This Thread is Dedicated for Students of the EPA Certified Renovator course

This thread is dedicated for students of the EPA Certified Renovator course located at http://www.nachi.org/lead-safety-rrp-course.htm

Feel free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students.

This thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

If you need to contact the course instructor,

(students will receive a timely response within 24 hours during the work week and by close of business on Monday for questions received over a weekend)
Thank you.

**Great course. pretty tough. now my brain hurts. lol :shock:

Your Results

**Congratulations!  You've passed this exam with a final score of      *96*!**  Below is your unique session code.  This code will help us verify your score if the need should ever arise, and if you're  taking this exam within the context of an online course you will need your unique session code to finish that course.

Unique Session Code: EDU-0000-2371-76

Is this still the case? Note: InterNACHI has applied for, but not yet received, EPA approval for this e-Learning course.

Hey Nick, the only problem i see with this course is even after the EPA approval I still cant be certified because of this

" After you have passed this online training, you will also be required to complete two hours of hands-on training delivered by an EPA-accredited training provider and pass a final in-person exam to receive your EPA Certified Renovator status"

I would still have to do another one somewhere else…

The regular EPA course is about a 6 hour clasroom setting and then a protored test. Pretty easy to pass.

No.
After EPA approval, you’ll be able to take InterNACHI’s online portion of the class for free, then we’ll send you to a local EPA-approved instructor for your 2-hour hands-on portion for a small fee (to pay for the instructor’s time and materials).

Thanks Ben. Any ETA on approval?

Not quite.
It’s required to be an 8-hour class (8 hours of classroom-instruction time). No short cuts.
8a-5p, includes 1-hour lunch and 30-minute final exam.
If it’s shorter, it’s not an approved course.
Run away! Or ask for your money back.

Nope.
We simply wait for EPA approval.

I got my certificate from the EPA, and I am not going to return it because my class was fast learners.

Good stuff Ben.

Just a reminder…All training is good for the sake of acquiring additional knowledge, but note that the EPA lead certification requirements are applicable only in those states where the local governments do not have equal or greater restrictions. Being EPA certified is, in some states, insufficient and does not qualify you to perform lead inspection or abatement. Some states, such as Missouri, requires even EPA certified lead inspectors to be licensed with the state. Closely examine your individual state requirements before deciding to market any certifications that you might obtain. Check this out.

Federal and state government(s) take lead quite seriously. It has been known to cause severe brain damage in children (resulting in their growing up to become severely mentally impaired and, in a few more severe cases, real estate salesmen).

**Do I have to be licensed by the Lead Licensing Program to conduct renovation and remodeling activities in a dwelling that contains lead-based paint?
**Not Currently. Renovation firms who perform renovation for compensation in pre-1978 residential housing and child-occupied facilities in Missouri will be required to be certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency(EPA) after April 22 , 2010. Incidental lead-based paint disturbance through remodeling activities or general maintenance does not meet our definition of abatement, therefore Lead Abatement Licenses are not required. Guidance is available from the Lead Licensing Program or the U.S. EPA for conducting renovation and remodeling activities safely.

Can I collect paint chip, soil, or dust wipe samples without being licensed as a lead inspector or risk assessor?
If you are collecting paint chip, soil, or dust wipe samples in order to determine the presence or concentration of lead as part of a Lead Inspection, Lead Risk Assessment, Lead Hazard Screen, or Clearance Inspection then you must be licensed as a lead inspector or risk assessor.

Ben,
Great classs as always!

The hands on portion pulled it all together.

As an inspector this will be of limited use unless inspectors can be certified as observers or auditors of RRP contractors for homeowners.

Thanks for another course,
Ron

Thanks Ben,
Look forward to the Hands-on. Any idea if North Carolina will ever accept any of these classes?

Marty

I would like to get an interpretation on the term “renovation”.
Does anyone have an official glossary for NJ?

*Renovation *means the modification of any existing structure, or portion thereof, that results in the disturbance of painted surfaces, unless that activity is performed as part of an abatement as defined by this part (40 CFR 745.223). The term renovation includes (but is not limited to): The removal, modification or repair of painted surfaces or painted components (e.g., modification of painted doors, surface restoration, window repair, surface preparation activity (such as sanding, scraping, or other such activities that may generate paint dust)); the removal of building components (e.g., walls, ceilings, plumbing, windows); weatherization projects (e.g., cutting holes in painted surfaces to install blown-in insulation or to gain access to attics, planing thresholds to install weather-stripping), and interim controls that disturb painted surfaces. A renovation performed for the purpose of converting a building, or part of a building, into target housing or a child-occupied facility is a renovation under this subpart. The term renovation does not include minor repair and maintenance activities.

Thanks John.
Where did you get this definition/info?