Is a missing sediment trap a "safety hazard"?

I’ve read through numerous discussion threads and understand the differences between “drip legs” and “sediment traps”. I also realize that some jurisdictions have different rules regarding these. So when you’re in a jurisdiction that requires sediment traps in gas lines, is it considered a SAFETY HAZARD if it is missing, or simply a defect that that is recommended for correction?

^^^^^^^^^^This, IMHO.

1 Like

The answer is it depends, it could be… but so could be many other things we wouldn’t normally call out as “safety hazard”. In my opinion, the chance of it being a safety hazard is so small that I wouldn’t label it as such. You could mention it as potential safety concern under rare circumstances, but I wouldn’t make a stink about it.

1 Like

Morning, Robert.
Hope this post finds you well.
Getting out of bed is a safety hazards, no pun intended.

1: Basically, we are not AHJ, unless you wish to ad needless liability.

2: A sediment trap acts preventatively. One does not predict future failure.

As you know, sediment traps are installed to collect sediment, rust, or debris in a gas piping systems. Sediments can clog gas appliance burners and cause a malfunction.
Personally, I would not classify the lack of a sediment trap as a safety hazard but rather a missing component on the gas line serving the appliance.

An immediate safety hazard would be, because we do not predict failure, elevated CO2 levels, leaking NG is non-toxic (non-poisonous), but can cause death by suffocation.

Just my two cents.
Hope that helps.
Robert

1 Like