I passed the State test, now what?

Hello, my name is Eddie Taylor and I recently passed the Illinois Home Inspector State exam so I can get licensed. I graduated from ICA not too long ago and I’m currently taking more courses through INTERNachi to further my education about inspecting homes. My question is pertaining to starting a business. I don’t know how to start. Do I apply for an Illinois business license first? Or do I send off for the home inspector license first and get the business license after? The problem I see with option 2 is the license will not be tied to the business or am I over thinking this?

IMO… No (Inspector) license, no business, unless you intend to hire all licensed inspectors and you sit in the office all day writing paychecks!

1 Like

:rofl::rofl:, understood

Eddie, you may want to take advantage of your Education Team at education@internachi.org for specific questions e.g. 15 Steps to Become a Successful Home Inspector - InterNACHI® and InterNACHI® Master Class for Home Inspectors .

And there is the Helpful How-To Videos - InterNACHI® for many other things. And the InterNACHI online education page: How do I navigate the InterNACHI online education page? | InterNACHI FAQ

3 Likes

What steps does Illinois licensing tell you to take? Do you need insurance? What kind? How much? Is it a separate business license or simply the home Inspector license? Have you registered for a business name?

1 Like

In Illinois all you need is a home inspector license. Nothing more. Except for $100,000 liability insurance

1 Like