Is this reflection damage? Shall we call in the experts?

@bhull1 Here is another case study for you? Get your calculator and google earth ready! I am calling this window reflection damage unless you talk me out of it. :laughing:
(for the record, it seems I keep finding this more often)

4 Likes

2 questions Brian: What’s the vent below the damaged siding for? Is there a gas fireplace behind that wall?

3 Likes

Yes, make up air for a gas starter, wood burning insert.

Funny you mention this. This is an exact replica of a similar “case study” from some time ago.

I was thinking, as I suspect you are…do not rule out a fireplace problem.

7 Likes

IMO… Yes!!
Most inspectors have a tendency to overthink these things!!

5 Likes

https://forum.nachi.org/t/melted-vinyl-siding-above-inlet/195402

3 Likes

It does look like reflection damage. I just wonder why the corner trim doesn’t show any signs of melting, then again vinyl siding does weird stuff sometimes.

Let’s see if the angle of the dangle and the GPS coordinates agree with each other. :wink::roll_eyes::laughing: Don’t rule out option B just yet…

2 Likes

@jjonas I am not sure how you found that post. I am almost afraid to look at it, that was a long night.

3 Likes

I was just thinking about that very thread JJ. :thinking::+1:

3 Likes

I was thinking of it too when I posted this one. My post tonight is a bit of a “tongue and cheek” post to remind us.

3 Likes

Gotta be honest… with this new forum system we’ve had these last few years (aka… sux!!), there is a bit of LUCK involved!! Really makes it difficult with the Title names that most use. Total crap with no searchable keywords.
As for the included info, there is a LOT of great info, if one bothers to pay attention to what is being offered, and keeps an open mind and not be swayed by personal opinions regarding who is contributing the info. :wink:

4 Likes

And just another quick point… many times we see this damage on chimney chases. IMO, the only real connection is that they jut out from the wall and make it a better target for the reflective solar energy to hit it. Rarely is the chimney itself the cause of the damage.

6 Likes

Hell, I was part of the problem. I was very skeptical of the reflection issue. But, my skepticism paid off in the end. We got to the bottom of it.

Here is my narrative, maybe we can pick on it a bit, LOL

Rear chimney chase, the vinyl siding had some heat type damage consistent with window/sun reflection damage. Replacement of the damage piece does not cure the problem. The problem will return with sun exposure.

2 Likes

Not always. Generally speaking, a Premium Quality vinyl product is less likely to experience this issue. From the times I’ve seen it, it was usually the cheap arse, thin, contractor grade (or thinner) crapola that goes all to hell.

8 Likes

Okay, good point.

Rear chimney chase, the vinyl siding had some heat type damage consistent with window/sun reflection damage. Replacement of the damage piece with a piece of crap cheap vinyl will not cure the problem. The problem will return with sun exposure.

5 Likes

Slightly off topic but this reminded me of a job I did a couple summers back… Contractor backed me in next to a house to get to the patio they were replacing. The exhaust from the stack melted all of the vinyl siding off of the gable and soffits. Home owner was Pretty PISSED. LOLOL. When I told the head shop mechanic about it, he promptly rotated the tip section so something like that wouldn’t happen again. LOL.

3 Likes

Perfect!!! :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Good stuff.

2 Likes

My second inspection, I landed a big 7,000 square foot home with this beautiful white brick driveway.

I brought along help because I was over my head. The seasoned help parked on the street. I whipped into that driveway with an old ford I had been limping along for years. Hopped out and went to work and never looked back.

Until I was backing out of the driveway, my ford had leaked power steering fluid onto that immaculate white brick…made a stain the size of a cowboy hat. I have not parked in a driveway since.

5 Likes

Clearly a valuable lesson learned. My SUV doesn’t leak anything but with my luck sometimes, it probably would if I pulled into someone’s driveway for an inspection. I always park on the street myself… just in case…

3 Likes

Good call, Brian. I think you nailed it!

3 Likes