How do you verify smoke alarms are AFCI protected?

I think there is no dispute that the hard wired smoke alams in a bedroom must be protected by AFCI. Question is, how do you verify that in a new home? Do you trip the breaker, remove the smoke alarm battery, then test it??? If you test it and it has a battery in it, it will still alarm I believe. So how do we verify it’s wired properly without going to a tremendous amount of trouble?

I think that most have the indicator lights now. Turn off the AFCI breakers, and the light will turn from green to red, or from green to blank (off).

I learn something every day. I didn’t know eactly how those little lights worked. Thanks.

Just finished a blog on GFCI on the Elliott site and it is two parts so I spent part of the day researching AFCI also.
Here is an exerpt from the all electric .comArc-Fault Circuit Interrupter Protection, code text was revised to further specify that all dwelling unit bedroom branch circuit AFCI protection devices must be listed as a combination type AFCI effective Jan. 1, 2008. The word “receptacle” was deleted and the words “listed device that protects the entire branch circuit” were added. This applies to all outlets, including smoke detectors. .com site.

Here is an HTML on smoke alarms and AFCI
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:PErvnYcFDpwJ:ecatalog.squared.com/techlib/displaydocument.cfm%3Fid%3D0760DB0502%26action%3Dview+AFCI+on+smoke+alarms&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us

Lancaster county SC does not allow smoke detectors on AFCI circuits.

Strange things are happening in Mecklenburg county (at least one development), they do the final inspection with no power and no gas service and issue the certificate of occupancy. Is it a way to limit their liability or a way to get more CO’s issued without making repeat trips due to power/gas not being ready?

Yep…just press the TEST button on the AFCI and you will see the green light on the SMOKES go off as well…if it does not then you will know. Also it will aid in making sure the EC also made sure the lights as well as the receptacles are on AFCI as well…