“How to Perform Roof Inspections” Course

I took the ‘how to perform a roof inspection’ course. I learned a few interesting things. The first was that according to Internachi SOP we are not required to walk on the roof. Although I will when safe, I thought all inspectors HAD to walk the roof.
One of the more interesting things I learn was that a drip edge should be installed over the underlayment on the rakes of a roof and under the overlayment on the eaves. Never knew it mattered.
I also learned the height requirement on chimneys was at least 3 feet high and 2 feet higher than any roof closer than 10 feet horizontally.

Hope this satisfies the essay requirements.

This is a roofline in my neighbourhood. A couple things wrong, no underlayment used at the ridge. The contractor just turned a row of 3 tab shingles around and used as eaves starter. The shingles are a 210 lb. weight and are starting to curl. Also, the gutter (hard to see) are very full of debris and could cause water problems if not cleaned.

roof.jpg

This picture provides an excellent (ground view) example of closed-cut valley. The overlapping shingles from the right hand plane are cut back approximately two inches from the valley. The roof is new (less than 6 months) and in excellent shape.

The topic I chose was dryer vent safety. I found a couple of things note worthy in the article. First, the length of the dryer exhaust duct “must not exceed 25 feet” in length. This seems excessively long. This use of “screens” in the exhaust duct is also prohibited (M1502.2). I have rented a home that had the screen in the exhaust duct and lint collected on the scene until the duct became clogged and an extreme fire hazard. Now I know I didn’t need t feel guilty for removing the screen.

Several articles caught my attention and I’ll definitely usesome of them to share with my clients and business acquaintance, but thearticle on THE 15 TOOLS EVERY HOMEOWNERSHOULD OWN is not only really helpful and a great idea is also rarely shareon our industry. This article not only shows and outline the tools it also explainswhy is needed and the way to be use it!

10 easy ways to save money & energy in your home

I found this article very useful because of the needs that everyone has 

to manage money for all the expenses. Any would love to know these tips that must of the time we don’t use. With this article any inspector will provide knowledge to the client leaving a good impression.

My essay is on a flat roof, it does not have any flashing around it to keep moisture from going inside the structure. I also have pictures of the moisture that is inside as well. This has the rolled roofing on it that actually should have been with tar.

M is on Garage Inspections.

The garage in this article had quite a few errors. Improper alterations, you need to have approval from a structional engineer. There was also improper bearing points. Inadequate metal connectors (hanger), fasteners (deck screws), and fastener installation (through drywall).

These images are of an old, 1878 schoolhouse with a wood shake roof. It obviously is in need of replacement. I noticed a kick-out above the first course, possibly to deflect water away from the foundation. It seems to me that it would form an ice dam (moisture problems).

This is a roof that has proper underlayment with the bottom course being ice and water. This was done throughout the roof as well as adding proper venting as the roof did not have proper ventilation before. This house added ridge venting as that was the best option.

I read the article about roofing underlayment types. Installation of felt underlayment on roofs with a low-pitch should be overlapped by 19 inches to provide double layer underlayment throughout the roof. Felt should be fastened with staples but in high wind areas they should be covered with nails with plastic caps.

ARTICLE;Snow Guard Inspection.
Snow guards are tabs that stick up approx.1"from the bottom of shingles to prevent ice or snow from sliding off the roof and causing damage to property,or injuries.They are not used on every row.Spacing is determined by manufacturer recommendations,roof material,and slope.

This photo show moss on a roof. The entire roof was covered with moss and there was active leaking in the attic. The covering does need to be replaced, although due to the apparent newness of the leaks its life may be able to be extended for a short time by patching with tar as leaks develop.

IMG_2515.JPG

The article I researched was about inspecting underlayment. Underlayments are manufactured with different properties designed to meet the needs of homes in different climate zones. The purpose of an underlayment is to be a moisture barrier, aid with temporary protection, prevent chemical degradation and provide fire resistance.

Today I chose to report on downspouts, as they are both a structural and roofing component.

As you can see in the picture, the downspout has some wear on it. However, as a home inspector we do not comment on cosmetic defects unless they are a material deficiency.

There is however a deficiency in the drainage location, as well as the main connection at the eaves level.

Drainage should be at minimum 2 feet from the foundation with this type of downspout (Aluminum, surface drainage). The drainage does fall on sloped ground, which is a correct method. It would still require an extension though to divert water from the footing.

As the second picture shows, the downspout has been disconnected and reconnected multiple times as well. Causing a .5"-1" hole at the connection point to the eaves.

This could cause leakage on to the deck, foundation, and footing below.

I chose to report on the “Garage Doors and Openers” article.

The article touches on many points, the main topic being safety features. An automatic door must have a safety reverse system in place. As well as a manual release handle/lever, stickers pertaining to risks of operation/maintenance (spring, general, warning, tension labels), door panels and hinges (any cracking, sagging, or general deficiencies), and wall mounted switches in a suitable place for use.

The article interested me regarding roof inspections, as well as the fact that I live in a rural community and most homes in the area are much older. In some homes I’ve seen homeowners replace their manual wood panel garage doors with metal (with torsion bars I’m assuming), only to have the garage beam sag and on one occasion rafters sag. It’s important that all roof framing be brought up to spec when installing new (and heavy) equipment. As to avoid further costs and damage to the home structure.

I chose to read on flashing. The flashing types and their performance is important because they can prevent water damage. The proper flashing and installation is vital to homes. As inspectors it’s important to make sure the the proper flashing is installed, not only properly, but to note the corrosion level as well. The wrong flashing or poorly installed flashing can lead to major structural and financial problems for the client.

November 16, 2016

The picture I have submitted is of my downspout on my condo.
It is in excellent condition. You can see the drip edge on the roof line that is installed correctly and is in great condition.
The downspout is manufactured from galvanized steel. It is about 6” square and about 26’ in length.
I have walked around my complex and found some downspouts damaged and even missing at one location.
The roof is hard to get to but I can see from the ground that the shingles appear to be in good condition. It appears to be just 1 layer of shingles.
There are no chimneys.

Opened up an inspection for metal roofs.
I learned about the different styles of metal roofing and the reasons for them.
The different materials was interesting. Thought the copper would be very expensive to use.
My roof would be a copper, standing seam roof.

I took this picture of some left over shingles left over by the previous owner in the garage. I noticed that these shingles are flat and rectangular shape, and that the material feels like a rough sand paper. Actually the shingles are made up of fiberglass because these are what is called asphalt shingles. They are supposed to last up to twenty to twenty five years depending on the climate and weather conditions. There was a recent hurricane that passed through my area which in fact was fairly light. But due to the storm a piece of shingle came off. I need to repair that missing shingle because if left unrepaired over time water can enter the roof structure.