Leakage at Solar W.H. TPR

Over here in Maui I’m still getting familiar with a few things. I saw this solar water heater and TPR valve has definitely been dripping/leaking at times. A quick Google search and just thinking it through I’m thinking it may be normal since it does get really hot here and I could see the water getting hot enough to cause the valve to trigger but also want to be sure I’m not looking past something. Does anyone in hot areas have any input?
IMG_1701

1 Like

Is it a potable water direct system? Totally normal.
However, there’s more to say. The TPR lifetime in such a case is not that long. I recommend refreshing that device every 10 years. For safety redundancy, check there’s more than one.

Is it a glycol loop? Not good, you’re boiling off the valuable fluid that’s not supposed to boil off.

Do you need freeze protection for cold clear nights? In Hawaiʻi not soo much, eh? But that’s the tricky thing for solar thermal in general.

Your pressure events can be when the controller shuts off due to excess tank temperature, or on system startup. Consider recommending a small TPR dribble pipe, so the hot steam does not cook the shingles too much.

Is Solar in your local SPO? Probably should be for Hawaiʻi.
Post pics of the tank/control for age & advice.

1 Like

how old was the prop, t&p require annual testing and usually replace 3-5 per most mfr.
green valve id tag may be cash-acme doubt it has ever been tested or serviced

also the rashed shingles are ready for replacement, ya think

2 Likes

Thanks guys… great info!! Yes, potable water system - backup electric tank in the garage is from 2013 so that is possibly the age of the whole system. And yeah, the roof is trashed.

How about installing an expansion tank, if none is present.

1 Like