How to Inspect Septic Systems

Septic Inspection Read and Write Assignment

The first article I reviewed as the Septic System Inspections. I found the article to be a very good overview of a septic inspection and summarized a lot of the key red flags for concern in the course. The second article as the consumer targeted Septic Systems, this article provided a lot of good information and advised (my favorite was the “hire and InterNACHI inspector”) about owning a home with a septic system. As I perform a lot of rural inspection and have to deal with a lot of “city folks” moving into a rural area and have no idea on what or how a septic system work I think this article will; now be included in all my reports where a septic system in present.

The septic system should be inspected once a year, including as soon as the house is put on the market for sale. This will enhance the home’s value and avoid any liability issues that might result from a malfunctioning system. It is in the interest of a prospective buyer to insist that the septic system be inspected before they purchase the home if it has not been done recently.

I found the course goes above the standard’s set for the State of Maine. This puts us members ahead of our competitors.

IMG_9649.JPG

I recently did a home inspection and looked at the electrical panel. This was a 1968 home with a Gould panel. The panel is very full. I believe that there were 1 or 2 open slots. Looks like over time, the homeowner added circuits to the panel and instead of adding a separate circuit breaker, they double-tapped several of the existing breakers. I documented the findings and included that into the report. I discussed the hazard issue with the new homeowner.

I was to read and write about an inspection topic. My chose was the article “Polybutylene for Inspectors.” I do a considerable amount of insurance inspections here in FL. Looking for polybutylene plumbing is a primary part of the inspection, and the insurance companies definitely want to know if it is present. The most difficult part is confirming if the plumbing is polybutylene. in Florida, the standard form of polybuylene used is dark gray. It is not always marked, but the color is the key. Florida homes also use a pex material called Merflex. It is also gray, but a lighter shade. You have to get on your knees and stick your head far under the sink sometimes to verify. It might be just a polybutylene supply line attached to a copper main.

I was to read and write about an inspection topic. My chose was the article “Lead Facts for Inspectors.” The majority of the homes that I inspect were built from the 1970’s to today. It is a fairly safe assumption that they do not contain lead paint, or use lead piping for plumbing. However, I recently did an inspection on a home built in 1968 and the new owner wanted to know if the house contained lead paint. This is not something that I was prepared to do so I was not able to offer the client that part of the inspection. Now that I have been asked, I plan to look into what is required to test for lead paint and also check to see if there are any requirements with the state of FL. There may be a kit that I can purchase that will provide the tools to test the paint.

I was doing a septic system inspection on a 3 bedroom home. They told me they were not sure when the tank was last pumped and that only 1 person was living in the home. This was a 2 compartment tank. I removed the 2 large manhole covers at ground level and found they had proper risers. At first look I could see scum around both the covers that were covering the inlet and outlet ports down inside the riser. I removed those covers to find that the tank had not been pumped in quite some time as the scum level was above the inlet and outlet baffles, if there were any since I could not see them. Attached is an image of the exit port. I failed the system at this point and recommended the system be pumped and a flow (hydraulic) test be performed to test the condition of the Leach (Absorption) field.

This is a picture of a failed septic system from one of my inspection reports. The septic tank is located at the front of the house. The first access hatch was excavated and opened. The hatch is next to the walk. A water supply line is next to the walk above the tank. The access hatch lid has been removed. Water in the tank is almost at the level of the access hatch. Drains in the house are backed up and no water can be used.
The exact cause of the problem could not be determined at the time of the inspection however the house is located in a large depression near where several feet of water form a lake at the South side of the house during heavy rain. There was evidence that the water had risen about a foot against the South wall of the house and the wall was sand bagged. The house is at the end of street that dead ends into the concrete wall of a free way about 20 feet above where water run off collects creating the lake at the South side during rain storms. The house is at the lowest elevation of the tract. Poor drainage at the septic system leach field here may have contributed to the septic system failure. The house was built some time in the 1970’s.

Regarding septic system maintenance and inspection articles.

A septic tank is the most expensive house hold fixture. Care should be taken by the home owner to follow all of the maintenance tips and suggestions for septic systems. The septic tank can be very expensive to repair or replace. The septic system should be inspected every one to three years.
The septic system inspector should be aware of local laws regarding septic systems.
Inspecting the septic tank can be hazardous. The septic tank should never be entered by the inspector. Be aware of signs that the tank is deteriorated and may collapse.

Aluminum Wiring:

I run into homes with Aluminum wiring quite often. I do

recommend further evaluation by a licensed electrician but

sometimes trying to explain to the client that it can be a fire

hazard without putting a fear into them is difficult. After

reading the article there really doesn’t seem to be any good

fix besides replacing it. On a single story home I think it

would be much cheaper just to replace the wires. I think i have

ran into one home that had some repairs done but they were

splices with the correct connector but according to the article

even these splices are temporary fixes.

Septic System Inspections:

The article and the course are very informative and give you a

good understanding of how a system works. Beside the inspection

itself, explaining the function to the home buyer and getting

them to understand how important it is for them not to throw

anything and everything down the sink and toilet. Especially if

they come from a home that has sewers. The list of items in the

article and course of what not to put in the system is very

important and getting them to make sure they have the tank

pumped.

My issues with the course and state license course are the same. It is great to know how systems are engineered, you really need to know this. My issue is doing the inspection for a home buyer during the home inspection. I can probably do a better job before the inspection on seeing if I can get the site plans of when it was put in but realistically you can open the inspection port(s), but on the older systems you really cannot see the baffles without having the tank pumped the home buyer does not want to pay to have a tank pumped just in case they do not buy the home. I also think doing a hydraulic flow test on the leach field should be done but it should be done over a 24 hr period like explained in the course, but that’s not the case on how inspections get done. They want you to do the flow test all at one time.

I really would like the course and our own state courses to show videos of how a inspection should be done. Showing how the system is designed and showing bits and pieces of what your looking for does not help.

I would like to see an inspection done by the seller before they can sell the home.

The artcles reviewed were on septic system information and followed by the type of information all home buyers / owners should know.
All inspections should provide buyers with location and size of the setic tank and field lines as well as the types of visual clues to potential system failures. A home buyqer should know that a properly funtioning system will remove waste water from a home. Periodic inspections are then required to miantain the system .
The second article emphesizes maintenace. Al homeowners should be informed of the required steps to mantain a heqaltehy septic system. With prper undqerstanding of how the system functions and what they can do to maintain it will prevent future failures and expenses,

The settlement of the ground and excessive vegetation is the sign of discharge area of drainfield

Inspecting the under sink area of the crawl space with the shown ABS plastic sewer line. Noted the upstairs use of an under-sink disposal -suggesting to look at potential for increasing the frequency of septic system pump-outs -as the homeowner likes to have the newer disposal.

This is photo of the moniter and air pump for the erobic septic system. Sprayers tested well and no warning lights showing. Air compressor runs continuously keeping septic fluids in motion and adding air.

Septic.JPG

Ben,

For the image upload portion, i*s there a way to upload the image based on an image library on my computer? Please email me at jonathan@arock**solidhome.com

Thank you

Jonathan Leahy

The image attached *shows the beginning stages of the installation of a new leachfield at a mountain property. The width of the leachfield is approximately 12 feet wide. The leachfield is currently having the clean sand bed installed as part of the initial in**stallation **stage. *

A septic system needs a large enough area as absorption field with a permeable soil.
If the soil is not suitable then above ground or raised absorption field is one of the options.

In this picture of septic system we see there’s inspection piping and a cover for the septic tank. The cover to this septic tank is made of concrete and is above ground level so that it’s easy to locate. The cover seals off any gases that are in the tank but allows a licensed pumping company to remove it for inspection and pumping . It’s recommended that this size of which is 1200 gal.tank should be pumped every three years by the local sanitary code and or other wise as necessary if there’s a problem. The inspection piping is for looking into the tank without removing the cover. Samples of sludge and scum maybe be taken through this pipe to determine of there problems. If the scum or sludge layers are to high in the tank before the three year pumping cycle is through, this maybe a concern where further investigation should be done to tell if there’s blockage in the drainage piping or in the drain block or drain field or if the system is being over used.

DSC01726.jpg

Areogel is a product used by NASA to protect there astronauts and machines in space. The product is a insulation made of a gel where properties are mostly air. Airogel is still very expensive to most home owners but carry’s a very high R- value compared to other type insulation and home inspector’s may come across this product in there inspections. Airogel is blue in color, soft to the touch, very light weight and solid. One inch squared of Airogel flattened out could cover a size of a football field and can support 4000 times it;s own weight.

During a septic system inspection, a leaking faucet was observed. Calculating the leaking water-flow (amount of water-flow in 10 minutes times 144 [number of minutes in 24 hours divided by 10]), it was determined that approximately 27 gallons of clear water was being wasted and entering the septic system per day from this leak alone. This adds to the waste-water load of the septic system and can overload it, which in turn can cause system failure. It was recommended that a qualified person repair or replace the leaking faucet.

Based on the Online Article, Septic Systems, there are several things a homeowner can do to ensure their septic systems function properly. Here are a few: Have a diagram which locates the tank and drainfield, inspect the system at least every three years, pump the tank as needed, use water efficiently and keep vehicles and livestock off the septic system. Not maintaining a septic system can contaminate the ground water you and your neighbors drink.