Lesson learned

Did you “card him” to make sure he was union and paid up on his dues?

Don’t have to show a card if the first person doesn’t produce their receipt first. :slight_smile:

Jeff

Never asked if he was 134 but he knew more than the guy who wired the house:)

Jeff, anyone can do Electric work residential in Illinois correct?

If you are the homeowner, you can work on your own. Still need a permit and city inspection.
If you hired someone…
a) that person needs to be licensed by the town/city
or
b) the contractor that they are working for needs to be licensed which needs to be filed with the town/city that you are working. Therefor, that head person is responsible for the work that their guy(s) do.

In unincorporated areas, you do not need to be licensed, just where a state license is required (plumbers and roofers).

Jeff

Jeff ,I do not doubt you are correct but explain how outfits such as Sears,ABT,etc can come in and run new branch circuits while installing appliances then?

There’s somebody in the ‘office’ that has a license.
When was the last time Sears/K-Mart used their own technicians to do installations. They’re generally subbed out.

Jeff

Exactly, as you may recall I subbed for Sears and we went everywhere with an average of 200 miles per day driving .

So as you understand it a single license can cover a crew?
Plumbers?
Roofers?

They obviously get away with it somehow because all the trades are performed during installations .

SCABS:stuck_out_tongue:

I cannot comment on Illinois but in most jurisdictions in which I’ve worked, the license holder is ultimately responsible for the job but not required to present at the job site. A journeyman can be alone on a job or supervise other journeymen and apprentices. Apprentices usually cannot be on a job unless the license holder or a journeyman is present. Some jurisdictions also have a ratio of journeymen to apprentices that limits the number of apprentices on the job to ensure that the apprentices are properly supervised.