How to Inspect Private Drinking Water Wells

The following is a gallons per minute gauge for testing well flow. When doing a well flow test, it is important to discharge the water through the gauge in an area where it cannot potentially flood the leach field and septic system.

The EPA does not regulate private wells, but they do recommend that the water quality be tested annually. In 1999, it was mandated that all public water providers give an annual report on the quality of their water. The safe drinking water act gave the EPA the authority to regulate the nations public drinking water quality.

At this time I am submitting a picture of my irrigation valve this irrigation valve controls the in coming water to the lawn area on my property I am not using this system at this time because there is no need the system is in good condition

The topic is a septic system first the home owner should know the layout of there existing system there should be no vehicular traffic near the system or covered by fill,trees or dense vegetation the home owner should monitor there system closely from time to time and notice any problems

On an A/C indoor and outside condenser, the low or bib refrigerant line is insulated and the small one is not. Condensation that forms on your outdoor A/C line reduces efficiency and raises your energy costs. Repair or replace any cracked or missing insulation.

A double tap occurs when two wires are connected to a circuit breaker that is only designed to accept one wire. It’s considered a defect because the two wires compressed under a one-wire connector may not be securely fastened. Some circuit breakers manufactured by Square D and Cutler Hammer are rated to accept two wires. Those are marked as “2 Pole” on the front or side of the breaker.

The well cap must have a watertight seal and the well casing should be located at least 12" above the ground surface, as the picture shows. However, it was observed that the slope of the ground around the well on the side near the house was sloping towards the well, potentially allowing surface water runoff into the well increasing the risk of contamination.

This picture is an older style dug well. The casing of the well appears to be in good condition however the sanitary well cap is not sufficient. The sanitary well cap should be capable of preventing vermin and insects from accessing the well.

I read an article about private water wells. The article indicated private water wells should maintain a specified distance away from possible sources of contamination. A few of the contamination sources included fertilizers, livestock barns and feed pens, as well as septic systems.

The photo I took is of a hand dug well. The photo shows thw concrete surrounding the well cap is heaving do to frost which may be destabilizing the top of the well. The well cap itself is not properly sealed which may allow contaminants into the well.

The photo I chose is a diagram of the construction of a drilled well. It shows that the casting must extend to bedrock. That the casing may be four to six inches in diameter and that the well can range from fifty to nine hundred feet deep.

The well concrete tile for this well is 12 inches above grade with a 4 inch concrete lid. This well is located in a lawn and garden area that has a slight downhill grade. The area immediately around the well tile is sloping away from the tile walls.

Water quality for home owners with private wells is a continuous detail that needs to be checked annually. Since many things surrounding your well could possibly cause contamination. The home owner must stay aware of what potential issues and test water regularly each year.

This well is 60 years old and still in fairly good shape. No cracks are present in the casing or cap. The well is used for watering animals on the farm and washing vehicles. A second well is on the property that feeds the residence.

10 Easy Ways To Save Energy In Your Home. This winter I decided to install a wood stove in my living room. It has made a world of difference with my electric bill. My furnace has come on maybe twice all winter.

Here is a photo of the pressure tank system in our house. The pressure switch is set for 40 - 60 psi. It operates normally within it’s set range and the contact points on the switch appear to be in good condition. Notice that there is no hose bid currently provided in the system. That will soon change.

The water quality article provided outlines our primary sources for drinking water and the importance of protecting them. It also discusses the importance of regular testing of our water. This responsibility falls on the EPA and state governments for public water supplies and on the homeowner in cases where private wells are used.

This is a water well head. Components visible in the photo is the sanitary cap, electrical supply for pump, casing and pit less adapter. the trench is below the frost line, which varies depending on where you are in New Jersey

air admittance valve allows air into the stack which aids in the water to drain down the pipe. It breaks any vacuum that might occur and is used in remodeling where tie ing into a vent stack is not feasible

This picture is an example of a residential well head that is in good condition. The cap is secured tightly so that contaminants cannot enter into the casing. The screen vent under the cap is present and in satisfactory condition, which keeps pests from entering into the well casing. The well head is more than 18" above the surface which meets the minimum 12" inch requirement. This ensures that flood water cannot enter the vent screen and contaminate the well water. There is the proper sloping at the soil surface which allows water to run off. Now because the well head is in good condition, the next thing to look for is the location from the well to the septic tank and other sources of contamination to ensure that the well meets proper distance requirements.