How to Inspect the Attic, Insulation, Ventilation and Interior Course

Read the article titled “Insulation R-Value” learned how to calculate and determine R-Values.

Deck stairs with differing riser heights.

This attic opening located in the laundry area,is sufficient in size but is missing trim and lacks insulation

Attic inspection ,

Living in a newer home , I have inspected my attic area and my cathedral area. In my attic the builder/insulator failed to baffold much of the roof and did not put in gable vents, lovely for me.not to mention completely missed some of the rafter pockets with insulation, note this is all cellulose.
In my cathedral area it is dense packed 2x12 rafters on 19.2 centers.

I did do some research on the cathedral area and found out that dense pack with no ventilation is what insulators are going to.

The picture included is of the areas they missed insulating

The picture shows a rotted threshold on an exterior 2nd floor. The deck on the outside was installed with no step down provided. There were also no gutters provided at the edge of the roof that terminated about 4’ above the deck

This attic opening located in the laundry room is of sufficient size, but lacks a piece of trim and is uninsulated.

I read the article ‘Inspecting Residential Interior Doors’ I found it interesting, and was shocked at the number and type of injuries associated with doors. The standard items of reveal, hanging flush, proper swing and latching were all items I thought of reviewing for inspection, but the lack of proper sealing top and bottom was one that I didn’t think of

I’m right to the point! X off the box if there is an issue note it add a picture ,move on to the next item

I read the article about bump keys . I believe locks only keep honest people honest!Get a mid priced lock, a top of the line gun. And keep the home owners policy paid!!!

There is pile of info in this module. I am really enjoying these courses.

This is a picture of a commonly used type of soffit vent. It is a metal vent with a screen on the upper side. The vent was installed with the louvers facing outward instead of inward toward the building.

I inspected the attic of the house that I live in. I was able to access all areas pretty well. The insulation is loose fill fiberglass and was of appropriate installation except it should be noted that several areas above the garage, had some compaction of material due to items being stored there previously. Exits of piping and vent areas were free of any signs of moisture or water damage. Ventilation was open and clear of debris. Mechanical conduits were intact and no noticeable damage was observed.

I read the installing attic insulation article. I’m familiar with the methods and have seen them applied many times. I do frequently encounter insufficient guarding of electrical components from insulation.

This is batt insulation with a vapour barrier in a 24" center wood 2x4 stud framed basement.

Just realized how much energy is being wasted in the average home by not installing enough insulation. I know in my own home I have removed a lot of bad insulation and replaced it with thicker batts during remodeling. I have found loads of info in this course. Thank you.

Here you can see a framed exterior wall that has been insulated with a spray-in foam. The foam is sprayed in and then trimmed down to the surface of the stud so the drywall can then be installed.

This picture is of a 18-year old double pane, wood trim casement window with crank handle. Window fogging is observed. There is a small crack in the footprint of the fogging. There is also wood rot in the lower corner of the window glass, likely attributed to the damage. A small spider was also observed with webbing in the same corner. The window is not longer functioning properly as an insulation component and is allowing moisture and pest intrusion. Recommend replacement by a qualified, licensed contractor.

While completing the Attic, Insulation & Ventilation inspection and the Doors, Windows & Interior inspection I came across an attic access that measured approx. 15 x 20 with a permanent shelf system obstructing access. I noted it as obstructed, but still entered the space. I noted several deficiencies in the space, so glad I did. In the future, I may need more specialized equipment to be able to inspect such spaces. It should be noted getting into those spaces is much easier than getting out again!

I read the attic pull down ladder article. I chose that article because, based on my personal experience, this will likely be an area of deficiency in a significant percentage of my inspections. Particularly, the lack of insulation, the improper installation and structural issues, and wood deterioration. In my sample inspection for this section, I inspected an 18 year old, 2900 SF home with two separate attic spaces. One had access in the garage, via a pull down ladder, which was uninsulated, approx. 2-3 inches too long, and the light switches were not located at the point of access.

Randy Goad

This is an example of what appears to be mold due to a leaky shower drain in an off grade home crawl space. This was discovered during an inspection. The leak was repaired and mold remediation performed on the home. There were other signs of mold in the area also due to long term slow leaks in the plumbing system. Be careful not to disturb suspected mold while doing an inspection, it can be hazardous…