Is vent needed incase of gas leak?

Originally Posted By: Bob Curry
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

When a high efficiency furnace is installed in an ‘air tight’ closet shouldn’t there be an air source provided to allow gas to escape if leak occurs (occurs similar to the old style upper vent for combustion air)?

Originally Posted By: ekartal

I don’t believe so. It’s a sealed system.

Erol

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

If there were a vent to allow the gas to escape (in case of a breach) it would have to vent to the outside. The total efficiency (including off cycle losses) would be lowered. If your concerned about it, It would be better to just install a gas alarm than a vent.

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: Bob Curry

Thanks for the response to my question. I think that I am either misunderstanding the answers or didn?t phrase the question properly. The gas that I am referring to is not the products of combustion generated during the operation of the furnace, it is the ?natural gas ?supplied as the fuel to a gas burning, forced air, high efficiency furnace. The source of a leak could be at the valves or supply connections, etc., does that make a difference? My concern is that if a leak occurred that gas would be trapped inside the closet due to it’s air tight characteristics.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Bob, that’s how I understood the original post.

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !