1. How We Inspect: The inspection company STL Home Inspection Services LLC guarantees they will provide the client with a written report identifying the readily visible defects that the inspector both observed and deemed “material” as of the time and date of the inspection. In consideration of the fee paid and the services rendered, the client and inspection company agree that: The inspection company will perform a limited visual inspection of the major components and/or systems of the building at the address listed below; The inspection will be based upon limited observations that are visual & non- invasive; The inspection is not technically exhaustive; The inspection may offer additional comments as a courtesy, but these type of comments do not comprise the bargained-for-written-report; The inspection or report is only supplementary to the sellers disclosure. The client understands and agrees the limited visual inspection will not detect or report on many minor defects, cosmetic concerns obvious to a casual observer, or routine maintenance conditions, and if this type of inspection is desired, it is beyond the scope of a “Basic Inspection” and would require additional time and additional fee(s)
2. Scope of the Inspection: The client understands and agrees the inspection will be performed substantially in accordance to the…
International Association of Certified Home Inspectors
(Standards of Practice)
The customer may get a copy from the inspector or view the SOP online at
3. Inspection Does Not Include: Negotiating issues with the builder/owner/contractor; sewer lines and/or onsite waste disposal systems; water softeners; shower pans; over-flow drains; identification of Chinese drywall; low voltage electrical systems; backup generators, data and communications systems or other ancillary wiring that is not part of the primary electrical distribution system; lightening arrestors; any timing systems; water purification systems; well systems; solar heating systems; swimming pools; spas; fencing; playground or sports equipment; underground sprinkler systems; pressure tests on central air conditioner systems; furnace heat exchangers; radiant heating systems; portable appliances (including refrigerators, washers, dryers, etc.), carbon monoxide detectors. Inspection company will not inspect for any environmental issues such as lead paint, asbestos, radon gas (unless specifically requested), or drinking water quality. Inspection company will not address conditions relating to animals, pests, or rodents. EIFS siding systems are not inspected. No sampling or analysis of mold is conducted. Cosmetic features are excluded, including without limitation: paint; wall coverings; carpeting and other floor coverings; paneling; lawn; and landscaping. Inspection company will not inspect for building code compliance, soil analysis, adequacy of design, capacity, efficiency size, value, flood plain location, pollution or habitability. Inspection company will not attempt to identify recalled systems or components. Inspection company will not operate heating or cooling systems in temperatures that may cause damage to the unit (air conditioner systems will not be operated if the outside temp. is below 60 deg. F. heat pumps will not be operated in normal heat mode if the outside temp. is above 75 deg. F.). Inspection company will not inspect heat exchangers, boilers, etc. for cracks.
4. Limitation of Liability: The client understands and agrees that the liability of the inspection company or of its inspectors, employees, agents, sub-contractors, etc. for any type of claims or damages arising out of any dispute, controversy, error or omissions in the inspection or the report…
SHALL BE STRICTLY LIMITED TO THE COST OF THIS INSPECTION
This amount shall be deemed liquidated damages, and the client agrees to accept a “Refund of the Fee” as full settlement for any and all claims.
5. Technically Expansive Inspection: The client understands they may buy an inspection without “Limitation Of Liability” as provided for in Paragraph #5 above, by paying an extra fee and getting a “technically expansive inspection”. The technically expansive inspection report will be delivered to the customer within 20 working days after the inspection company has performed the “basic inspection” and then retained other specialists and performed any specialized testing or analysis. The “technically expansive inspection” fee is $2,750 or 1% of the Sales Price (whichever is more) plus the “Basic Inspection” fee. Stop here and do not sign if you choose to have a technically expansive inspection. Call or email inspection company for further details.
6. If We Have a Dispute:** In the event of a claim against the inspection company, the client agrees to supply the inspection company with the following: (1) Written notice of the adverse conditions in dispute, within 15 days of the discovery; (2) Three detailed and written estimates for any proposed remedial repairs and/or replacements, and their costs; (3) Access to the premises by the INSPECTION COMPANY or 3rd parties as frequently as we desire to re-examine the system or component in questions, prior to making any repair or altering the conditions (unless due to a life threatening situation). Clients failure to comply with the above conditions will release the inspection company, its employees, agents, or sub-contractors from any and all obligations or claims.
7. Further Evaluation: The client and inspection company agree that this report is for the sole benefit of the named client. Third parties that utilize the contents of this report for their own use, do so at their own risk, and assume all risks and liabilities of such action. If the client fails to get further evaluation or investigation of problems and/or conditions noted in the report, or fails to have further analysis or repairs recommended by the report, the client agrees to assume all responsibility and liability for such action.
8. Distribution of The Report: The report is copyrighted by the inspection company and is prepared exclusively for the client (unless directed otherwise). Reports may not be sold or traded to anyone. Client gives permission for inspection company to discuss report findings with real estate agents, owners, or contractors for the sake of clarification.
**9. Mediation Clause: **Client agrees that before filing suit against inspection company, the parties must submit to non-binding mediation, with each party to pay 1/2 the costs of the mediation. The mediation shall not last more than 8 hours.
10. Payment: The inspection company fee is based upon the age, condition and square footage of the home and is subject to correction. Inspection company reserves the right to charge an additional fee for homes in distress or cluttered; failure to notify the inspection company of such a property at the time of scheduling may result in the inspection being aborted and the customer will be responsible for a $125.00 travel fee. Payment is due at the time of the inspection. Cancellations with less than 48 hour notice will be billed in full. Cash or check is preferred. Credit Cards are accepted on site.
11. Access Panels/Locks/Utilities: The inspection company will not open gas or water valves, light pilot lights or gas appliances, activate electrical services that have been turned off, or cut locks open. The client is solely responsible for ensuring that all utilities are turned on, that breakers are turned on, that all water and fuel valves are open, that all pilot lights are lit, that all rooms and crawl spaces are unlocked, and that components such as attics and panel boxes are accessible prior to the inspection. Return visits because utilities were off, valves were off, pilot lights were not lit, or certain areas were locked or otherwise in-accessible will be subject to an additional travel fee at $125.00.
12. Generalist vs. Engineer /Licensed Specialist: Client understands that the inspection company does not perform engineering, architectural, plumbing, or any other job function requiring an occupational license in the jurisdiction where the inspection is taking place. Inspection company is not responsible to determine all that may be wrong with that system or component, and may advise that the system or component of the home be evaluated by a specialist such as (but not limited to) licensed electricians, HVAC techs, plumbers, foundation contractors or structural engineers.
13. Ancillary Inspections: Radon, Termite or Lateral Sewer Inspection by video (Includes DVD): If ordered, STL Radon performs Radon testing following EPA guidelines. Test takes 48 hours and reports are released on the next business day. In addition, as a courtesy, inspection company will arrange to have a state licensed termite control company and/or Lateral Sewer Scope company evaluate the property. Client holds inspection company harmless for services and reports rendered by 3rd party inspectors and will deal directly with third parties and their insurance in the event a problem related to the property arises from their independent inspection.
14. Property Entry and Accessibility: Client has obtained a right of entry by seller’s agent or seller to perform this inspection. Client understands it’s their responsibility to have all utilities on and all access panels accessible before the inspection takes place.
15. Your Personal Contact Information: Inspection Company has an affiliation with a Third Party Service Providers (TPSP) in order to offer value-added services to its clients. Inspection Company will arrange for the TPSP to send literature or make post-inspection contact by phone with its clients. If the client does not wish to receive literature from or be contracted by a TPSP, client must notify our office no later than 2 hours after your inspection takes place.
16. InterNACHI Buy Back Program: The inspection company is a member of a professional organization called InterNACHI. Visit them online at InterNACHI.org to learn more. InterNACHI has a limited liability program where in writing according to their website (InterNACHI.org/buy.htm) has agreed to buy back the home we inspected within 90 days or less from the day the client closed on the house for the price the client paid for it. See the full release at http://www.nachi.org/buy.htm. Fine print reads as follows.
- Honored for 90 days after closing.
- Valid for home inspections performed for home buyers by participating InterNACHI members.
- InterNACHI will pay you whatever price you paid for the home.
- Excludes homes with material defects not present at the time of the inspection, or not required to be inspected per InterNACHI’s Residential Standards of Practice.
Important: Client understands this offer is through InterNACHI only and that the inspection company WILL NOT any any time prior or after the closing transaction offer to buy back the home in the event InterNACHI denies your claim. Client holds inspection company harmless and agrees to deal directly with InterNACHI in the event the client wishes to file a buy back claim.
17. 90 Day Limited Repair Warranty Offer: The limited visual inspection conducted by the inspection company can help reduce the risks of ownership, but it will not eliminate the risks. The client understands and agrees the inspection company will not be able to observe every square inch of the structure; that the inspection company could fail to see or note a defect; and that defects may exist at the time of inspection that may not be detected by visual observation alone. Client understands and agrees that components or systems can break or malfunction at any point in time especially old equipment, and that repairs or replacements may be needed at any time in the future, including the day after the inspection. No home is perfect and the inspection company understands this. With that understanding the inspection company as a courtesy will sign the client up for a free limited repair warranty offered/executed by a 3rd party company called Residential Warranty Services based out of Indiana. Client understands that the warranty covers a limited number of components related to the home with strict exceptions. Client is highly advised to read full details about the warranty at http://www.stlhomeinspector.com/90day.pdf. If you cannot access the document through a internet connection please call the inspection company before the inspection takes place so we can send a copy by mail. Client holds inspection company harmless and agrees to deal directly with Residential Warranty Services in the event the client wishes to file a claim.
Tear me up Nick. My main concern is #17 right at this moment. I want to offer your buy back and the 90 day in the event my client doesn’t want to sell back to you. How would you do this? Thanks for your time.
STL Home Inspection Services LLC
Residential / Radon / Sewer / Thermal / Termite
Multi Inspector Firm
Serving: St. Louis and Surrounding