How to Recognize a Soft Home Inspection Report by Jim Bushart.

Jealous? :-k

Or… Are you just one of the disgruntled users who has no recourse because you signed away your right to complain?

I know you can’t answer that, can you? #-o

Ask Nathan how active my account is. I think I have had an account for two years and have only given out about 33 Recall checks. I just don’t see the ROI, but I don’t want to let the thread go in that direction.
…and you thought you knew me.:o

You’re just kidding right?? I thought Retard Check was the greatest thing that happened to mankind since the development of toilet paper.

Client safety is a pretty good ROI for me :slight_smile:

Not if the client couldn’t care less.:smiley:

What, It doesn’t;t work as promised?

Who da thunk.:roll::roll:

When I get clients that say “Do I have to pay extra for that? Because if I do, I don’t need it”. That is poor ROI in my book.:wink:

Nathan has already stated on this message board that he is not interested in non-users obtaining information, why is that do you think? :smiley:

Anyway, I understand your not wanting to share your reasons due to possible lawsuits you might incur, but the simple fact that you have limited your clients exposure speaks volumes… BTW, Your secret is safe with me. :wink:

LOL. That’s what they advised me many years ago when we were 1/10 the size of ASHI. Now they’re 1/10 the size of us. I like the trend the way it is continuing.

As my ancestor Genghis Khan once said: “It is not sufficient that I succeed — all others must fail.

I thought recall was free. Free to everyone. Free! Free! Free! At least that’s what Thorn has been preaching.

You ain’t been paying attention! :mrgreen:

NOTHING is 100% FREE !!!

From the Federal Trade Commission regarding the use of the word “Free”.

That’s it!!! I’m moving to Tampa and not Melbourne!!!:mrgreen:

What is they say… Location, location, location? In your case it won’t make a damn bit of difference, you’ll still be a Yankee from New Jersey. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good thread and it was time for it to be made…

Jim

Great article Jim thank you. But it is a little one sided, don’t get me wrong, it needed to be; that’s what made it hard hitting. I just want to point out that there is nothing wrong with being non-alarmist. I enjoy some great working relationships because of this. And as I get to know fellow NACHI members there are plenty of us.
To me, being a non-alarmist is simply the act of kindness with no agenda. I sincerely want my client to be aware of everything possible with their home. In my experiences so far, nearly all issues found were reasonably correctable. I’ve used phrases like “this is a serious concern and must be addressed as soon as possible”, or “this is not safe and could cause serious injury or death.” The difference is, I didn’t WANT to come across issues like this. When I inspect a home I hope 1/ to find as much as possible if not everything 2/ there’s not too much wrong because bad news sucks whoever you are.
Because I care (I’m sure many of you do too) I get to enjoy working with the better Realtors. How? It’s simple; if I care and they don’t, they won’t refer me because THEY see me as an alarmist. But if they care also, then they repect me for doing my job.
Many preach against marketing to Realtors. Why shun your greatest potential revenue source? I don’t get it. As long as you’re willing to weed out the unethical types (they’ll usually weed you out if you’re good) you could end up with some really great business relationships.
That’s MTCs

Cheers

Thanks, Mark. I believe that the article addresses more of advertising one’s self as a “non-alarmist” rather than being one. That, at least, was my intent. I think there is a big difference between the two.

My experience tells me the best way to develop business referrals is to keep a business-like demeanor when communicating with those associated with the real estate transaction. Leave all emotion at home and pause every time prior to communicating, the buyer, seller and RE agent bring far too much emotion to the inspection don’t get caught up in the wave.

There are many here who wish to dazzle their clients with their vast experience on every aspect, they explain in great detail information which has no bearing on true purpose of home inspection and sometimes they are completely wrong which only helps to confuse the participants.

I know that everyone goes beyond the boundaries of the SoP but before you do you should have a very good reason to do so beyond the ‘feel good’ aspects many use to justify spending four hours on a 2,000 sq-ft home which produces 80 page report that no one reads beyond the summary.

Spend an appropriate amount time on the big ticket items that truly impinge on the condition of the home, speak plain and communicate those conditions with the fewest words possible. Give your client the tools necessary to make good financial decisions and you will go far in this profession without having to soften something you most likely shouldn’t have been reporting on in the first place.

There is a voice inside all of us who continously comments on our actions, trust that voice.

Good post JB.
I do agree with what you said. One of the first things I learnt as a home inspector was how to talk to a client. I was at an inspection with my mentor and the light did not work in the stairwell. he asked for the ladder and checked to make sure there was power getting to the fixture. After the inspection he explained it like this. He could just leave it and put in his report: Fixture in stairwell did not respond to the switch. Recommend the bulb be checked and if not a burnt bulb, recommend further evaluation by a licnesed electrician. Or do what I did. Your choice. He did not alarm them by not checking.

About a month later I had the same issue. I did what he did and found it was just the bulb. After the inspection the realtor called to thank me for doing that because he had another inspector write in his report that it could be a potential fire hazard and should only be checked by an electrician.
There is a big differance between writing a soft report and giving the facts.