Is charging 25 cents per square foot a good rate?

25 cents per square foot. Extra 100 dollars for every decade over 20 years old. What do you guys think? Is this good pricing for a new person starting out?

We charge $0.17 per square foot on homes over 4,000sf. Everything below that is on a scale that starts at $400 for anything below 1500sf and goes up $25 per 500sf. at 100 years of age we add on $50. At the prices you are wanting to do, I think you will price yourself out of the market. You need to shop the major inspector firms in your area and see what they are are doing and match or go in the middle if you are just starting out.

2 Likes

Depends on your market. Call at least six of your competitors and see what they charge for similar services. Place your pricing at the mid range + 10%.

1 Like

Thank you. How many inspections do you typically do per week/month?

Really? This question again. Sheesh.

5 Likes

We do enough to keep two inspectors busy.

I’ve never asked this.

Good for you!

Short memory

2 Likes

He’s back. A nonmember guest wanting to ask members how much they charge per inspection and how many do they do a week.

He’s grilled members on this forum over and over and over and over.

In case you haven’t figured it out every market is different. You can ask whatever you want however when you’re competing against home inspectors with experience in the industry what do you have to compare to it? I don’t think people are going to consider Uber eats delivery guy very helpful with their home investment. You may be better off tagging along with a inspector for a while until you learn the business.

5 Likes

No one wants to “not help you”

But we all see from a mile away this is ass backwards.

You are asking a multi-country organization across many markets generalized questions and trying to apply it to your career choice.

Some inspectors are busy as hell right now and others are hand to mouth. So many variables that none of the answers will be helpful to you other than this one.

6 Likes

Jacob, Pricing Strategy is a balancing act. How about 1 Cubic Centimeter of French perfume for US $75 and a whole Liter of gasoline for just under $1. No one will be able to convince me that it takes more to prepare a perfume that to extract and refine crude oil to make gasoline. Therefore, price of goods and services are very subjective.

You can go over all the sophisticated calculations to set your inspection price tag, square footage, age of the dwelling, number of rooms, etc., but at the end, it will be the “market” trends what will determine your final price.

So… You start with a base price for a standard single family home under 2,000 square foot. Set a NUMBER that will make you feel comfortable and that will give you a general sense of value for your work. Let’s say $400. Then you complete your base pricing table offering a Townhouse for $350, a large rancher with 2 garages for $450. Continue adding scenarios like a large estate house priced at $1,250,000 for $750.

Please! Do not give away your services…! You can make “exceptions” for a recurrent Realtor or Client… or you make have a soft heart :purple_heart: with a struggling low income buyer… Always present your FULL price and if the specific situation demands it, then offer a ‘discounted rate’, but make sure everyone understand that your service is worth $400 and UP… and you are willing to come under that BAR for a good reason.

1 Like

How many different ways can you ask the same questions…

3 Likes

is this the grub hub driver AGAIN!!!

5 Likes

3 Likes

6 Likes

Me, after I find out my mobile inspection fell through…

1 Like

Me knowing a Grub Hub driver may be my competition :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Brutal!! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah maybe it will put the how much do you make and how many inspections do you do to bed.

2 Likes