Insulation - Is dusty

Originally Posted By: Craig Shap
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I seem to remember reading that if insulation that is disclored possibly due to dust deposits then there is are circulating inside the attic.

This particular attic is vented with 1 gable powered vent, ridge vent and soffit venting. The pink Batts of insultaion on the knee and interior walls are darkend in color... I am not sure if this is a concern for inadequate ventilation or not?

What is your opinion? I have attached 1 pic.

[ Image: Insulation ]

--
CAS Atl GA.
The Hometeam Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Dust.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Did the attic have approximately 1 square foot of ventilation for every 150 square feet of floor space? If so it is properly ventilated.

Blaine - So there is a good chance since there was not enough ventilation then the insulation would accumulate this dust?

CAS Atl GA.

Originally Posted By: Guest

Exfiltration of moisture laden interior air frequently leaves the tell tale accumulation of dust in your photo. If the space isn’t properly vented, call the venting problem and be proud of yourself for recognizing the symptom. Good call.

Chad - This is a new problem to me - Pardon my inexperiene on reporting - I am calling it out and glad to have recognized such a problem, but How, icon_idea.gif what would you recommend as a solution to the problem?

CAS Atl GA.

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Chad Fabry wrote:
Exfiltration of moisture laden interior air frequently leaves the tell tale accumulation of dust in your photo.

Saw this the other day. Attic floor insulation almost black from moist, dirty air. Other tell tale signs such as rusted nail tips thru the sheathing, insulation covering soffits vents and small roof vents (older home) were all there too. Besides addressing the ventilation problem, I always report that the insulation needs to be replaced if in fact it is wet.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect Inc.

Craig,

Blaine already said it... 1 square foot for each 150 feet square feet of floor space. Don't mix gable vents with soffit to ridge vents. One or the other.

Craig,

I usually suggest to clients to clear the soffit vent area and add extra roof ventilation. Depending on the situation I may reccommend ridge ventilation if there are no gables, t-stat controlled fans.

Erol

Didn’t read Chad’s post… icon_redface.gif

Erol

icon_lol.gif I am so glad I brought this topic up I beleive I can confidently handle the recourse of action from here…

Thanks fellas for the great feedback.

--
CAS Atl GA.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Craig,

I believe I see a whole house fan inside that area, Right?

If so, that's the culprit. The fans' circulation of air is causing this browning.
![](upload://whFN55WW63aNzLg7r432MMrOk7g.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

The fan probably would contribute by keeping dust airborne, but the shadow lines near the edges of the insulation near the studs indicate that air is moving past the insulation into the stud cavity or through the wall. Unfaced fiberglass isn’t a good air barrier and trying to fit it well into cavities to the studs takes time. The installer of those batts didn’t "fluff’ the edges leaving them compressed. Air is leaking there and that’s why the edges are darker.