How to Inspect the Attic, Insulation, Ventilation and Interior Course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

Here is a picture of ductwork in a crawl space that is uninsulated. As a result the supply is condensating. I would recommend for the ductwork to be wrapped in insulation. Also one of the duct runs has two 90 degree elbows coming straight off the supply plenum which is excessive restriction

Research & Writing Assignment:

Today I read about the article about attic pull down ladders, and how homeowners are usually the ones who install them which can result in a hazardous situation. Most homeowners won’t think twice before cutting structural members of the home.

Insulation R-Value has many different variables.The area for it to be installed.The type material chosen.The proper method of installation.Weatherstripping combined with the other factors.All have a part in the energy efficiency,comfort,and temperature control.The more informed an inspector is,the better they can convey it to the client.

This is a double pane window image which shows what goes on in a double pane window. A double pane window will insulate better than a single paned window. In between the windows there is gas usually argon or air. This helps with condensation. The Silica also absorbs moisture if some water pass through or is trapped.

Tools every homeowner should have. I chose to read and write about the respirator or safety mask. A mask should be worn when working with small particles like dust. The mask will prevent most particles from entering your lungs. There are disposable kinds when are cheap and comes in packs. Always throw away used disposable masks after use.

GFCI outlet, or ground fault circuit interrupter. This device is used instead of a traditional outlet when moisture or water is present, specifically bathrooms and kitchens. These devices shut off power when an inbalance of power from either the neutral or energized wire is detected, which means a leakage of power is present. Using these devices instead of traditional outlets has been shown to decrease instances of electrical shock and provide a safer environment for the homeowner.

There was a picture describing the importance of tree height and its relevance to its proximity to power lines. For large trees, the height of the tree cannot exceed the distance from the tree to the power line. This prevents a tree from falling down and damaging the power pole or line itself. Smaller trees are of less concern, but should still follow the same pattern of placement as large trees.

This is a picture of a crawlspace. As you can see, there is debris scattered around on the floor. But more importantly, you can see that it is a dirt floor and it does not have a vapor retarder on it. I would highly recommend placement of a 6 mil polyethylene plastic sheet in order to dramatically stop any water vapor from coming up through the earth and entering the house.

I have been going over the article “Moisture Intrusion”. The vast majority of moisture entering a buildings envelope is through air movement. So knowing this, air movement must be stopped or at least brought to a minimum. Using the proper air barrier and ensuring that it is sealed properly is the key. Moisture is still able to enter a house through other avenues though, and these must be addressed as well. Proper ventilation of high humidity areas, like bathrooms, will help lower the humidity inside the house by venting that air outside. If steps are not taken to reduce moisture, a variety of health issues can result, even for those who don’t suffer from health issues already.

The image chosen for my essay is of an attic I inspected about a month ago. It was discovered that there was little insulation present in the attic, and no insulation in many areas of the attic. This was not a major concern for my client who is a general contractor and is fully capable of adding the necessary insulation to achieve local requirements and reduce their energy costs. I include this as my essay image however because insulation, at least in my area, is a little considered item that my clients consider when purchasing a new property.

The article chosen for my essay is “10 Easy Ways to Save Money & Energy in Your Home”, by Nick Gromicko, Ben Gromicko, and Kenton Shepard. I chose this because I encounter so many first-time home buyers who have never considered the effects from improper insulation in their future homes. The article discusses multiple “tips” on reducing energy costs and saving clients money on one of the greatest costs, at least in my location, of owning a home.

Photo shows basement stairs with handrail more than 38" in height where there have been no handrail risers installed. Recommended course of action is to contact licensed contractor to replace handrail with one that is proper height and has risers installed with correct spacing of no more than 4"

When looking for defects in stair handrails and risers, It is important to consider the fact that many first time home buyers will have small children. In some cases improperly spaced risers or handrails with a diameter too large for a small child to grasp can pose dangers equal to if not greater than not having any rail system at all.

During a typical home inspection, an inspector needs to check the width of uprights on all hand rails for safety purposes. You may use your own closed fist to check the dimension between balusters if you do not have a 4-3/8" sphere.

During a typical home inspection, stair risers need to be enclosed and if they are open, it is a defect. This is an unsafe condition for small children who may be able to crawl through these openings and become hurt.

This is a picture of the ductwork in an attic. As you can see the ductwork is fully insulated. It is also held up off the floor and out of the way so that work is done in the attic, such as replacing the furnace, the chances of it getting damaged is significantly reduced,

As you inspect the attic area, I start at the top and go down. I note the type of decking, the length of nails any water damage or mechanical damage. I look at the insulation noting type, depth and looking for proper installation

As a home inspector when it comes to insulation and ventilation we should inspect the following items: insulation and vapor retarders in unfinished spaces, ventilation of attics and foundation areas, kitchen, bathroom, laundry, and similar exhaust systems. The inspector should not be required to disturb insulation.

R-value is a measure of resistance to heat flow through a given thickness of material. In theory, the higher the R-value, the greater that resistance. The R-value of insulation is a measure of how well it reduces the flow of heat and cold into and out of your house. The higher the R-value, per inch of thickness, the better job the insulation will do when you heat or cool your home.

Spacing between handrail spindles cannot be greater than 4". That spacing came about due to small kids getting their head stuck in between the spindles or worse yet, falling through the handrail. Definitely a parents worst nightmare and easy to avoid if the construction of the handrail is built to code.