Can you see it

This is a 4 ton A-coil set up non adjustable expansion valve with external equalizer line IMO there is a engineering flaw in the design set up can you see it and would you have the intestinal fortitude to call it if you would have seen this.

BTW did you know the color of the sticker on the expansion valve denotes the type of freon the valve is designed for green=R-22

The odds of it ever happening are almost non-existing but if the expansion valve was visible and had a yellow sticker and the name plate data on the condensing unit stated R-22 would you have noticed this.

Come on guys this is basic refrigeration you are disappointing me, any HI worth his salt should be able to spot this problem.

Well, let me be the first to say that I don’t have the foggiest idea and I don’t work for salt so we’re good to go deferring…but always willing to learn something. :smiley:

The only thing I see is that the dynamic barometric overload compensator is positioned in such a way as to likely render it ineffective during a polyphase rendering occurance. It would certainly lose efficiency with that condition and I probably would have noted it in the report. I hope this doesn’t disappoint you. :mrgreen:

I saw that exact same thing, too. However, I thought that was too obvious for what he was looking for. :smiley:

Just a guess… would it have something to do with unequal pressure. Possibly a lower amount of r-22 going into the second set of coils, based on the ‘parallel’ set up of the line.

Jeff

Hi Mike that was really good LOL could not have stated it that well myself. I think it is just great that someone will just say I don’t know.
</IMG>

Hi Larry I don’t have any salt either. I am going somewhere with this just hang in there. This A-coil was out of my old furnace and I had to modified it to make it work back in 1991. For the Pic I un installed my modification what you are seeing is just the way it came from the factory.
</IMG>

I thought my second post would raise an eyebrow

10-4 chief, look forward to it.

Excessive corrosion, call out a HVAC guy to certify remaining life. :mrgreen:

Is that blue and green thingy the flux-capacitor???:wink:

Ok guys I am going to finger the problem tell me why it would be wrong

So how/why did it get there Charley?
I’s been operating like that?

Sorry I’m late to class Charlie! :slight_smile:
Can I play?

Not yet Dave, let’s see how long it takes for him to break and tell on himself :twisted:

Oh, okay…:blush: :humph:

Ok guys I have an early appointment so will post the answer. This coil came from the factory as you see it, the expansion valve sensing bulb was mounted between the two coils sensing only the temp from the first coil and when I installed in 91 I was unable to get a good superheat temp on start up.

I was always taught the bulb is suppose to be mounted on the outlet side of the coil within approximately 4 inches so I moved the bulb just down stream of the second coil and got the temp I was looking for. These sensing bulbs should always be insulated as they are suppose to only sense the temp of the freon within the suction line and can be effected by the temp of the air passing over them from the blower.

So as an HI if I have reason or cause to open the front of the A-coil box and there is an expansion valve in use I do pay attention to the proper mounting and insulation of the sensing bulb location.

oh ya

Charley, do you and or what do you think of HI’s doing a SH and SC as part of the inspection. I know, way beyond the scope and would required much more training. Just a thought.

www.mauihomeinspections.com

Mark as a HI I don’t check superheat way above what one needs to do. If one just has some basic A/C training and understands the flow pattern and what is happening to the state of freon in the various components of a system you can just use the old eyes and tell a lot about how a system is functioning. It does no good to look at a system if you don’t understand the basic theory. To many HI’ are scared to death to make any statements about a system and just simply defer. We are being paid as professional HI"S and are suppose to give an opinion on the full house electrical, plumbing, HVAC and structural to me that means I should know more about each system than the homeowner. Its all about education the more you know the more informed opinion you can provide to you client. Nuff said;-)
</IMG>

Charlie, I totally agree that we need more advanced education. You have a more intimate knowledge of HVAC’s than most inspectors and that is a definite advantage for your clients. Having that knowledge do you take additional steps beyond the scope, like determine the delta t, gas sniffers, sizing and removing more covers than the average inspector. And should we change the scope to ensure the removal of covers to provide a better inspection.
Thanks,

www.mauihomeinspections.com