Hvac new business

My school of thought is that dryers must be changed whenever the refrigeration system is opened.
Suction line dryers are installed when necessary on completion of a diagnostic inspection of the old equipment. Suction buyers are also supposed to be removed at some point in time. See your Copland manual.
Maybe this is just old-school!

Just did a house this week; original furnace was gas forced air with standard AC, in 2005 they changed it out with a Carrier HP but did not change the thermostat (Yeah, I know). They also left the old 60 amp breakr for the unit when the new one calls for a max of 25 amp. No excuse for that kind of work.

Doug that is my point just curious did they change the A-coil and I can’t imagine how they possibly made the old stat work on a heat pump or did it.

David I think we attended the same school different day.

You and I both know that the suction dryer never gets changed out until it stops up. Have seen them so rusted up can barely tell what they were.

Charley,
They changed out both units for the heat pump but no they did not change the thermostat. It was a sorta mixed system. The indoor unit was a Carrier, outdoor unit a Payne (Carrier made) which I found a little odd for replacement. When calling for heat all you got was Emergency heat. No way to select heat mode on HP. I checked the thermostat wires too. Not enough strands for a HP so they “jury rigged it” to make it run. The meter was spinning like a frizby when it was in Emer Heat. I thought as first it might be someones cousin’s brother who did the work but it had the earmarks of a licensed HVAC person. The average person would not bother or know to hardcast the plenum / seams and around the base of the indoor unit. So for two winters someone was paying some hugh heating bills. Lucky we don’t get too much freezing weather here.

Good find keep up the good work. I call that kind of work SOUTHERN ENGINEERING