How to Inspect the Attic, Insulation, Ventilation and Interior Course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

The above attic looks well insulated. The 2x4 for 16inches on center for stud walls in the attic. The insulation appears to be R-38. This would make sense the home is in zone 3 based on the DOE chart. I will recommend the home buyer to have an Energy Audit to be performed on this home. That way my client will have a clear understand of exactly what is needing to make this house more energy efficient.

Research & Writing Assignment:

In the article Fire Alarm System. It good for commercial Inspector to know about fire alarm systems to help their clients understand that is vital for their system to operate properly. Depending on the age of the system it will tell you the level maintenance in order for system to work correctly. The older the system the more likely repair will be need.
Smoke detector are only rate for 10 year by most manufactures. Even though most building owner do replace until way after twenty years

Many Hazards can be encountered during the inspection of a crawlspace. Always be sure to wear personal protective equipment.
Hazards you may encounter may be pest including but not limited to ants, termites, spiders, snakes, bees and scorpions.
Take extra precautions if there are signs of the structure being unstable, signs of standing water or sewage or improper wiring.

Disconnected duct work was observed in the attic space at the time of the inspection. This can lead to the loss of conditioned air and can lead condensation build up in the attic. Consult with a qualified contractor to repair and further assess the attic duct work at that time.

Here I have a double hung window installed on the back side of a home that was built about 10 yrs ago, the window is in exceptionally good condition. The frame is also sturdy and stable. The window sill on the inside is raised to min. length required and is tightly sealed.

After reading the article on adjustable steel columns, the minimum size a steel column can be is 3 inches. Another thing to look at is how the column is connected to the floor. The column should be mechanically connected with not more than 3 inches of screw thread showing.

WHILE STUDYING AN ILLUSTRATION ON CHIMNEY HEIGHTS I LEARNED THAT IF THE ROOF HAS A 10 FT PEAK THE CHIMNEY HAS TO EXTEND 2 FT ABOVE THAT POINT. I ALSO LEARNED IN AN ILLUSTRATION ABOUT CHIMNEY FLASHING THAT THE COUNTER FLASHING MUST BE ATTACHED I INCH INTO THE MORTAR JOINT. THIS IS THE ORDER THE FLASHING AND SEALANT SHOULD BE PLACED IN; BRICK, SEALANT, COUNTER FLASHING, AND STEP FLASHING.

There are signs water damage on the ceiling of the upstairs middle bedroom, indicating a leak of some kind - possibly from the roof. After investigating in the attic, the damage is immediately beneath the water pan of the upstairs HVAC unit. Recommend asking seller if this is an active leak or from a past event.

After reading the article “10 Easy Ways to Save Money & Energy in Your Home” -

Sealing and insulating your home is one of the easiest ways to make your home more energy efficient and save money by lowering your utility bills. Air leakage can occur in a number of places, including attic hatches, mail slots, fireplace dampers, baseboards, windows or doors. Hot air rises, which in turn causes most air leakage to occur through the attic. Plugging any visible holes with caulk and adding weatherstripping to the attic access are two great ways to minimize air leakage and make your home more energy efficient.

This is a photo of a window with a failed seal and needs to be replaced. The seal has failed and the argon gas is leaking. Before too long, vision will be completely impaired when trying to look through this window and a small amount of insulation will be lost.

I looked at pictures of landings at doors. The size of landings is important to ensure safety when entering or exiting a building. There are some exceptions, but in most cases, there must be a minimum of 36 inches of length for each landing.

I viewed the image “Air Leakage Locations”. The image shows many locations in a house that can be air sealed using caulk. Air sealing can be very important in a house because most warm and wet air moves through the small cracks and holes that can be easily sealed up with caulk. The focus is on corners,penetrations and floor and wall connections.

The attached photo is of a crack on a garage floor. The concrete is slab on grade. This is a large crack and upon further inspection the door above is not square and there is a crack in the drywall coming off the corner of the trim.

This is a picture of the foundation wood framing. The wood post are not properly secured/nailed to the metal bracket. The size of the post is not the same width of the beam that is holding up. The bracket is a larger than the wood post. Further evaluation is needed by a qualified professional.

When inspecting a bathroom is carpet flooring it is difficult to determine the condition of the subfloor. The recommendations that can be provided are to clean the carpet regularly, install an exhaust fan and keep water from splashing into the carpet.

This photo shows the stairs and landing at the rear entrance of a home. The landing did not measure 36 inches and the handrails was loose and unstable. The door did not open over the landing and only the storm did which is allowed.

i read the article on Eyebrow Dormers. I have never seen this type of window/dormer. I was totally taken back by the expense of repair and can see where these could pose a huge problem if not installed and maintained correctly. I wouldn’t be interested in having these in my home.

This is a picture of an overhead garage door on the southeast side of the building. The garage door functions properly and seems to be well maintained. The door smoothly operates by hand and by means of the electronic garage door opener. There is some rust on the springs. Should be addressed by a certified garage door technician.

I chose the gallery on crawlspaces. I observed in the gallery how important it was to check for cracks in the foundation, insulation on the underside of the residence and placing a moisture barrier on dirt floors in the crawlspace. I now know how important it is to keep moisture out of a residence and how easy the entry for moisture is through the crawlspace.

Severe ice damming on a 1950 house with a cathedule ceiling. The ice can do significant damage to the asphalt shingle roof. Adding insulation on the top of the roof when re-roofing is a possible solution. Reducing air leakage from the house into the roof space would also help.