"Inspecting Tile Roofs" online video course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

Tiles: Tile type, composition and manufacturing seem to be the most critical issue in tile choice. Tiles have failed for a number of reason in the fast because it usually take several years to evaluate whether a new tile product is good or bad. Fiber cement tiles had incompatible constituent materials and therefore are no longer manufactured. Just the fact that its not advisable to walk a tile roof makes me glad to have a composition roof on my home.

Research & Writing Assignment:

Reverse mortgages: They are now harder to get because prospects have to go through an FA (financial assessment) which is the same process of suppling financial documents as a forward loan. You can get a payout in lump some cash, periodic payout, credit line. It can also be used as a reverse mortgage purchase where seniors may downsize their home to a smaller home, pay no mortgage payment in the future and put the difference in sale cash in the bank.

For this assignment I read the article, Mastering Roof Inspections: Tile Roofs, Part 6. The article went into a little more detail than the course on the installation practices for tile roofs. This was very informative and educated me a little more on the installation. I have never lived in an area where tile roofs are common so I really don’t have much experience with this type of roofing system. I actually worked for a roofing company while in high school and college and am very familiar with asphalt shingle but tiles were completely foreign, this article helped me better understand there function.

While the home inspector was inspecting roof it appeared there were shigles that were moving on the roof. Inspector slightly lifted the shingle and it appeared the bonding had live it life. Inspector recommends a roof inspector to evaluate the extent if any work that needs to occur

It is so important for a home inspector to thoroughly inspect a roof. Water infiltration thru a roof can be very damaging to a home therefore we need to ensure we are aware and also state in the report our findings and also take lots of pictures

The tile roof pictured appears to be in good shape. From the sample seen, it appears as though the clay roofing materials were properly installed and there is no apparent damage. There appears to be some vegetative matter on some of the tiles that can be addressed with routine maintenance. The ridge tiles also appear to be in good shape and installed properly. From the sample seen there appears to be no chipping or cracking and the flashing is in tacked.

Mastering Roof Inspections: Tile Roofs, Part 1.The information in this article is very helpful in understanding some of the benefits to tile and concrete roofs. A class A fire rating is very good if you live in an area prone to wild fires. Tile roofs have a good wind resistance which is good for those states that have hurricanes.

I am just beginning the tile roof course

Taking his course along with th inspecting roofs course. Originally in Michigan where tile roofs were very rare to South Florida where they are ubiquitous. Almost every aspect of construction here is vastly different.

Question on installing counter flashing in the mortar joints. What is holding it in place?
Is it just filled with Grout or Adhesive?

Good stuff.

Been interested in learning more about tile roof’s

This is my last course required for Florida state licensing. 4 mock inspections, the final final, and then the state exam. Then I’ll really find out what I know and don’t know. Already planning on brushing up on a couple of my weakest subjects, then getting more certifications.

1 Like

Have you found any training videos on tile roof inspections?

Jumping into this course now

I think you sent it to the wrong person sorry

Hello! Frank here and starting the course now.

I just finished the shingles course and ready to take this one

Does anybody know a secret to taking the “Inspecting Tile Roofs” course? Every time I tap the button to take the course I’m redirected to the fingerprint then I have to click the link to get here and it is a never ending circle. Thanks in advance!

Hello, everyone! Retaking the course and taking the final.