"Inspecting Tile Roofs" online video course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

The clay tile roof inspected in this picture, has been well maintained. the tiles are all laying flat, and in line with its course above. I observed no cracks or broken clay tiles and no water leaks were detected on the inside.

Research & Writing Assignment:

The article on Mastering Roof Inspections: Tile Roofs, Part 1, was very informative on to and what to look for when inspecting a clay tile roof. It also touch on and gave great examples on other Tiles that are used in the roofing industry.

Roof covering is concrete tile that appeared to be in good condition at the time of my inspection. No gap was left between stucco head wall finish and roof covering which may cause moisture absorption into stucco finish. No flashing observed at head wall. Recommend further evaluation by licensed roofing professional.

Correctly walking on tile roof surfaces, wether concrete or clay, requires a good knowledge of how these roof coverings are installed and certain tile characteristics. Simple missteps can cause significant damage to both the roof and to an inspectors reputation.

picture is of a lot of broken clay roof tiles. this roof is in need of major repair and will require a professional roofer to fix. roof is a hazard as the the the under layment is in bad condition and there is rout in the attic to the truss.

flat tile roof and arched roof tiles are different but uses the similar install procedure. start at eve of roof with a water drainage stater strip the puts the tiles at the same angle as the rest as they installed up the roof

As you can see, this tile looks like it could have recieved damage in a number of ways. To my first impression, it looks like it may have been stepped on, due to where the damage is. Under further evaluation, because the tile is near a valley, it may actually be damage caused by a hailstorm, seeing how that is not a regular tread area for that portion of the roof.

When inspecting a tile roof, you will find a variation between a few different profiles in the tile. Most will range from low, medium, to high profile roofs. Due to the inevitable of pests trying to enter the home, it is crucial to have a birdstop. This is a piece of material you can put under medium and high profile roofs to assure no vermin enter that area.

This image shows two skylights on a tile roof. Both skylights have flashing properly installed including counter flashing to discourage moisture collection. It does look as though moisture collection may be a problem at the bottom of the skylight where the flashing seems to recede.

The image shows a clay tile roof in good condition. There is no sign of damage from excess of weathering or manufacturing defects. All tiles are properly aligned, undamaged, And there are none that are missing, broken or otherwise unserviceable.

Upon inspection of this clay barrel tile roof, it appears to have no defects at the time of inspection. There were no broken tiles. The tiles appeared to be installed correctly with the interlocking mechanism and the correct bird cage installed at the ends. Roof appeared to be a few years old.

After reviewing the roof coverings section, its imperative to check the roof system as best as possible. This is one area that receives the majority of exposure from the elements. You should check from the roof top and if your not too comfortable walking on tile, use a latter.

There are so many different flashings on a roof. Each one of them although different is there to prevent moisture from entering the roof and inadvertently causing damage to the roof structure. Properly installed flashings are key to a great roof.

Inspection of this roof showed signs of water damage at or near the eaves in the back. The back roof is on a 3:12 slope. The drip edge was installed over top of the underlayment at the eave which let moisture enter in the exterior wall.

Attached is a photo of low profile Spanish style concrete roof tiles in my neighborhood. The roof is very attractive, it has multi dimensional features and levels, such as an architectural turret roof style to the left of the dwelling entrance. It also has a hip roof and valley at the gable end of the dwelling.

The IRC doesn’t give specific flashing details, it just says that flashing has to be corssion-resistant, and is installed in a manner that prevents moisture entry. Multiple methods can be used to install flashing correctly, so you won’t always be looking for one method, and calling everything else a defect.

I observed a section of the roof where I could see some pieces of broken tile. It’s unclear what caused the tiles to break. the roof is approximately 20 years old. I saw no evidence of water intrusion. Since the home is in a hurricane prone area of the country, I would advise my client to have the situation investigated by a licensed roofing professional.

I looked at the different ways tile is secured to the roof and the different tile shapes. In my area, most roofs appear to be tiled. I was interested in the different adhesives and nail techniques used. Most roofs I’ve observed have a few broken tiles present.

The electrical panel shown here has some rusting issues that is probably caused by the humidity in the room, there is no sign of water penetration. the electrical panel is also missing the legend on the panel as per code.

Solar energy is something that everyone who worries about the environment is very excited about. It’s potential is have the world be off the grid is very exciting.Raw materials are renewable and unlimited amount of of solar energy available is staggering.