Licensed in Another State

I am licensed in Virginia and looking to get licensed in North Carolina. Am I required to complete 80 hours of field training in North Carolina as part of the licensing process? Or is that solely for those who have never been a home inspector? Couldn’t find a clear answer with the Googles. Thank you for any assistance.

James

Contact the licensing authority in the State in which you want to get licensed. They will have the CURRENT and UP-TO-DATE information. Stuff you websearch my not be current - licensing authorities often make changes.

2 Likes

Welcome to our forum, James!..enjoy participating.

1 Like

Be sure to fully read through the Statutes and Rules when you have time. Also, check out the NC Standards Of Practice as the state has its own. What flies in Virginia may not work here.

.1004 EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE

(a) The Board shall consider equivalent experience of applicants who do not meet the experience requirements of GS 143-151.51(5)(a). Any one of the following descriptions of experience shall be considered sufficient to meet the equivalent experience requirements:

(b) Applicants may submit other experience in the design, installation, or inspection of buildings and electrical,mechanical, and plumbing systems. The Board’s Application Evaluation Committee shall consider such experience on a case-by-case basis.

.1005 RECIPROCITY

If an applicant is licensed as a home inspector in another state that has laws and rules that are similar to G.S. 143, Article 9F and to the rules of the Board, the Board shall accept that license as evidence of experience. However, the applicant shall satisfactorily complete the Board’s written examination and other licensing requirements before the Board shall issue the applicant a license.

Education Coordinator

Jennifer Hollyfield, jennifer.hollyfield@ncdoi.gov, 919-647-0022

Contact Jennifer. She should be able to confirm whether you’d have to make up hours since we are on 120 hr requirement here not 80. I would think if you meet the experience requirements then the 120 should be waived but you will still have to take the state exam, which is a little harder than the NHIE exam. Submit for a criminal background check and some other things. Also, you will have to tailor your inspection reports to match NC’s requirements. They are somewhat of a pain.

P.S. If you don’t pass the state exam the 1st time. I remember there is a 6 month wait period before you can take the exam again.

Also see the pdf for:

Top 5 NCHILB Standards of Practice Compliance Problems.pdf

Thank you very much. This is very informative. Exactly what I was looking for.

North Carolina does not have reciprocity with Virginia. You have several options

1. You can apply under the equivalent experience rule and see if they will accept your experience as a home inspector licensed in Virginia. This is solely at the discursion of the licensing board. You can either submit an application $35 or I suggest that you contact Rodney Daughtry, License Admin at 919-647-0096 and discuss it with him as he reviews the applications and makes the recommendations to the board.

2. The other option is pre-licensing. However, you’ll have to take the full 200 hours. 120 hour on-line course (InterNACHI’s course is NC approved) followed by 80 hours of field training from an NC approved trainer. This could be difficult to find an approved trainer in your area. You may have to go with one of the national training providers like ICA or AHIT.

3. The last option is if your a NC Licensed general contractor or a licensed engineer and have had your GC license for 6 moths you are eligible to sit for the exam. So you could take the NC contactor exam and if you pass wait 6 months then take the home inspector exam. The catch is you have to maintain your GC license as long as you’re a licensed HI in North Carolina.

No matter which way you qualify you must take and pass the NC Exam. 200 question 4 hours and requires a 70% to pass. The test is currently only offered in Raleigh, NC at the Department of Insurance.

Here’s a good article that lays out the details. How to Become a Home Inspector in North Carolina - Casa

3 Likes