“How to Perform Roof Inspections” Course

Since the 70s, IF has been used for inspecting flat and low-slope roofs checking for moisture entrapment. These days, using IR for all types of roof inspection is on the rise as it shows what the naked eye cannot see. Because thermal imaging makes apparent temperature differences viewable, it is excellent at finding moisture issues.

First thing I noticed walking on the roof is that half of the roof was new as you might be able to tell by the different colors of the shingles on the left compare to the color of the cap. Second, there is moss growing on the shingle which may retain moisture under the shingles. Third, I can see two nails on the cap without being sealed and that may allow water to leak into the attic. I will be inspecting the attic to see if I can find any signs of leaks.

Today I have read an article on “Abrasive Blasting.”

I knew about dry-ice being used for mold remediation, but using baking soda is new to me. that process is called "Soda Blasting." I find that both process seam to be quick; however, complicated and expensive. I do find it very interesting that soda blasting was used in the restoration of the Statue of Liberty. 

I have seen mold growing in many in my life and personally, I always found that bleach worked well for me. I'm not saying that other people should do the same, but all I can say is it did work for me every time I saw mold.

Thank you.

This building has a flat roof covered with a roofing membrane. The roof has improper drainage noted in the area above the main living room. Standing water noted at time of inspection. The amount of algae growth on the roof suggests this is a long term, ongoing issue. Recommend further evaluation and correction.
[ATTACH]IMG_3484.JPG[/ATTACH]

IMG_3484.JPG

IMG_3477.JPG

I chose the article titled “A Garage Inspection”.
This is a very interesting article. It is hard to imagine that someone with any construction background at all would make those kind of alterations. My biggest concern is if those alterations are made in an area that is dry-walled and insulated. Some of those defects would be impossible to see…

While walking the roof, I found the 1 1/2" lead bath vent had corroded and collapsed into the attic space.

Roof Inspections

Components from a number of different home systems may be present in the attic, and the scope of this article is limited to roof defects, so we won’t be covering the complete attic inspection in detail here.

Wear a respirator. Many types of insulation contain particulates that become airborne when the insulation is disturbed. Insulation particulates may cause respiratory problems, and various diseases can be transmitted by airborne particulates containing virus or bacteria from animal urine or feces. Dust masks are inadequate.

The attic is a great place to find evidence of roof leaks, especially if you’ve already seen potential problems on the roof.

Look for daylight. If you can see out, water may be able to find its way in. The exception is older shake roofs. You can sometimes see daylight through them without finding signs of leakage.

I found a few issues with the roof I inspected. The first issue is the gutter from the upper roof is dumping onto the lower roof. The concentrated amount of water that comes out and dumps onto the roof can be damaging to the shingles, causing granular loss in that area. The other defect is missing kick out flashing where the roof ends on a wall. The water running down the roof/wall edge can get behind the siding, causing damage to the home.no doown ed.jpgnail hheed ed.jpg

nail hheed ed.jpg

nail hheed ed.jpg

no doown ed.jpg

nail hheed ed.jpg

I chose to do my research on no gutter on a home. Water can be the biggest enemy of many homes. Gutters and grading are always the best defense against any water issues. Not having gutters installed on all drip edges of the home will allow concentrated amounts of water to fall close to the foundation of the home. Homes with little to no overhang of the roof are at a slightly higher risk of water issues. Over time the water will cause the grading to settle around the home, allowing more water to collect around the foundation. Having downspout extensions are also very important to help shed water. An extension of at least 6 feet is recommended.

In the photos you can see that this roof has asphalt 3 tab shingles. The shingles are worn with granule loss. They are laying very flat. Some shingles have blown/broken off near the top. We see exposed fasteners and some loose shingles. Roof needs repair and corrections.[ATTACH]DSCN5991.JPG[/ATTACH]

DSCN5991.JPG

DSCN5990.JPG

Kick Out Flashing

Kick out flashing is designed to divert water away from the siding of the home. This flashing is installed at the eve or gutter where the roof comes in contact with the exterior wall and the wall runs past the roof edge. Kick out flashing reduces the risk of water penetrating the exterior siding. When properly installed water will be diverted into a gutter if present and none less away from the siding of the home

Debris should be cleared out of gutters for proper drainage. And they should be angled correctly for the flow of water going at the correct rate.

Clear debris from the roof and always report on tree over hangs. Be safe when walking the roof. Never do it if you feel it is unsafe.

Roof Inspection

The Roof that I inspected is a clay tile with a 4:12 slope. No visual damage or penetrations to the rood membrane was observed except for a crack shown on the picture below; a roofing contractor should be inquired to get further knowledge of tiles durability and performance. No leaks or damage to the plywood was observed. Gutter system, flashing and drip edge were properly install and seen to be in good working condition.
Here is a picture of the crack tile:

This roof inspection shows, some repairs over the garage. No leaks were found. Some nail caps are are not sealed on vents, the caps on the roof are showing signs of age, but no leaks. Around main power line a few tiles are cracked and need to be replaced. Where the garage meets house needs to be re-sealed and flashing replaced. Over all the roof needs to be replaced soon to prevent leaks.

Roof Inspection- Short Essay
The picture I took was from the ground looking up at my roof. Because my neighbor has my ladder, I did not go up on the roof, so the inspection of the shingles, gutters, fascia, soffit, etc. was from the ground level. It is safe to say that the asphalt shingles are getting old and weathered. I would definitely put that on my inspection checklist and recommend that a roofer come out and do further inspection on all the shingles. I was not able to see if the shingles were badly cracked, but from the view I had, I am pretty sure they would be.

Research exercise Short Essay-What to do after choosing a contractor

For this assignment, I chose what the consumer needs to do after choosing a contractor for work that needs to be completed. First, and foremost, you need to make sure that there is a written contract for all work taking place. This is a necessary step to ensure that you are protected. You also need to make sure the contractor has any necessary or required building permits and that they are following any building codes. Finally, the contractor needs to have worker’s comp insurance and general liability insurance. This protects them and you in case of any accidents.

First thing is a good ladder and safety, When doing roof inspection, check how many layers of singles are on the roof ( no more than 2 layers ) Check flashing on all areas of the roof. What kind of singles are applied, look for cracks or missing singles. Check flashing on all vents coming thru roof to make sure everything is sealed. While up on the roof check gutters to see if clear of debris. If home has sky sign lights, check for the sealing. Also if any trees are over hanging on the roof advise that they be trimmed. When done with roof , go into attic to check for any signs of moisture coming from roof.

I’ve been getting a more clear picture on what general factors play into shingles detaching on a roof surface, i figured they were just improperly attached. I know now that some of the issues that can cause this are deterioration of the actual asphalt coating due to high sunlight, as well as physical damage from hail, tree limbs, and from contractors and inspectors walking on the weakened shingle. Shrinkage is also a factor when the shingle dries up, the attachment of the shingle is stressed and becomes weak.

GEDC0024.JPG

After completing the roof inspection course i’ve learned to start calling out gutter systems that terminate onto another roofing surface. I should have known as it makes perfect sense that the concentration of water on a small area of the roof on top of the additional velocity will degrade the shingles in that area far quicker than the rest of the roofing surfaces. It is very common in my region to see this, but still it is a defect that can create roofing issues much sooner than anticipated.