“How to Perform Roof Inspections” Course

practice

test

It’s important that gutters work properly. Leaves have a tendency to collect in them and can cause drainage issues. It’s also important to check the bottom of the gutters. Roof issues can sometimes be realized by the contents of what is coming out of the gutters like a large amount of asphalt.

clogged gutter.jpg

I read an article on how to limit your liability as a home inspector. First, and seemingly most obvious is to register to internachi’s free negligent referral protection plan. It’s also important to manage a client’s expectations. Be sure to adhere to the Code of Ethics by internaci and complete thorough work.

The following is step flashing on a chimney

Power strips: their use and hazards- I read this article. They should only be used temporarily and sparingly. They should never be daisy chained (attached to other power cords). Should not be routed thru walls, floors, ceilings, etc. Check to see if they are hot. Never to be used in moist areas and should be in well ventilated areas.

This is a picture taken in the attic at the attic entry space while starting my underside inspection of the roof. It appears that there is an active water intrusion issue. This should be inspected and corrected by a qualified roofing contractor. If left not repaired it could potentially cause wood decay and possible mold issues.

For my research article I decided to focus on attic pull down ladders. This article covered common defects associated with the installation of these attic entry methods. Most ladders that have been installed incorrectly have been installed by homeowners and not a professional and should inspected for any safety issues before you as an inspector attempt to climb in the attic.

In this photo I have taken a picture where my roof meets a wall and meets the gutter. The step flashing has been installed properly and the siding acts as the counter flashing. There is a kickout on the last piece of step flashing. The shingles extend over the drip edge and onto the gutter ensuring that the water runs into the gutter and not behind. I would say that this roof system is working properly.

For my research I have decided to look at different types of guttering. Some common in the U.S. are galvanized steel and aluminium. You can often tell the difference between the two by tapping on them. You can often determine the slope of a gutter by referencing it’s location in relation to the fascia. A way to diagnose improperly sloped gutters is by observing standing water in them or also a collection of sediment in areas away from the downspout.

For this part of the course . The photo is of a sinking driveway from water and other weather related issues possibly. I recommend it be further evaluated by a foundation expert . Maybe even request that the driveway be removed and pored with new a new cement driveway.

I performed an inspection on a detached garage. The roof was asphalt shingles and appeared to be about 5-7 years old. The attached picture is of the gutters on the west end of the garage. They are pulling away from the facia board, probably from a falling tree branch. I would report this as defective and suggest further inspection and repair by a certified roofing contractor.

For my research exercise I read the article titled, ‘Mastering Roof Inspections: Pests’. It is very important to be mindful of pests and depending on area, what pests you may encounter. Stinging pests like bees can be very dangerous, especially if you are on high, steep roof. This further reinforces why it is important to tie off your ladder amd keep it stable during a quick escape. Any indication of pests should be notated on the report to follow up with a certified professional.

This roof could not be walked upon because of the type of covering. From my vantage point the chimney appears to be in good condition. It extends 3 feet higher than the roof with no other adjacent roofing. The flashings appear to be installed correctly. The brick and motar appear undamaged as well as the chimney cap and rain cap. No observable problems today

This picture is a tilt roof in FL. The soffit is fully vented around building. The fascia looks good and you can see the drip edge. One thing I did notice is at the end of each barrel it is closed in with aluminum closers and each has a small hole. I think this is for ventilation.

During my years of construction I have seen many problems with the dryer vent terminating in the attic. One in particular that I remember was an attic where the dryer vent exhausted in the attic. I saw this during the winter I could not believe my eyes. The dryer had been on and I saw icicles hanging from the rafters, sheathing and on the insulation. It could be seen that this existed for a long time because of the water stains and mold. We had to replace the roofing ,sheathing, rafters, insulation and sheetrock. Which was a large expense to the home owner. We also exhausted the dryer vent to the exterior.

RE: “How to Terform a Roof Inspection”

I am not able to upload pictures; can anyone help?

While inspecting a roof and area of sheathing was discovered to have severe wood rot. Photos were taken of the rot and of the moisture reading. The customer was informed that they should contact a qualified roofing contractor to get and evaluation and an estimate of the cost to repair.

I read the article on wood decay and found the information useful when talking to customers. It doesn’t matter how much the house is worth, they are all equally defective in my view. People in multi-million dollar home most likely never go in their attics and depend on others to let them know there is an issue. In middle class homes, they are used for storage and leaks are generally seen faster. If people would pay to have someone to inspect their attics annually, costly roof damage could be avoided.

This picture is showing a clogged downspout. Poorly functioning gutters let rainwater seep into small cracks in wood or molding, which could lead to rotted eaves or fascia. This could ultimately lead to water getting into the home’s ceilings and walls. Without properly maintained gutters to funnel water away, heavy rains can cause erosion of the landscape
immediately surrounding your home. This will lead to mud and flooded grass, but more seriously put you at risk for a
flooded basement or a compromised foundation. Falling water that’s not funneled by gutters can also cause “backsplash,” or water from your roof’s eaves hitting the ground and staining the bottom of your home’s exterior which could cause mold or mildew to form. I recommend having a qualified contractor clean the gutters and unclog the downspouts.