Insulation around the chimney

Doing a Thermal Scan last night and walked by the furnace and got a question in my head. Is the insulation allowed to be stuffed all around the chimney???

Your thoughts. 3 year old house

019.JPG

Thanks
Lawrence

Hey Lawerence;

Vertical Checklist

Although the part numbers vary from manufacturer to manufacturer the components stay the same. Reference the list below to ensure you have the correct pieces for your installation.
Thru-Ceiling Installation

http://www.ventingpipe.com/images/transitionconnection.jpg

**Component ****Where used **Notes
Ceiling Adapter First Room Adapter for ceiling support box

Ceiling Support Passing thru 1st Ceiling
Box
Passing thru 1st Ceiling Requires an adapter to connect

Attic Shield
Passing thru attic space
Required to give insulation clearance

Firestop
Passing thru 2nd floor
Adds clearance/stability

Roof Flashing
Above the Roof
Seals homefrom moisture

Storm Collar
above the Roof,on flashing
Seals flashing form moisture

Roof Brace
Above the Roof
Adds horizontal support

Vertical Cap
Last Piece
Stops sparks/flash from igniting roof

Optional

Elbow Strap
In any offset
Used to support pipe between elbows

Elbow
Bypassing offsets
Use incombinations with rigid pipe

Adj. Roof Support
used in Cathedral Ceilings
provides support when transitioning

*Remember to also check your owners’ manual and the vent pipe manufacturers’ instructions for specific part numbers.

Horizontal Checklist

Although the part numbers vary from manufacturer to manufacturer the components stay the same. Reference the list below to ensure you have the correct pieces for your installation.
Thru-Wall Installation

http://www.ventingpipe.com/images/Thruwall.jpg

**Component **
**Where used **
Notes

Stove Adapter
On appliace flue collar
Used to connect pipe to appliance
Wall Thimble
Passing thru a wall
Provides mandatory clearance to joists
Tee Support Bracket
Outside of wall
Prodives vertical support
Tee
outsie of wall
Horizontal to Vertical transition and provides external cleaning access.

Optional

Elbow Strap
In any offset
Used to support pipe between elbows

Elbow
Bypassing offsets
Use incombinations with rigid pipe

Adj. Roof Support
used in Cathedral Ceilings
Provides support when transitioning

Horizontal Cap
Outside Wall - Termination
Pellet Vent/Direct-Vent Only

Hope this helps

Marel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :smiley:

The short answer would be no. It’s not okay. :wink:

Hey Jeff;

I think that what I said didn’t I. ha. ha.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley: :wink: :wink:

Sorry;

I forgot to talk about the PVC pipe and the brutal obstruction of that poor 2"x4". ha. ha.

But that would be page two. :slight_smile:

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Thanks for the info. Just what I thought. So how does this get missed with the city inspectors? This is just beside the door going into the furnace room. So close it jumped out at me.

A good reason to get another inspection done.

Thanks
Lawrence

Just talked with a wood stove installer about another issue and he said there is an insulation out that is approved to wrap the chimney in these cases. He did not know if it was approved for gas but did not see why not. Wood gets hotter than gas. Just something else to look for now.

Lawrence

I must be going blind here Marcel…I cant see any obstruction of the 2X4, but I can see some destruction:mrgreen:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Speaking of 2X4, is that chimney pipe rated for “0” Clearance?

I will try to read the label when I deliver the report next week.

Lawrence

That’s just fine. But there’s no B-vent (that I’m aware of) that is listed to be in contact with, or wrapped with insulation of any sort.

I nailed this one yesterday someone is going to have a lot of fun removing that insulation need to have wings

Bad photo etiquette…Your foot is in the picture, now they’ll blame you for it. :stuck_out_tongue: LOL

I’m sure someone will get in there with one of these, grab the insulation and get rid of it, instead of placing it back where it belongs.

Was your wood stove installer WETT certified. If he was, he should retrain on this topic. For manufacturered chimneys, follow the manufacturer’s instructions. With Class A (ULC Standard S604-oil, gas and some special wood appliances) and chimneys approved for most wood burning appliances (ULC Standard S629), it is standard that 2 inches to combustibles be maintained and no insulation be installed around them. They make a special attic radiation (insulation) shield to keep the insulation from being installed against the chimney.

If you’re in an area where there’s a bit of wood burning, consider WETT certification…the course is an eye opener…even for certified masons!!!

Brian

He is WETT certified and a head of knowledge. This is something that is new. He has only done one install with it and likes it. He is also going to see if it can be used on gas chimneys. I will update if I find out more.

Lawrence

I agree. I know of no B’vent/Double-Wall flue vent material(s) rated for less than 1" clearance, running Horiz. or Vert., through any combustible materials.

I see insulation like that shown, in framed chases all the time. I also see those same chases with no firestops between floors as well.

In my area I see these oversites as ignorance and/or laziness on the part of our local housing inspectors, and have discussed it with a few that I’m friendly with. We’re still friends.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19666&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1205885411

Forgot to mention this the other day. That first picture is one of the largest open top chimney chases I have seen in years. A great path for exfiltrating air plus heat movement through wallboard and convecting cool/cold air dropping while warm air rises…all in one little space. Depending on size of house, this could be 5-15-20% of heat loss from the dwelling!!! Hope you recommended an insulated, airtight, safe ceiling infill for this area.