How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion Course

I learned that there is a number of different ways that moisture can infiltrate the common house. Some of this ways include air infiltration, which accounts for more than 98% of all water vapor in a house. Leaks in either the roof or plumbing can also account for moisture in a house.

In the uploaded photo a basement area wall is indicating moisture intrusion along with the possible formation of efflorescence. Efflorescence alone does not pose a threat but may suggest water entry or underlying problems. It is recommended to have further evaluation and proper cleaning of area.

After reading the article A Garage Inspection recognizing structural defects big or small in garage areas is crucial. Trusses and truss connections should never be altered without review of a structural engineer. Otherwise there is a dangerous possibility of improper installation leading to structural collapse.

There are many ways moisture can negatively affect building components that are used to build and protect your home. It can be difficult to locate the exact location of moisture entry when wooden components are able to wick up moisture from moist soils and carry it into areas unable to be seen. It is good practice to visually inspect the exterior of your home, and identify any wood in contact with moist soils and make corrections as needed to prevent such problems.

Dryer ducts must be properly installed and terminated in acceptable areas, not only for safety, but also to prevent large amounts of moisture from entering the home and creating conditions that allow Microbial Growth (mold) to grow. A qualified contractor should further evaluate the drier duct, and install it an a safe manor that directs the moist drier exhaust to the exterior of the home.

I chose the picture of the bathroom. The sink seems to be in pretty good shape from outward appearance. Water is running fine. No sign of any leaks while sink is running from the outside. Will have to look under to find any hidden problems. The toilet from outward appearance is in fine condition. No leakage around on the floor.

I didn’t know that their were actual alarms that alert parents when children get into a pool. I think this is a great product and definatley something i would own myself. Kids, especially kids who don’t know how to swim,around pools can be a very dangerous and scary thing. Still no substitute for actually watching your children, but having one of these alarms cant hurt.

This picture is of efflorescence on a wall. White efflorescence (powder substance) on block wall indicates moisture is in contact with the masonry. This does not necessarily indicate that intrusion will occur. I recommend checking the gutters and the downspout drain lines for proper operation. Also, a water proofing paint could be applied to the interior side of the block if necessary. Efflorescence is found on many homes without water intrusion occurring inside the home. But, it should alert you to the possibility that future steps may be needed.

I read an article titled Moisture Intrusion by Nick Gromicko and Kenton Shepard from Internachis list of articles. This article was very informative and greatly relates to the course about moisture intrusion that I just took. It goes on to explain how moisture intrusion can cause a number of building defects and can also cause health ailments for the people living in the home. Moisture can enter the house through multiple ways including: air infiltration, diffusion through building material, leaks from roof, plumbing leaks, flooding, and human activities.

Proper drainage around the perimeter of the home can help reduce the risk of water intrusion to the basement. Gutters should be installed above all doors and living areas and extend away from the house. If desired downspout extensions can be added to help draw water away from the house.

Damp proofing a basement can reduce the risk of water intrusion. Plastic sheathing used as a vapor barrier can trap moisture and risk mold growth. Dehumidifiers can help control moisture in the air of a basement. Carpets should not be installed in a basement unless the floor is brought up to room temp.

This home is missing rain gutters essentially all around its perimeter. Rain gutters, down spouts and diverters work together to shed water off the roof and away from the home and its foundation. Water can be a serious destructive force to a home and its foundation. Inspector recommends installment of gutter system by a qualified gutter professional.

The gallery has many helpful images. When needing to describe the many components (layers) there are with the exterior walls and how it works to shed and resist water. The use of these images can help with the inspectors description of said components to his/her client. Inspectors (especially seasoned ones) can often forget that most people may not be familiar with the names and terms used to describe something. Having visual references will help in the description.

This picture shows what moisture can do when it enters a building. In this case mold was detected through a certified mold inspection company. The walls were ripped open to show just how much had accumulated since hurricane Irma flooded this property.

I reviewed an image of missing kickout flashing. The stained walls with a clear vertical watermark running down them was obvious. The area where the roof intersected with the outside wall should have the kickout flashing installed to divert the water.

While doing the roof inspection I found that the siding was installed in contact with the shingles,that with the build up of moss allowed rain water to damage the siding.There is no counter flashing on the sides of the chimney and a hole between the step flashing and the flashing on the face of the chimney.

Upon reading the article on pull down attic ladders I learned that deck screws should not be used to install the ladders.The proper fasteners are 16d penny nails or 1/4" x 3" lag screws. Also when they are installed inside the home they should have weather striping and be insulated.

This is a photo of wooden siding that has split open and the house wrap underneath has become exposed. The siding in its current condition will allow moisture and water penetration into the front wall of the house. It is recommend to have the siding replaced and properly overlapped to prevent water and/or moisture from entering the structure.

Effervescence and deterioration of concrete

Effervescence forms when naturally occurring salt travels through the masonry via the water, and dries on the surface.

Attached picture shows effervescence and surface deterioration of the concrete. It is not uncommon to find effervescence on the inside of concrete foundations below grade, not only at the bottom of the wall but in various locations. Attached picture shows that water has been coming through foundation for a long period of time. The concrete is deteriorating on the surface and pieces of cement and stone are on the floor just below. Over the years someone has slapped paint on it in hopes of stopping it, proper preparation and sealing will fix the inside but you have to look into where the water is coming from. Start with proper grading away from the house and make sure leader extensions are at least two feet or longer to keep roof water away from foundation. If problems continues hire a professional to correct the water intrusion.

Mastering roof inspection: Flashing Part One

Water intrusion is one of a houses biggest problems and proper flashing is a very important part of that protection.

IRC does not specify what size flashings are necessary and is up to the installer to use appropriate size and appropriate flashing material. Improper size and type of flashing or missing flashings or cap flashings can lead to water intrusion. Be very careful when you are inspecting flashings, missing or improper flashing can lead to rot, mold, poor air quality and structural damage to list a few of the destructive abilities of water.