How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion Course

Mold Moisture and Your Home.
Mold is part of the natural environment by breaking dead organisms down. But moisture in the house should be avoided. The Key to mold is moisture control. Mold can also cause health problems because they produce allergens which can cause allergic reactions.

In this picture moisture intrusion is visible in an
Attic. Even though these stains are from the past but as an inspector should ask the homeowner if previous repairs have been done to fix these issues. Also other places to check for water intrusion on the roof if the roofing is in good condition.

This photo shows both the CMU’s that make up the basement wall, and the sump pump. The visible foundation walls and slab are dry and show no signs of moisture infiltration. The basement does not smell musty. There is a portable dehumidifier running in a corner of the basement.

This shows a bathroom ventilation fan ran through the attic. This is not install correctly and is causing moisture intrusion to the attic. This could cause mold to form in the attic. I suggest this issue be fixed before the closing.

Moisture Intrusion

I read about moisture intrusion. I learned that a large source of moister intrusion is caused by pluming. Bathrooms are one of the biggest spot for moister issues. It is always a good idea to make sure the ventilation fan is installed correctly so it is not forcing moister right in the the attic. Also is a good idea to have the light switch power on both the lights and the venilation fan.

Image: Damage to brick wall caused by moisture
Water in damp soil can penetrate the brick material by capillary action. When it evaporates from the surface of the brick, it leaves efflorescence, which is basically salt deposits on the surface. This can lead to osmosis causing great hydrostatic pressures that eventually cause spalling of the material. It is important to separate materials from the ground in order to prevent to movement of moisture through the material and eventual failure.

I read the article on vehicle financing for inspectors. Fortunately, we already own a van perfect for use. Just because you can finance a new truck or van does not mean you should. It is possible to make do with a car until you get your business established.

Efflorescence is the dissolved salts deposited on the surface of a material (such as concrete or brick) that are visible after the evaporation of the water in which it was transported.
Prevention
An impregnating hydrophobic sealant can be applied to a surface to prevent the intrusion of water. It will also prevent water from traveling to the surface from within. In cold climates, this sealant can cause material to break during freeze/thaw cycles.

Roofs
A roof leak may lead to the growth of visible mold colonies in the attic that can grow unnoticed. Roof penetrations increase the likelihood of water leaks due to failed gaskets, sealants and flashing. The number of roof penetrations may be reduced by a variety of technologies and strategies, including:
consolidation of vent stacks below the roof;
exhaust fan caps routed through walls instead of the roof;
high-efficiency combustion appliances, which can be sidewall-vented;
electrically powered HVAC equipment and hot water heaters that do not require flue; and
adequate flashing. Oftentimes, inspectors discover missing, incorrectly installed or corroded flashing pipes.

The crawl space does not have a properly installed moisture barrier. This condition, if left in its current condition, can lead to serious moisture problems throughout the entire structure. The entire ground area should be covered with polyethylene sheeting with a thickness of at least 6-mil. All joints should overlap at least 6 inches and the edges should extend at least 6 inches up the foundation walls and be taped to the walls and all penetrations.

Crawlspace Hazards and Inspection
Most homeowners are not aware of the condition of the crawl space and as a result of the crawl space condition not being monitored any adverse condition can escalate to a severe condition by the time it is discovered. One primary concern is moisture and its effects. In the event of a moisture problem left undetected for a long period of time the moisture can lead to fungus and mold growth and eventully making the home unsafe.

Appropriately sized bathroom ventilators are vital in removing unwanted moisture and providing adequate ventilation for bathrooms. It is also important to properly sealed the lake picture to the ceiling to prevent energy loss and wish the transfer. Ventilators should be properly sized according to industry standards.

Appropriately sized bathroom ventilators are vital in removing unwanted moisture and providing adequate ventilation for bathrooms. It is also important to properly sealed the lake picture to the ceiling to prevent energy loss and wish the transfer. Ventilators should be properly sized according to industry standards.

This image is a drop ceiling tile that has obvious signs of a past and/or present moisture intrusion problem. I would investigate this further by utilizing infrared and a moisture meter. I would remove the tile and inspect above. This area had insulation above that was wet, and duct running above it. All under a flat roof that had recent heavy rain. More time would be needed to investigate the roof and duct and document my findings in order to recommend the appropriate professional.

I’ve chosen the moisture meter article and found that this is a necessary tool to have in the box. I’ve learned that there are two ways to check moisture content, with pins and with a search feature. Pins for more porous materials and direct staining. Search for a wider area. They can also produce false readings when close to metallic substances.

Moisture is a lot of problems
The problems of moisture are cracking and cracking in the ceilings
Humidity is a major risk of rotting and corrosion of iron and concrete
The inspector must verify the presence of the waterproofing
The inspector must also examine the construction process and ensure that there is an insulator

I learned from this course
How to treat and inspect moisture properly and what causes moisture
I learned a lot of weather in the humidity, such as rain and wind, and other factors affecting the construction
The inspector must examine all aspects and find out where the water and moisture are leaking

Bedroom return. After inquiring how often filters are changed, homeowner informed me that on average they change filters every month or so but that the bedroom never gets dirty so they haven’t changed it in over 2 years. Red flag on the play! All filters if operating correctly will collect dust and pet hair. With AC unit running, I closed bedroom door and could feel air rushing through bottom of door. Although I knew what would happen next, I still took a sheet of toilet paper and placed it against the grille. No surprise here, this paper just feel to floor After checking this and two other bedroom returns, 1 was good and 1 other was without return air. Unfortunately, both bad returns are on ceilings that are adjacent to a cathedral ceiling on opposite side of garage access. From the garage attic access, I was able to locate return tubes and neither was connected and was drawing return air from attic. Unfortunately, this will be quite expensive to correctly connect because of cathedral ceiling, but practically no cost during initial construction. A simple inspection during the construction would have brought this problem to light. Cost or solution was not discussed of course and a recommendation to have system evaluated by a AC professional was reported.

I chose the article on toilets. I have found over the years that’s toilets, as simple as they seem have caused many problems in even the nicest and well maintained homes. Inspecting a toilet is pretty straight forward and in any ways simple. But simple problems like bad or loose bolts can cause both severe damage and health safety issues. A loosely mounted toilet can slowly leach some of the filthiest and contaminated water into your home. In addition, it can destroy the subflooring, flooring, etc., and do it quietly. The connection can sometimes be hidden with silicone or other adhesives. I always take great care in inspecting this particular area to make sure an unscrupulous homeowner has not taking a shortcut to either fix or hide a problem.

Water can destroy. Moisture intrusion into a building can cause major structural damage and can threaten the safety of its occupants. When an inspector knows what a properly installed building component looks like, then recognizing an installation defect is easy.