Layers of roof

:):):slight_smile:

Why that thar is Kentucky sheathing! Metal is allowed to be fastened to sheathing.

Next… :mrgreen:

People do things all the time and break the law. Not pulling a permit is no exception. The permit police can’t be at everyones house all the time. In rural areas you can’t even see most houses from the road and they have gates. Nobody is going to make these people buy a whole new roof when this one is functioning. It was noted and stated in the future the if problems develop the roof would need replaced. I posted the pic just to see what anyone had to say in regards to maybe seen that before, or some insight. I observed noted and moved on. Thanks for all the contributions from everyone

Unaceptable installation under any standard in my book.
The roof shakes should have been stripped or at the very least, installation to 2" thick purlins @ 2’ O.C. installed over the shingle directly to the rafters. But since this is roof shakes, that would not have a good outcome due to its roughnest and deformation.

Check out this link here for proper installation of 26 or 29 gauge metal roofing.

http://www.unioncorrugating.com/MasterRib.html

And click on the metal roof installation guide. :slight_smile:

Wayne -

Although as home inspectors, we don’t do code inspections I would certainly expect a home inspector to have knowledge of major issues.

About once a month I run into some yoyo thats put a 3rd comp roof over the first 2 roofs. I’ll see a new layer of wood shakes over an old layer of wood shakes. OR new comp roof over wood shake. Recently saw new Timberline over old Tar & Gravel. AND they get written as IMPROPERLY INSTALLED, with recommendation for removal and repair or replacement AND to verify insurability and acceptability of the roofing with your insurance company, local code authority and lender prior to closing.

90% of the time the lender, insurance company or codes make them correct it to sell … The other 10% of the time the seller refuses and the deal flips AND seller sits on the house or turns it into a rental.

FINAL statement … To meet code AND normally be eligible for any manufacturers warranty, something has to be installed per the MANUFACTURERS INSTALLATION GUIDELINES and Metal Roofing over Wood Shake is not PMI

My record is 5 layers. Home built in 1910 had the original wood shakes under 4 layers of comp. You should have seen the bowing of the roof rafters, even without snow. Observe, document, suggest, let the buyer decide. Take Dan B’s narrations seriously.

Who says it is not approved?

Me to. Not inspecting but roofing trades experance.
They almost applied a sixth.
The salesman was not paid for the mistake.
The owner riped and re-decked the roof and was not happy but got a fare wage.
Shake with 5/8 ply, 3 asphalt shingles with 1/4" ply and last looked like one asphalt shingle application because of the flashing covering the bottom layers.:shock: