ICC Boot Camp Tampa

Richard,

In FL the average BI, (correctly BN), is performing between 30 and 45 inspections per day. That is why things are being missed. They are not paid well and only work 5 1/2 to 6 hours a day in the field. they require 1 hour of the morning for answering contractors questions from the day before inspections and 1 hour at the end of the day to render the days results.

They get 14 hours to maintain their licenses through the state and another 20 for their certificates. They are only allowed to take state approved provider classes. Not easy to qualify for in FL.

It is the new face of home inspection. In your area it has very little value. In the SE of Florida it is a must, whether you cite code or not. A very large number of home inspectors in the center of the state to the south end are code certified. How could not knowing more not be beneficial Richard? Would not this additional knowledge add to the value of your service? Would your clients not benefit from your knowledge? If you are doing new construction what are you doing? You cannot flush toilets and check receptacles in a new house that has not been CO’d? So what are you doing there? Telling them the studs look pretty?

Not required to be licensed. Not recommended, but not required.

Not true. While we are generalist we also derive a certain amount of our information because of code. You call out a missing GFCI don’t you? Missing reverse on a garage door don’t you? A leaking roof don’t you? Damaged equipment don’t you? These are all code issues. Just because you do not recognize them as code items does not mean they are not. Read the Florida Existing Building and Maintenance Codes. You must have learned the profession from someone? All those someones came from some code knowledge.

[/quote]
Go after the BI’s so Joe home owner will get a better product - He is paying a lot of $$ in some areas for crap
[/quote]

Easier said than done. They have sovereign immunity. Oh, and why would they want to listen to home inspectors. They have proved their competence by receiving their state licenses and maintaining the same, including insurances and testing. What have you as a Florida Home Inspector done? That is right, a great big nothing in the states eyes. Why would a Licensed Professional listen to an unlicensed home inspector? What does the unlicensed person have to back him up, or make the AHJ listen?

Richard,

How can you complete a phase inspection for new construction, when you don’t even know the minimum standard by which to inspect? That seems a little unbalanced, and not completely fair to the consumer. How will you know if something’s wrong, if you can’t even say what the minimum standard is and how it is specified in the code? Your client will have very little to stand on, when his/her inspector can’t site the reason for an item in a new building to be “wrong”. Builders and AHJ’s will challenge your report, you need to know what you’re reporting, and be able to back it up.

If you don’t want to learn the Building Code, that fine. Many inspectors share that point of view and are very successful in resale inspections. But reconsider your choice to offer new construction inspections until you acquire the basic knowledge necessary to accurately complete them for paying clients.

Dom.

Jeff

Real simple - I see a problem and he does not – I document the complete construction project – he does not – the builder (in most cases) likes me because I am part of his QC team – I am spending more time on site that a BI.

Just because I am there watching the builder (like the home buyer) he does watch the details.

Would you build a home without watching every nail and or have someone do it for you?? or would you count on the local BI??

It does not take a BI or a contractor to read a blue print or check for nail guards on studs over cables – just someone with a check list and a camera

rlb

Dom

Point well taken – many thing that an inspector will note at a phase inspection will be code related as well as a judgement call on workmanship

And I do agree that knowledge of what is correct and what is not does correspond to code BUT a good check list will cover a lot of the problems

I trust that good code people are probably like Jeff and Greg Bell and not working for the government. They can go on to a site and with a quick walk through build a punch list of code issues that will keep the local BI working for a week. BUT the local BI said that it was OK – end of story

My client gets the local BI for code issues and he gets me for workmanship, adherence to plans and documentation of the project.

Dom — Basic knowledge does not mean a ICC card in your pocket

rlb

Hello Richard,

Just so you know you are on my ignore list simply because I have never found anything that you say of use to me. The only reason I am answering you here is because some others have quoted what you said in their posts.

If you see no value in what we are offering then don’t come. No one is forcing anyone to attend our boot camp or to obtain ICC Certification. Everyone that has registered is showing that they have a desire to improve themselves and to improve our profession. I just don’t understand why you persist in trying to prevent others from improving their knowledge and credentials?

Why are you performing new construction phase inspections without any knowledge about codes? All I can say is God help your client because they sure are not getting what they are paying for. Good luck to you with that experience, maybe once you are done with it your opinion will change.

Greg

I try to let you know that you are on to a good thing but you are talking to the wrong people – The BI’s need your help – and there is $$ in it to those that need it

Perhaps a course on how to conduct a phase inspection is should be next on someones list.

God help the home buyer that does not use a HI or someone to do a phase inspection of a new construction. Would you live in one??

ICC is one thing but being a bastard for workmanship and a good inspector is something else. There many of us out their that can spot problem issues far better that someone who has passed a test.

Is your inspector blind??

Inspecting is also an ability to see problems that have been painted over etc.

With new construction it is very hard to cover up issues

rlb

e

Since I am on Greg’s ignore list I can write my thought and he will not see them or challenge them so here goes.

Greg like the rest of us likes to be on the top of the pile – He likes $$ like the rest of us. If he can get it from NACHI members not a problem and I agree esp if the services or products he offers are good

Good services are what we need

He is very opinionated on Florida licensing – He thinks that many should be ICC for some reason or another. while the TRUE qualification is not the certification but the knowledge of code.

I look forward for Greg to see the light and see that the true professional credential is not the certification but the knowledge of the proper way to build and inspect a home

That is what we are Home Inspectors – not certified code enforce officers

Boy am I glad that I am on G Bell bad list

rlb

Dick…You are right on. If Greg can make a million bucks helping others be successful, he is entitled to it. Those who think our vendors should be made into “second class” members](InterNACHI®️ Forum - InterNACHI®️ Forum - A community for home inspectors)are wrong, in my opinion.

Let’s wish him well in this endeavor and hope that others are inspired to pick up the flag and use seminars to educate HI’s all over the country.

One does not have to have credentials to state that another does not have them

A relative newbie teaching a class on how to pass an ICC exam is OK but remember that this person is a newbie

This is not bad

rlb

I look forward you you realizing that you can only have the knowledge you speak of through a reasonable understanding as to what the minimum basic requirements are in the code. Without code knowledge you have no business doing phase inspections. What if you were followed up by an inspector next year who had a thorough knowledge of code and your builder has screwed up. If you did not catch it, be prepared to pay for it!!

Good post Dom and Gregg*

Jeff

It was passed by the local BI – sue his gov agency and him/her

They are charged with the code part of the building NOT the HI doing phase inspections

Help me out here – Where does it say that the HI is a code inspector??

If we are better that the local BI – he can not see or over rule – also he is payed to do this service for the client

HI’s are payed for other services

rlb

rlb

Can’t. He has sovereign immunity.

That is partially what a phase inspection is. CODE

Where does it say we are NOT! Not in any FL law I know of since we don’t have one!!!

Lost me on this one.

True, and EVERY HI provides DIFFERENT SERVICES. Mine include Codes as part of my service. If you and I get the same call and I tell the client I will through in all the code cites, who do you think will get the job???

Question for you Richard. Why are you so against HI’s growing in the profession and bettering themselves?

Did you know most cities are looking to privatize the building inspection portion of government in FL. They are looking to our industry to fill that job.

Again, lead, follow, or get out of the way.