How to Inspect Private Drinking Water Wells

This photo shows the interior pressure tank in the basement of a home. This pressure tank is in good condition with a pressure range of 40-60psi. The tank does show some cosmetic surface rust that could be evidence of condensation on the tank or previous flooding.

I read the article “Pest Birds” regarding the destructive potential that birds pose to exterior and electrical systems. One of the most interesting points of the article was that birds, unlike most other animals, are attracted to the smell of their own feces and the feces must be removed to aid in deterring the birds from returning.

This is the well Cap and exposed casing from the well at my home. The well is no longer used as potable water, but still exist for lawn irrigation. In the next year the city will be supplying no potable water to residences for lawn irrigation so is will have to be sealed.

Many Americans, approximately 15% rely of private wells for their potable water needs. The EPA does not regulate private well testing and many of these Americans could be drinking water that could have long term health effects. Offering Well Water Inspections and Testing could be a valuable marketing add on many home inspectors. I plan to add this as service item to my inspection business in the near future.

This pressure tank was in good shape. It had a 40-60 PSI range on the pump and ran smoothly. This was attached to a 150’ drilled well. The exterior portion of the well was in good shape on a hill well away from the septic system. The water conditioning system was in good repair and recently maintained. All water test results came back below the EPA action level.

I read the article “Hard Water” by Nick Gromicko. This discussed the levels of mineral concentration that can be used to determine a waters hardness as well as signs that the water may have an issue. In our area, well water can be pretty hard and water conditioners are normal. The closer you are to the mountains the harder it seems to be. One thing I have been surprised by is the number of “public” systems that require conditioning. There are a number of neighborhoods that have publicly run water systems but are really just a series of shared wells on the property. The standards of hardness don’t seem sufficient to maintain water that doesn’t leave scale everywhere.

Dug wells should always have ground sloped away and the cap of the well should always extend at least 12’ above the ground. This prevents contamination from flooding, vermin, sewage. The cap should always have a rubber seal and screws on the top.

Plumbing/well systems should always have a backflow valve installed. This prevents contaminants from entering the water system. When a hose etc is shut off small amount of suction is created which can pull polluted water back into the hose and into the potable water.

The internal components of this system seem well thought out. The pressure tank is neatly enclosed in an insulated and heated space within the crawlspace. This room has a gently sloped cement floor with a floor drain. Multiple ball valves are installed making it more convenient to shut off water to different parts of the house when needed. The pressure tank drain valve is positioned to make easy attachment to a hose, and is proximate to the floor drain. The POE filter is very easy to access, and a stack of new filters with a wrench and instructions is present. The electrical shut-off is clearly labeled and easily reached.

I think much of the material in this course and in the article, Private Water Wells, should be made into a public service announcement. Given that the exterior portion of most wells are rather inconspicuous, and that most wells do not require regular maintenance or licensing, like cars do, most folks simply forget about them. Most of us have never SEEN the water table, and probably have never envisioned how a well works, or really thought much about the hydrologic cycle. If more people saw clear illustrations of these things, and came to understand that the water they are drinking and bathing in may not be very far beneath their feet, I expect many people would be more mindful of the miracle of the modern well. Likely, they would be more careful not to waste it when they consider how little it has rained this summer. Perhaps they wouldnt want to keep 20 goats right near the well casing. Maybe they would think twice about flushing toxic chemicals, or pouring them on the ground, knowing that they may well be poisoning themselves.

Attached is a water well pit. Typically these are no longer approved due to the fact that they pose safety hazards such as having a tendency to fill with surface water that can contaminate the well and possibly the aquifer. Also, people, especially children, can be injured by falling into the pit.

I studied the image, “Bladder Type Pressure Tank”. A bladder type pressure tank maintains a set pressure for a dwelling that utilizes a well. The tank is designed to turn the well pump on at a low pressure setting and off at a high pressure setting. Typically 40 psi to 60 psi. It should be noted that this system operates and lasts much longer if a cycle stop valve is used in conjunction. This CSV creates back pressure against the pump so that the pump remains on until the water flow is terminated. Otherwise the pump cycles on and off which seriously reduces the pump life.

This photo is of a well water pressure tank. Pressure tanks are used in conjunction with the well pump. The pressure tank will provide adequate water pressure on demand so the well pump does not have to activate every time water is asked for at a fixture. As water is drawn out of your pressure tank, the pressure will drop. When it hits the minimum pressure threshold, the pump will activate and begin refilling the tank to start the process over again. Pressure tanks greatly extend the life of a well pump.

Water quality research: The EPA does not regulate the water quality in private water wells and recommends private well owners should have their wells tested on an annual basis. Since 1999, the EPA requires all public water suppliers to provide its customers with an annual water quality report.

I inspected a property that had a private well and septic system. This pressure tank had a 40-60 pressure switch. The pressure switch responded at the designated set pressures during testing. The well had a submersible pump that was recently installed.

I chose the article on daylight savings time. To me it has always been annoying and I think its great that AZ and HI do not take part in it. I think that it could save energy in the long run. God bless, merry christmas.

This is a pic of a water pressure tank in a basement. It was in good working order at the time of the inspection. It had a 40-60 pressure switch. It had an electrical disconnect within 3 feet. I ran the water to make sure the pressure switch worked as intended.

I just read an article on vermiculite insulation. I did not realize that 70% of all vermiculite in the U.S. came from the same mine and that it all may contain asbestos. I will be sure to inform my clients of the risks involved with vermiculite.

Modular home had a brand new well put in a few days before the inspection. The county was coming to do the well inspection. The well had an extreme smell permeating throughout the entire house. Client instructed to pay close attention to well inspection and testing.

I wonder if many people with a well understand that they need to get the well water quality tested regularly. Especially if they see or smell a difference in the water. This will be a strong take home point in my well inspections.