"Lead-Safe Work Practices" online video course

Lead Facts for Inspectors
by Nick Gromicko

The use of lead in the building of dwellings dates all the way back to the Romans and even then they knew it was not safe. Before 1955 it still made up to 50% of the contents of paint and it was finally banned in residential homes in 1978. It can be difficult to spot the symptoms of lead poisoning because the systems are often thought to be from other ailments, the best way to confirm lead poisoning is with a blood test. While old paint is the biggest concern for homeowners with older homes, one should also verify that their plumbing is not made of lead.

This is an original 1950’s era bathroom. The clients advised that after purchase they plan on updating this room entirely. The clients were advised that EPA procedures must be followed by the contractor for testing and containment of lead based paint.

The insulation installed appears to be loose fill Rockwool. Rockwool insulation is spun from superheated minerals. It has a good insulation value and is resistant to fire. Although this material is not commonly installed in this area it is a modern product that is considered safe to install.

Great class! Well I went downstairs and took a picture of my concrete wall which was painted twice since 1958. Its current color is Green Bay Packer Gold, and it use to be white. The question is, does the 1958 white contain lead? I will buy a kit and test it, following the rules and advise given to me in the class. I atteached a picture of my gold wall with Brett Farve! Go Packers

I was on an inspection and saw renovations were being conducted. They were following the lead safe work practices.

This is a photo of a window that was removed and the area was sealed with plastic to prevent lead dust from entering the living quarters.

DSC04727.JPG

I had taken the original lead renovator course in 2010. This course was a great refresher course and helped reinforce the basics. Thanks for all the training videos, there are a great tool to keep our skills up to snuff on many areas.

So I am to take a picture of a renovation with lead paint? Exactly where do I find that? I wish I would have known before I spent all this time watching the video and taking notes that I would not be allowed to finish the course.

I am very surprised to learn that before 1955 paint in homes were composed of up to 50% lead. That’s a lot! It’s also interesting that the Lead Facts for Inspectors article states how soil may have been contaminated to a degree by leaded gasoline with high concentrations of lead.
It is also good to note that consuming certain vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, calcium and iron has been shown to reduce the absorption of lead into the bloodstream.

The entry door to the work area must be covered by 2 layers of plastic sheeting. The window to the right of the door must be sealed on the inside with plastic sheeting and tape. Waning signs must also be placed appropriately.

I read “Lead Facts” and “Lead Facts for Inspectors.” There are some serious hazards with lead poisoning. I would be curious to know what it would take to remove lead from the whole house. Is there a way to cover the entire house or does it have to be section by section?

The image I have attempted to post is of a window with them painted with lead paint and then painted over again, possibly in an attempt to encapsulate the lead. This image shows how real the threat of lead is, especially considering that the bed of a child is right against the window contaminated with lead based paint on both the interior and exterior trim.

Carpet beetles are a real pest problem often overlooked by home owners and renters alike. Because the adults love outdoors and larva overlooked, they aren’t as easily noticed and most of the damage they do is often overlooked as pet damage.

Here is an image of some lead based paint that will require to be blocked off since its outside and the neighbors have children the areas of work must be fully contained since there is wind that may carry the particles over toward the childrens yard.

sdhpc02a.jpg

Good coarse.

This is a roof over an attached garage. The roof is about 5 years old with architectural shingles. There appears to be some sagging between the rafters starting.

DKI_708.jpg

The procedures for removing lead are quite intensive due to the dust risk. The tiniest amount can have devastating effects on children especially under 6. The damage done to children under 6 is most likely irreversible.

Attached is a picture of a dryer vent terminating in the crawl space. Aside from the lint collecting in the crawl space moisture is also being introduced through the dryer vent which can lead to future moisture problems affecting the underneath of the flooring, floor joists, etc.

I read the article on Aluminum wiring. In all of my inspections, I have yet to run across a home with single strand aluminum branch wiring. I find it interesting that single strand aluminum wiring is not permitted, yet all of my inspections have aluminum main service wiring. Single strand not allowed but multiple strand main service is allowed.

Essay for the exercises:
“The eave of the front right corner of the home at 1234 main street Townville ST 12345 was noted to have loose paint materials, and according to municipal records, the home was constructed in 1978. It is possible the loose paint materials may expose and produce lead and may be a hazard to the inhabitants of the home. See http://www.epa.gov/lead for more information, and have the loose paint materials in and on this home tested for lead, for safety.”

It is really shocking how little lead it can take to contaminate an area, and how culturally ignored this is by the everyday repair contractors and painters I have encountered. I think lead poisoning is a severe risk, and the facts prove this correct.