Inspector missed termite damage

How come MO is not on this list?

What’s up with California?

We can submit it to MO and CA as well if you like. InterNACHI’s courses get approved everywhere we submit them for approval. We generally seek only enough approvals to substantiate our claims that our course have been awarded more governmental accreditations than all other courses.

Being licensed is such a minimum standard that it’s much like being up to code in that if you did anything less it would be outright illegal. It should almost be called “down to code.” Anyway, being licensed in a state where, at a bare minimum you have to have a license… does not make you qualified to inspect. InterNACHI’s inspection courses do.

Non-members should not be offering inspection services to the general public… ever.

Nick & Billy …

In states like Missouri, Kansas and Indiana GROUPS other than a home inspector board approve WDI licensing education (termites among others). The home inspector boards, I would guess can approve them for home inspector CE but not for WDI licensure AND if your state requires WDI licensure thats the only valid factor.

So Billy I would guess that’s why Missouri is not on the list (no licensure for HI’s, so who would approve it).

Quick Question …

As home inspectors we’re supposed to enter attics if ready access is possible. But where I’m at (Kansas City) the Termite Inspector (WDI Company) has something in the recognized NPMA-33 report form that excludes this.

Unless there are walk-up stairs to the attic, I’ve NEVER seen a WDI inspector go into the attic.
Does Florida have that in their WDI forms.**

He had a bad day and has to pay dearly for it. I bet he will never do that again! There was enough evidence to flag the house for treatment outside of the attic. The attic damage belongs on the HI report though, unless he CLEARLY explained his limitations.
To those who say the attic could have been traversed, how do you know? You are looking at after the fact video. The attic may have been packed with stored crap. The sellers have moved, so it’s wide open now.
He made the news, so he’s f*&^%ed for a good long while.

What evidence do you base this on?

Yes, WDO down here.

Most (but not all) WDO inspectors look in the attics in these parts…

Dom.

Dom …

Totally different form than other worlds.

Home buyers, IMO, should never use a national franchise company to do their home inspection. Most of these HI’s do basic reporting, are inexperienced, are not familiar with the local area, take days to get the reports back to the buyer, and the fees go to their national office, who then redistribute monies to other companies, and a percentage back to the HI who did the actual inspection.

Any state class at any level only allows you do to a basic minimum standard inspection. This is why REA’s love state licensing. Most REA’s love ASHI inspectors for the same reason, as they contribute to lobbyists who favor REA associations, and create basic reports, all allowed by the HI laws.

REA’s across the county do not use InterNACHI inspectors, because we do a more thorough job. Same with WDI. Sad how it is all backwards in many states. It is always about the sale, not about what is in the best interest of the home buyer.

Termites enter buildings from the ground. They should be seen at the base of the building first, in sills, ledgers, joists, and frames before being seen in attics. Seeing termites in the attic tells me that termites have been in this home for many years.

Gary, again I ask you. What evidence to you base your opinions on National Franchises on?
Have you never heard of termites entering an attic from branches laying on a roof?
Stop bloviating and post something of substance. :roll:

I will not mention any company names. Just my personal experiences. Think what you may. Your area/company may be different. We have many tree trimming companies here that travel the streets to find trees in home owner yards that need trimmed. In thousands of inspections here in KC, I have never seen termites enter attics via tree limbs over roofs. Your area may vary.

Not all termites enter that way.

Check into drywood termites, they do not need (or have) ground contact to enter the structure, and are frequently found in attics.

I don’t know if they live in your part of the country, though.

Dom.