How to Perform Wind Mitigations

Research & Writing Assignment:

I researched wind mitigation and found some interesting facts. In 2006, the largest insurer in Florida asked for a 45% rate increase for wind insurance and most insurance companies followed suit. I also learned that garage doors commonly fail during high wind due to lacking the proper bracing and bracketing of the panels and tracking.

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

A Wind Mitigation report is an inspection usually required by insurance carriers in the State of Florida, or those with windstorm insurance. The form used is referred to as the ‘1802’, and must be completed by a licensed GC, building contractor, architect, engineer or building inspector.

I learned that In Florida, the portion of a homeowner’s premium covering wind damage can be up to 70% of the total, depending on location. I also learned that in 2006, Citizens Insurance, one of the largest property insurers in Florida, requested a 45% rate increase for wind insurance.

Roof deck attachment unknown. Roof to wall attachment: no attic access. Hip roof with no other shapes greater than 10% of the total roof system perimeter. Unknown secondary water resistance. No existing opening protection windows are made of single pane glass.

Deciding what to bill your customers can be decided on of two ways. Researching what your local market averages per inspection is one way. This is called Market Based Pricing. It helps to figure out what your projected annual income is to be, what your overhead is, and how much profit your company is projecting.

Curve in the strap shows an improper installation of rafter to concrete wall. The would be consisted a toenail strap which reduces the effectiveness of the strap during high wind conditions. This was found on several adjacent rafters which needs to be noted.

In the Wind Mitigation article, I reviewed the main components of the assessment. The garage should have reinforcement with 6 to 9 mounting brackets. Sliding glass doors should be replaced with impact resistant glass. Roof shape greatly affects stability of roof during high winds. How the roof is attach is critical to a roof to fight against high wind uplift.

getting started

The following picture shows that there is only 1 nail for the strap and has a nail that missed the lower strap. The tie down behind it only has one staple. The roof to wall connection could be an older home because of the one strap.

The garage inspection showed that it had improper alterations and improper bearing points for the trusses. The trusses also had improper screws because they had deck screws and they weren’t properly installed to go into the drywall. You need to have the proper screws because they are a load bearing wall.

When performing a wind mitigation inspection around a home. Make note of roof shapes, look for opening protections, take photos of label and NOA if there is impact resistance coverings, also for skylights rating. In the attic take clear photos of roof to deck nailing patterns and size. Roof to wall connection, straps, clips and photos on both side of the rafters.

When performing a wind mitigation inspection around a home make sure you called the home owner to set up an appointment-date and time. Make note of roof shapes, look for opening protections, take photos of label and NOA if there is impact resistance coverings, also for skylights rating. In the attic take clear photos of roof to deck nailing patterns and size. Roof to wall connection, straps, clips and photos on both side of the rafters. Also get any record info from the home owners and county records is available.

While doing a wind mitigation check at 12425 nw 2nd ave North Miami Florida. The none glazed opening were impact but the glazed openings were impacted. The roof deck thickness was 1/2 inches. The roof to wall attachment was single wrap.

In some states, homeowners can benefit from reduced insurance premiums. The Gulf Coast states, which are most prone to windstorm damage from hurricanes, have each considered mandating incentives to mitigate damage due to wind. Mississippi and Texas currently do not have such legislation, although Florida has been successful. Following Hurricane Andrew, Florida passed a law requiring insurance companies to offer their customers discounts and credits for existing building features and home improvements that reduce damage and loss from wind. In order to qualify for this discount, homes must undergo a certified home wind inspection. However, many Floridians do not know of this law.

When we conduct an inspection on doors and windows for a wind mitigation report we must take into consideration what type of roof covering and opening protection has the residence. Verify each window and accessible door to determine whether or not it complies with the building state code. Verify if you have an identification level that indicates in detail what type of resistance you have, and see if there are weak points in them

When inspecting a garage door it is necessary to observe several characteristics and important points. Probably the largest object and weight moving in a house, and are the cause of at least 20,000 accidents annually. Many of these accidents caused by the lack of an automatic reverse sensor to contact. As an Inspector, we should not try to fix it, but we should write the report as a defect and recommend the evaluation of a qualified garage door technician. Other points to be evaluated as verifying the existence of emergency manual release which of being red color of easy identification and reach no more than 6 feet from the floor. Cracks, lack of screws, spring conditions, saddle, etc.

When you first look at this metal roof it looks beautiful. But after walking the roof very carefully I notice the roof would not meet the installation standards. I noted in the report of the visible gaps, too many missing screw or screws not screw in, unsecured sections and loose ridge caps. The roof would not withstand a storm in its present state. This roof would need further evaluation by a license roofer possible repair or replacement.

In this article about win mitigation, the writer points out that depending on the location of your home your Home owners premium covering wind damage can go up to 70% of the total bill. But there are some benefit to reduced your insurance premium that many homeowners are not aware. By having your home inspected for wind mitigation you could qualify for a reduction on your insurance premium if your house qualifies,or if doesnt qualify you could be advise of what repairs could be done to your house so in a storm it will not withstand high damage or destruction to your home which will save you money and repairs.

Wind Mitigation:
While inspecting all of the house opening notice a new installation three window combination double pane set.
I ask customer when did he get the windows installed and He told me a week prior he then said believe they were hurricane impact widows because the windows where double pane.
Through further investigation they wasn’t .Took picture of info on the windows frame and added too report.

Hurricane impact-resistant windows, sometime call hurricane proof witch there is no such thing as of now that are hurricane proof.
hurricane impact-resistant windows can be very expensive an a must have if your going to own a home in south Florida I learn the hard way back in 2005 Wilma show up uninvited to South Florida in a big way it was a day I would never forget.
On that October day I felt very helpless as the winds got so strong till it suck the window out on the negative pressure side of my house, at that very moment you could have sold me the most expensive windows known to man I would have done what ever it took to have those hurricane impact-resistant windows anything. If and when buying impact windows make sure it has a label that read Miami-Dade noa or fbc approval.