Well now I went and did it

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Doing this small home saturday, about 1000 sf. I got up the ladder into the attic with a heat index I swear was 450 in the shade. I got myself settled at the top of the scuttle door inside the attic, looked down to talk to my client, and the next thing I know my foot was going through the attic floor/garage ceiling. I still have not figured out how it fell through yet, because I don’t remember my foot moving. I was proud of myself for containing any words that came to mind since my client was almost directly underneath me.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Dave, tough luck, thats one of those things that we’ve all nearly done at some time. I slipped badly a few months ago and was staggered that I didn’t do any damage (thank god for lath and plaster !)

Stay safe

Gerry

BTW did you write up the ceiling damage ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

1/2 inch sheetrock ceiling (failed under testing) icon_wink.gif

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Hi Will, should read failed under tester icon_cool.gif

Gerry Beaumont

NACHI phone 484-429-5466

I thought real seriously about writing:

The ceiling between the garage and the attic is not complete. While this is a cosmetic item, it also is a serious fire hazard......

Come to find out though, the client drove down from Kansas City (3.5 miles), he was buying it as investment rental property. He got back to KC and found out he had been laid off that afternoon. Good thing I got my check while he was here.

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: Michael Zwerin

Dave,

Sorry to hear about the [embarassing] slip of events. Guess that's one of the reasons we carry GCL insurance huh?

As for the temperature in the attic, I feel for you. Here in south Florida, I swear the average attic (badly insulated and even worsely ventilated) the temps. regularly exceed 120 by mid-day. A very good reason for scheduling inspections in the morning hours...

Last week I did a house that the attic was so well-ventilated that being up there for an extended period was the same temp. as below in the garage. What a pleasant surprize that was. Usually, the attic is so hot that I can't bear it for more than say 5 minutes. Remember to have that face cloth and lots of drinking water near-by to finish those pesky attic inspections.

Be careful out there,
Michael

--
The objective, professional choice for Home Inspections in Palm Beach County is MTC. We provide honest, quick and complete real estate inspections. FREE Home Maintenance Guide with every paid inspection. 5% Internet DISCOUNT.

Originally Posted By: nstone

I am a new home inspector and was wondering how you handled this with your client? Did you offer to repair and if this is something we can repair should we offer to do it? icon_question.gif

Here in Texas as we are FORBIDDEN to work on any house that we inspect I would say: Offer to have a Licensed Professional do the work.

If it is something that broke because of carelessness, accept the responsibility and pay for your mistakes.

If it is something that failed under testing; i.e. , a faucet that comes off in your hand, it’s not your fault. The problem lies with the homeowner for not doing general maintenence.

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Neal, this is something that I could fix - HOWEVER, the PR that I will get for having it PROFESSIONALLY fixed right away is worth it. Even if the people involved remember it later, they will remember that I got it fixed, not I tried to fix it myself, but…

Dave Bush

MAB Member

Originally Posted By: nstone

yes indeed and a very good point I will remember. Thankyou. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: ltrower

Dave,

I have been trying to figure out how to do attic inspection here in Oklahoma. They told us un school not to even consider doing that in the summer heat we have. Most of the attics are over 125. Does anyone have an idea???

Lee Trower

I would say that it would depend on the inspector and his/her own capibilities.

I used to cook in a truck stop kitchen that was 120 all the time.

If you can do it then do it. icon_wink.gif

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Lee, I just basically “suck it up and do it”. I work inside for a while first, then I do the attic, and then I cool off in the house for a while, then I crawl through the crawl space.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

Hi Lee, I am in the same camp as Dave, it just goes with the teritory frankly I am worried that a training school are teaching not to go in there above 125 who said that ? the liabilities you would leave yourself open to buy excluding going in because it’s too hot don’t bare thinking about. Dress light and carry alot of ice water.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: Michael Zwerin

Ditto! Can’t imagine not inspecting an attic. Regardless of the temp up there, if you can safely access any or all of the attic, you just gotta do it. Further, there may be multiple attic accessways, check them all!

Imagine this, the outside of the roof appears OK, but you skip the attic inspection and later the new homeowner finds broken rafters, a rat's nest, etc. etc. that all should have been seen in your inspection. What's that homeowner likely to do regarding your incomplete visual property review?

Just my 2 cents worth...

--
The objective, professional choice for Home Inspections in Palm Beach County is MTC. We provide honest, quick and complete real estate inspections. FREE Home Maintenance Guide with every paid inspection. 5% Internet DISCOUNT.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: ltrower

Gentleman, I thank each and all of you for your advice. I guess another way to look at it is fat is supposed to melt with heat and I could stand to loose about 30 lbs. I totally agree there are to many things that could be missed by not going up there.

Lee Trower

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_exclaim.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: jremas

Igor has built in protection if he falls. When he comes out of the attic and his clothes are soaking wet, his hair is never out of place. Kind of like a built in helmet to protect his head. I once saw him hit his head on a truss in the attic and the truss broke. Once again, the hair was not out of place.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598