely carrying the maximum ground-fault current likely to be imposed on it from any point on the wiring system where a ground fault may occur to the [size=4]ELECTRICAL SUPPLY SOURCE.**The earth shall not be considered as an effective ground-fault current path.[/size]

According to the NEC it is incorrect. Then we have math that we can always fall back on. Ohm’s Law is a math equation and will prove that the earth is not a conductor for lower voltages such as 120/240.

Because it was Nick that ask and not the real authors. Are you saying the material is correct?

Sorry you do not understand yet!

Go ahead and waste your time for free, and our time with your comments!

I know that electricians limit themselves to this source, but I hope in reviewing HI courses you will take into consideration that the NEC is not the only code out there AND that home inspectors, unlike electricians, are not handcuffed by it.

Because the NEC is silent on certain things…Home Inspectors need not be. Additionally, we will use recent reports published by various agencies as references for conditions that we may feel to be unsafe…that are perfectly fine with NEC (purple wire nut copper pigtails to aluminum conductors comes to mind).

Wrong, according to the NEC, is not necessarily wrong for our purposes.