I Said No To A Client! (This may help newer inspectors)

Hi Justin - Welcome to the board… I don’t want to be an English know-it-all but this could help you (sorry, if this was just a typo). Spelling and speech it’s Realtor - pronounced reel-tor. Inspectors (especially the ones on my company) mis-pronouncing the title of those we are begging for work is an absolute pet peeve of mine. It’s surprising how many times I hear this word spoken incorrectly… even by Realtors!

Again, welcome. There’s lots of great knowledge and help here.

2 Likes

I used to share a similar pet peeve … that being the common misconception that every real estate agent is a Realtor. Only about half of all licensed real estate agents in the U.S. are Realtors.

1 Like

I’ve been in business about 2 years. The scammers started on me the first month. They look for unsuspecting and slower companies to take advantage of. As soon as I tell them I have my own people to do sewer, mold, radon, etc, they stop replying

1 Like

I get at least 2 or 3 of these texts every month. Unfortunately, we live in a world where a great many people would rather text than actually talk to someone. The scammers send short messages with very little info, I delete those right away. A legitimate customer will send a long detailed text so I call them up as soon as possible. Only once has a customer told me they want to communicate by text only, so they have a record of our conversations. Chose your words wisely!
Two things new inspectors need to learn are how to communicate, you need to sell yourself not just the inspection, and second how not to waste time with all the shady people out there.

1 Like

I have had one or two of those over the years also.
I inform them that I don’t use texting for legal conversations, and am very happy to conduct business via email, which gives a very detailed thread of the conversation and all parties privy to the conversation.

I don’t think you can blame this on being a younger/ newer inspector. I get your pain of being new and only have a few inspections a month but the fact that you were going to cash the check even though it was over 3x your quote is, at the very least, naive. These scammers target us all pretty frequently and I have gone down that rabbit hole before but I stop once they ask to pay by check. I don’t accept check. I used that time to ask the seasoned home inspectors on here with interNACHI and got pretty good advice. I know it’s tempting because you are trying to get any inspection possible but it’s never worth your trouble and likely cause you a lot of it. A lot of these scammers want you to email them instead of text and never answer their phones. I don’t trust anyone I can verbally talk too.

I also work part-time as a home inspector. I work as a right-of-way municipality inspector full-time, a construction loan inspector by contract for multiple companies and an a breeder for golden retriever puppies. Needless to say I’m busy as well just on the business side. I would say this line of work doesn’t seem like a good fit for you. I made that choice as well recently for other reasons but if I were you I would focus on your other employment. Just my two cents. Wish you the best in the future.

3 Likes

We had something very similar. We got a text from a so called client to do an inspection in our home city a couple years ago. The client cooperated and wanted to send us a check in advance for more money than the inspection which sent the flags up. Seemed odd, since we had the home address, my partner and I went to the house, spoke with the owner who confirmed he wasn’t selling and knew nothing of an inspection. We stopped responding to the client and he went away trying to probably scam someone else.

1 Like

This one cracked me up. I love the “where are you” line at the end. :sweat_smile: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

I feel sorry for your customers if you speak to them with the same condescension and contempt that you spoke with a fellow home inspector. Dude is trying to get his business going and you’re just going to insult him? Trolling is what Facebook is for.

Truth hurts, doesn’t it?

Wow, talk about Trolling!..

Come back when you’re relevant!

Wow! You sure put me in my place. I need a safe space

In response to your question: “Truth hurts, doesn’t it” - I respond: you tell me? You seem to be the angry one.

I guess having to type with such “tiny hands” does that to a man (assuming “he, him” is your correct pronoun - forgive me for assuming).

In response to your comment: “Come back when you’re relevant.” I respond: No thanks, if relevance means being insulting and disrespectful to my peers.

I do need to thank you though. I was wondering where you went after Parks and Rec got cancelled.

1 Like

Hi Brian,

In order for a certified professional inspector (CPI) to show up in the Find an Inspector search feature, they must have at least one listing enabled via their dashboard under the section titled “Listings” (members can have up to 10 listings). Each listing is able to be turned on and off, in case there is a temporary change in their service location or they win the lottery and go on vacation for 6 weeks and wasn’t business calls to pause but resume after they are back.

It won’t stop the scammers or spam though; unfortunately that is a widespread and chronic problem.

2 Likes

I got this exact same text today! Crazy they are really going after inspectors. I have received several similar versions by text in the last week also. I always insist they call me directly and say that I wont pay other vendors in my replies and that usually stops the conversation.

1 Like

I have received several similar versions by text in the last week also. I always insist they call me directly and say that I wont pay other vendors in my replies and that usually stops the conversation.

1 Like

Good info, Kaela… :smile: :+1:

2 Likes

Good stuff…thank you.

3 Likes

Agree with your audiobook idea :slight_smile:

Scam!! I have received several of these text message. If I have time I play with them and lead them on unstill they ghost me.

1 Like