Jumping in with a 6 unit Air BNB. Suggestions?

Heading to the Commercial Inspection Class in February. Too late for the call that I just got.

A 6 unit Air BNB, configured like a motel. No lobby manager, just self serve to get your room. All unit are a 80’s style bedroom with individual HVAC and bathrooms. There is one suite with a kitchenette and a jacuzzi. It is log built with a metal roof. Supposedly refurbish in 2020

The client wants a “Home Style” inspection. She sounded to be in a hurry and closing in February. She did not know square foot or any other particulars This is in the middle of nowhere Utah and my competition generally does not go to this area. I already passed up a motel 2 years ago due to lack of knowledge. Don’t want to loose this one.

I am anticipating $400 per unit and call it a learning experience.

I’ve already passed the CCPIA Cert, but she doesn’t sound like the typical commercial buyer and want me to get dirty like a regular home inspection.

Any suggestions?

Brian Cawhern @bcawhern1 may be able to help you on this. He and I did a 12 unit motel a little over a year ago that was being converted into ABNB like yours. Brian took the lead and did the report while I just assisted with the inspection.

2 Likes

What exactly does that means in the form of a “SCOPE” for the inspection?
The Client needs to be specific defining the “Home Style” inspection she ‘wants’.
Like it or not, this is a Commercial Property, not a home inspection.
If she can’t accept that, then you should be passing on this one also.

2 Likes

Interesting in that it was/is similar to what our client said in the motel inspection I mentioned above. The client initially contacted me and asked about the inspection on the property. I was referred to him by someone that worked for the county. He stated that his company usually uses home inspectors on their projects because they are usually small roadside motel/hotels with a limited number of units.

They buy them, refurbish and update them, then rent rooms through ABNB. Apparently they are doing very well with this venture.

That said, I did tell him that I would prefer to bring in a commercial inspector for various reasons. I put him in contact with Brian and deal was sealed.

3 Likes

Small time investors taking the cheap way out. CCPIA is destroying the commercial inspection industry!
Remember… “over 4 units” in most states dictates it being a commercial property, even if being used as residential!

2 Likes

Is it that, or do they want it looked at with more an eye of “livability” that goes along with a home inspection, where that isn’t always the case with commercial inspectors?

Very true, although GA being an unregulated state, anyone can “inspect” almost anything…

6 Likes

Is it occupied? Sounds like a situation (no property manager onsite) where entering occupied rooms will not be feasible. Be sure to include no return trip due to occupied rooms in your agreement. Square footage matters, look it up if you can. Set up a template with “units” you can copy within the report and do common areas in another area of the report.

2 Likes

Sounds to me like a cluster f**k. I make sure the building owner contacts all the tenants and provides the keys or someone be there with keys. I don’t come back, one trip only. The buyer doesn’t determine how I do the inspection or how to classify. Be sure your contract is clear and signed.

2 Likes

I’ll be honest, I got caught off guard and did not explain a commercial inspection adequately.

I think it is someone with stars in their eyes and want to close quick. Honestly, I had stars in my eyes too. But I need to slow down and adequately explain a commercial inspection with her.

Agreed. It is a one horse tourist town. I still need to be professional here no matter how big it is.

Admittedly, I got carried away. I’m putting the brakes on and approaching this in a more professional manner. If another inspector takes it, so be it. This is one of those areas that other inspectors don’t like to go because of the distance. If they pay the mileage, Ill go.

Thanks for smacking me on the forehead with bits of reality.

1 Like