False Ground

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Please explain - what exactly is a “false” ground?

This house was originally wired ungrounded (a two wire system), and most of the three prong receptacles tested to have no ground.

I got this reading from one in a kitchen. I plugged in the other tester to see what indication I would get.

![](upload://flr0eoZ6qZdOOcU4s5yD7OCAi2.jpeg)

Now I see what Jerry has been telling me for so long - these three light testers can give a false reading.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jsmith10

I have seen this on many older homes.

Generally a wire is run from the green ground screw to the (normally white) neutral side.

There-by giving a reading of a good ground with those yellow three prong testers.

sharing an experiance.

--
Joe,
Vice-President, Idaho Chapter,
www.NachiIdaho.org

Inspected as though my family are to live or work there.

http://www.Treasurevalleyinspections.com

Originally Posted By: bhendry

Hi Jeff,

That's a great picture - rest assured very educational for many. Thanks.

Here's some info from the SureTest people:

"False Ground Indication
The neutral conductor can only be bonded to the ground conductor at the main neutral buss, where a large copper conductor carries all the return and faulted current back to the earth. Sometimes through error or ignorance, the neutral and ground are connected upstream from the service entrance. This condition is referred to as a false or bootleg ground. Common receptacle testers will test this condition as a normal wiring condition."

Regards,

Bill

![](upload://6W2YnX4wTESErcMziSzPMju9jcW.gif)

Thanks guys.

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Jeff,

I’ll give you a little tip…you’ll get that reading sometimes if the outlet is within 15’ of the panel. Don’t know why, but it happens to me all the time.

I see that message, and sure enough the panel is on the floor directly below me or near me somewhere.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman

kmcmahon wrote:
Jeff,
I'll give you a little tip....you'll get that reading sometimes if the outlet is within 15' of the panel. Don't know why, but it happens to me all the time.
I see that message, and sure enough the panel is on the floor directly below me or near me somewhere.

Keven,
My tester states it detects false grounds with 10' of outlet tested. I always assumed it did a resistance test but not sure. The resistance of 10' of 12g wire is very low.

Jeff,
Great pic. Can I add it to my "What you inspector does not know" list which I give to Realtors?

Rob Z.

rzimmerman wrote:
Jeff,
Great pic. Can I add it to my "What you inspector does not know" list which I give to Realtors?

Rob Z.

Be my guest Rob.

Kevin,

That actually makes sense if you consider this to be true;

Quote:
Sometimes through error or ignorance, the neutral and ground are connected upstream from the service entrance.

After that post, I re-read the literature that was provided with my SureTest. That is exactly what it states.

--
Jeff Pope
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jpeck

It is testing the resistance of the ground, and with no resistance, the ground is likely very short, i.e., a false ground as described above.

However, having a receptacle near (within 10-15 feet) the service equipment (notice that I did not say panel) where the neutral is bonded to ground can sometimes produce sufficiently low resistance to trigger the "false ground" indication.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Jerry you are correct…I should have said service equipment…semantics is everything.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: roconnor

to get a correctly wired indication of a 3-prong receptacle with a 2-wire system.

In fact, you should only see 2-prong standard receptacles, or 3-prong GFCI receptacles (marked "No Equipment Ground") on a 2-wire system ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong