How to Perform Wind Mitigations

Wind Mitigation Inspection:
Garage doors fail in windstorm due to inadequate door-track strength and mounting systems, and flimsy metal panels.
Garage door need to have no windows; the tracks for the door that have six to nine mounting brackets, or continuous mounting;
track brackets that are securely attached to the wall; and
horizontal and/or vertical reinforcement on all panels.

Plywood vs OSB
Oriented strand board (OSB) and plywood are both widely used in the construction industry. My personal experience tells me that plywood is a much better product than OSB. Most people wil opt for OSB for the monetary savings not knowing that plywood is a better product,To them OSB and plywood are the same and achieve the same results not knowing OSB will have to be replaced sooner than plywood.

This is a mitigation report for the following property, the roof is a metal hip roof with a flat section of the porch area with granulated roll roofing material, it is all approved as per Miami-Dade county and the Florida Building Code.

In this section of the course i learned on how to perform a win mitigation report and how to properly complete the forms. I also learned on how to look for the proper ratings for the impact protection on the glazing.

Here is a picture that shows the roof decking.Roof decking is an integral component to the system and commonly is made up of OSB or plywood. This photo shows half inch plywood installed in 1998. An importan part of the report is showing the thickness of the sheathing.

In 2006 Citizens Insurance raised rates for wind insurance 45%. Many other companies followed suit, thus the incentive for better wind protection was established for homeowners. Insurance companies can order a wind mitigation report to evaluate the vulnerability of a structure.

The house was build in 1976 and is unknown or does not meet the requirement of A or B. The roof was replace in 2005 and is 12 years old. The permit #2005036075 and has a asphalt/fiberglass shingle in fail condition. There is a mental pan roof over the lanai installed 1976. The roof decking is plywood and is nailed with 8d common nails every 6". The roof to wall attached is toe nailed with 3 nails. The roof geometry meets a hip roof with 60’ non-hip and 217’ for the total perimeter of the roof. The SWR is unknown

I’m including a photo of the label found on a garage door. The house permit informs that the house was built on 1991 however the garage door seems to newer. The laber informs that it is Miami-Dade County approved with the number 12-0228.12.

The attached picture is of an attic space of a single family home, looking up at a hip section of the underlayment/sheathing. The underlayment/sheathing features decking that was observed to be correctly installed at a perpendicular angle to the trusses and featured two nails per truss connection.

Wind Mitigation article informs that 70% of the insurance premiums is for wind damage. In some cases $20k is the deductible. With the wind mitigation inspection you can get a credit on your insurance premium. These may range from 35% average discount for roof to wall attachments and up to 47% discount for your roof geometry being a hip type roof.

The article I read was, “Wind Mitigation”. The article discussed a few facts about windstorms and wind insurance, incentives for wind mitigation, and provided a checklist for wind mitigation techniques. I learned that significant rate increases for wind insurance were implemented in 2006. As well as, that lenders in Florida require homeowners to have windstorm insurance to be able to get a mortgage. The checklist within the article provide good information on what aspects of the home are to be inspected and what different types and materials we will encounter.

After reading damage during inspection, I see that breaking something during an inspection doing what would be considered normal use is actually a good thing for my client. It is better to have something like that break while a professional is there to explain to them what is wrong rather then when they are by themselves and say the house floods because they don’t know how to shut off the water!

Article - garage inspection. During the inspection the inspector had notice that the roof trusses had been alter with triangular plywood gussets. The inspector also notice that the roof trusses were supported by joist hangers and were fastened withfour gold deck screws each. Gold deck screws are designed to resist withdrawal and are not designed to resist shear. The inspector found more truss alterations. He notice the gang nail had been pried loose and in their place were a couple of bent-over nails.This condition can cause a terrific loss of strength and can cause the roof structural to failure.

This is the accordion style shutters that are on the front window of my home. They have a label with a code on it but when I went to the Miami dade website I couldn’t find them listed. I am going to assume that they are only approved by the FBC.

Attached is a picture indicating the use of clips to secure the trusses to the wall. Per the picture, the appropriate number of nails are installed in each clip in order to meet the specified requirements of B on the roof to wall attachment section.

Wind mitigation inspections in the state of Florida are very valuable for homeowners and insurance companies. With a small expense to the homeowner could save them much more than that on their premiums. This inspection can also inform homeowners on how to improve their homes for the future.

This is a gable wall that is in good condition. This is a gable wall that is in good condition. This is a gable wall that is in good condition. This is a gable wall that is in good condition.

Wind mitigation is a very important subject home inspectors should have knowledge on.Wind mitigation is a very important subject home inspectors should have knowledge on.Wind mitigation is a very important subject home inspectors should have knowledge and expertise on and about.

This sliding glass door has no wind protection. There are no shutters of any type and the glass does not have any wind rating whatsoever. This type of non protection is a defect and is not certified in any way.

The article I chose to read was safety glass for inspectors. Safety glass should contain a label. If no label is available it can be very hard to verify the type of glass that it is. Tempered glass is more commonly found in homes than laminated glass.