"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

Research & Writing Assignment:

2 prong outlets should not be replaced with a grounded outlet if the is no proper ground available. 2 prong outlets were installed in older home that were ungrounded. This is not a safety concern until 3 prong outlets have been installed that would then be ungrounded.

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

I do not have access to a mobile home to inspect and photograph. So, I did some research online and found the HUD Guide to Foundation and Support Systems for Manufactured Homes document. This thing is a gold mine of information on how permanent mobile home foundations should be built! Lots of photos and easy to read text make it a tool to rely on!

I read the article entitled “Modular vs. Manufactured Homes”. It had a lot of good information, especially about the difference and non-interchangeability of the terms ‘modular’ and ‘manufactured’. It was interesting to note that modular homes are of a sturdier build than traditional built on-site homes. Because of the article, I now know the difference between modular and manufactured and can use the terms in context and correctly.

Manufactured and mobile homes come in all shapes and sizes. There are two ways to set a manufactured or mobile home, standard set Foundation or a permanent foundation. Standard set foundations are not required to have footings below the frost line, however Karma they need some sort of skirting or blocking Winter Frost. Permanent set foundations require their footings to be below the frost line. Frames are permanently attached to the foundation through welding or strapping. Grading slopes away on both types of foundation sets to shed surface water away from the foundation.

Solar power offers considerable considerable amount of energy over conventional Energy Systems. Raw materials are renewable and unlimited and constantly replaced. Solar power emmitts low pollution. Solar power as perfect for remote areas and kind of drastic Lee improve quality of life for millions and millions of people.

This mfg home has OSB installed over original wood panel siding. obviously this was done because the original panels were rotted near the bottom, which is typical on older mfg homes. The OSB was caulked and painted very well and will last for several years, however it detracts from the overall appearance of the home.

Attic condensation: Attic moisture condensation is usually caused by heat loss from the heated living area, either from inadequate insulation or air leaks around lights, bathroom vents or other ceiling penetrations. The moisture often condenses and freezes on under side of roof decking. When the weather warms the frost melts and runs or drips onto insulation, eventually causing ceiling damage in the home.

While the term manufactured home is a mobile home regardless of single-, double-, or triple-wide construction; the term mobile home is most often related to a single-wide, and manufactured can be incorrectly used to just refer to double- or triple-wide homes. An inspector should ensure the client understands this, if a client tries to segregate these terms.

I live in sunny South Texas, 30 miles from the Mexican border. We are a meeca for “Winter Texans,” retirees from the Midwest who spend the winter here - and live in large mobile home parks. Many of these people are handy men. This mobile home is occupied by one them. As you can see from the photo, he built doors to his skirting to access the underside. the access was wide enough, but under 18 inches high. We were ble to crawl it however. The primary problem I have with skirting is that is is difficult to open as most do not have easy access doors.

Wind turbines are becoming a huge source of power in the world.The United States ranks first in the world in energy generated by wind and South Texas, where I live, is an area where we have an increasing number of wind farms due to our favorable winds - we have a lot of it during the day, but it dies down at night - perfect for wind power generation. The turbines in our area are the largest in the world and are huge. It has been interesting to see them close up. South Texas is also a major migratory flyway and there was a lot of dissent from the birding community. I haven’t seen or heard of “mass killing” of birds. As for as noise goes, they are completely quite. They are in rural areas and are an impressive sight. Did I mention that my wife has a farm which has a new wind turbine on it. We love it.

Manufactured homes need special attention to creating a good seal between units. This is an area where water can infiltrate easily. Extra care of flashing details and sealing around openings to ensure water and moisture cannot enter the home is vital.

A manufactured home is a home that has been engineered and built in a controlled indoor environment. Quality assurance steps are taken to ensure the home is built to a strict standard and must be built sturdy enough to last during transport.

Inspection of the underside and exterior of the home found the absence of skirting and a moisture barrier which prevents pests and moisture problems. There was also improper block placement including absence of pier footers. Block openings should be vertical and footers should be present to provide maximum support.

Indoor air quality can be a bigger issue than it seems. Everyday use or lack of can determine the quality of the air inside a home. Bathrooms, garages, and basements are just a few places in our home that can effect us daily. Fumes, vapors, and excessive moisture from these areas can cause changes in the air quality. Remedies can be made to change these concerns including bathroom fans, dehumidifiers, radon mitigation, and natural ventilation.

Anchors are driven into the ground to hold your home down against wind forces. They go into the ground first and then steel straps are attached. The straps connect the anchors to a main I-beam on your homes steel frame.

In a 2007 guidance on reducing damage to new manufactured homes during high wind events, FEMA noted that newer manufactured homes (homes built and installed to the 1994 HUD standard) performed better than older manufactured homes in high wind speeds.

Manufactured homes are required to have smoke alarms wired into the homes electrical system with a battery backup. Each sleeping area, kitchen/living area must have at least one. Here the picture shows a battery powered alarm which was located too close to a shower and had been “silenced” by the homeowner. This is a definite safety issue which I called out.

Anti tip brackets should be installed and checked by inspectors on any appliance that can become unstable from its use, or a person climbing on it. Manufactures supply the brackets in their installation kits or you could purchase them at most home supply stores. Between 1980 and 2006 33 lives could have been saved if anti tip brackets would have been used.

All piping for Modular & Mobile homes should be Gas and water tight. Liked understanding the definitions on the joints and the proper installation of Threaded, Solder, Union, Flared, and Cast-Iron Soil joints. I also liked knowing that Plain End Soil and Hub pipes can be joined by compression fittings in a Modular or Mobile application.

Learned about the defining qualities of a Modular home. Built completely off-site at a factory and shipped to site for install. Does comply with all State and Federal regulations as a Manufactured home. They do tend to be very sturdy and can be completely customized at time off design and construction.