Lawyers and granite countertops

Granite Countertops Source of Dangerous Radon Emissions

Please click here for a free evaluation of your case
Radon, the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking, may be leaking from your countertops, if you have granite. According to recent news reports, more and more concerned consumers and radon inspectors are contacting the environmental protection agency with radon measurements several times higher than those considered to be acceptable background levels. The radon is emanating from the granite.

Researchers currently studying the most commonly used granite in kitchen countertops have found that all the 55 samples they’ve tested emit radon radiation at higher than background levels. The samples were collected from US fabricators and wholesalers.

Radon is a radioactive gas that naturally occurs from traces of uranium in soil and rock. It can be found at varying levels around the world. In outdoor air, radon is present in low concentrations. However, in indoor air or enclosed spaces, radon can pose a long-term health risk because the levels can increase.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has stated that homeowners need to be concerned if the radon gas levels in their homes exceed 4 picocuries per litre of air. Some granite countertops do in fact let off far more than that with reports as high as 100 picocuries per litre. Consequently, the U.S. Surgeon General and EPA recommend that all homes be tested.

Following that advice, four counties in central Nebraska recently sent out test kits to its residents. Amazingly, 75 percent of the homes in those locations were found to have radon levels higher than 4 picocuries per liter. In Adams County the average level was nearly 9 picocuries, considerably higher than levels considered safe.
**The Risk of Living with Radon **

As radon gas decays it turns into radioactive particles that can get trapped in the lungs just from breathing. As the particles continue to break down, they release small bursts of energy. This can damage lung tissue and lead to lung cancer over the course of your lifetime. The amount of time between exposure and the onset of the disease may be many years.

Like other environmental pollutants, there is some uncertainty about the magnitude of radon health risks. However, the EPA states that they know more about radon risks than risks from most other cancer-causing substances, because estimates of radon risks are based on studies of cancer in humans, specifically underground miners. “Scientists are more certain about risks from radon than risks from most other cancer-causing substances,” they state.
**Exposure to Radon And Lung Cancer **

According to the EPA, “Lung cancer kills thousands of Americans every year. Smoking, radon, and secondhand smoke are the leading causes of lung cancer. Although lung cancer can be treated, the survival rate is one of the lowest for those with cancer. From the time of diagnosis, between 11 and 15 percent of those afflicted will live beyond five years, depending upon demographic factors. In many cases lung cancer can be prevented; this is especially true for radon.” Radon exposure is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.

Granite Countertop Radon Emissions Legal Help

If you or a loved one has suffered ill health effects, injury or damages from radon exposure, please click the link below to send your complaint to a lawyer to evaluate your claim at no cost or obligation.
Please click here for a free evaluation of your case

That didn’t take long next they’ll be going after these guys with an add

“Is your home stoned?”

Thanks to whoever posted this picture

And that is the perfect letter to scare the heck out of everyone.

No wonder everyone that’s tasted refers to my bride’s meals as KILLER

we have a set similar to these

http://madeingranite.com/pics_folder/decorative/granite_dinner_service.jpg

Those @ss holes are in worse shape than HI’s for business!

Hi to all,

when I read the topic line I thiught this was going to be a discussion on the subject of how big a piece of the later should be dropped on the former :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Regards

Gerry

Freaking BUZZARDS…countertop chasers now, unreal—:twisted:
%between%

I can’t believe these Bozo’s to push this BS…

"…Like other environmental pollutants, there is some uncertainty about the magnitude of radon health risks. OK, so how about we don’t scare people til we really do know?
However, the EPA states that they know more about radon risks than risks from most other cancer-causing substances, because estimates of radon risks are based on studies of cancer in humans, specifically underground miners.OK, nothing like a heavily slanted, small number study from yesteryear…sheesh, again, how about a recent study using a LARGE number of participants, on a wide-scale environment?

So that I have this straight, Radon is/are supposedly particulate in matter, correct? i.e. particles that could lodge in your lungs, to supposedly cause cancer…

And don’t they polish, grind and seal the countertops to guard against staining?

so where do they think they are picking up these radon particles from?

Sounds like junk science to me, used by ambulance chasers, being foisted upon an unaware public… :roll:

Who are they going to sue? God!?

Radon is everywhere!
Maybe that’s why we don’t live to be 200!

Where’s Michael Larson when you need him to deny all the junk science that’s floating around???

Who can you believe??

Why are so many HI’s testing for radon if it’s not a problem? Just ripping off the uneducated public??

So many questions…not many answers!!

Who says it’s not a problem?

The problem is lawyers trying to get rich bacause there is radon in stone that is in your house. There has been issues with rock fireplaces too. Who were they suing then?

Barry tell me that’s trick photography lol :shock: :mrgreen:

lol…I’m right here. :cool:

Are you claiming Radon from Granite countertops is dangerous Brian?

I haven’t commented as the thread is about lawyers seeking participants in a class action suit.

You know the drill

Lawyers seek clients who claim harm.

Lawyers get the suit declared a class action.

Lawyers win a judgment in court from anyone with deep pockets.

Lawyers and law firms pocket the lions share of the proceeds for legal expanses and their “share” of the litigation lottery.

We’'ve been here many times,

Remember the tobacco settlement?

Breast implants?

____________?

Radon is out there. It’s just is like UV from sunlight. It exists in our environment.

What the appropriate actions levels for indoor Radon gas exposure should be is more than a little tough to nail down since no level of radiation decay products from Radon is considered “safe”

As I recall the standard for mitigation recommendation isn’t even the same between Canada and the USA.

Of course you being the expert and all I’m sure you have a opinion, eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

They got a lot of money??

Nope part of the original landscape that they incorporated and built around…if it wasn’t from a fellow member it was on IN (the other MB) not to be confused with the other white meat :twisted:

Thread was titled Inferior Decorators or something catchy like that…

Hey, it might really be the same as yours on this topic!! You never know!!

Wasn’t Canada’s recommended action level recently changed?

The action level in the USA according to the EPA is 4 piC/l.

What is Canada’s?

edited:

Found it,

**This updated guideline( used to be 800 Bq/m³)
**provides advice that is more broadly applicable and more protective
than the previous FPTRPC guideline.
The Minister recommends that:
Remedial measures should be undertaken in a
dwelling whenever the average annual radon
concentration exceeds 200 Bq/m³ in the normal
occupancy area. (Ed.: This is ~5.4 piC/l, the US
remedial action level is 4.0 piC/l.)

• The higher the radon concentration, the sooner
remedial measures should be undertaken.
• When remedial action is taken, the radon level
should be reduced to a value as low as practicable